Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Claire.

Watch a New Robot Fly Just Like a Bat

8 posts in this topic

Watch a new robot fly just like a bat.

Forget drones. Think bat-bots. Engineers have created a new autonomous flying machine that looks and maneuvers just like a bat. Weighing only 93 grams, the robot’s agility comes from its complex wings made of lightweight silicone-based membranes stretched over carbon-fiber bones, the researchers report today in Science Robotics. In addition to nine joints in each wing, it sports adjustable legs, which help it steer by deforming the membrane of its tail. Complex algorithms coordinate these components, letting the bot make batlike moves including banking turns and dives.

Read more: Science

3 people like this

4 people like this

That's neat!

1 person likes this

This is so cool to watch, tech is getting better and better in these areas for sure, not too long till you get to have your own Bladerunner owl or some other robo-critter

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Marcin said:

This is so cool to watch, tech is getting better and better in these areas for sure, not too long till you get to have your own Bladerunner owl or some other robo-critter

I was thinking when I was watching the video, imagine having one of those bat-bots as a kid, a far cry from flying a kite that's for sure!

2 people like this

Engineering based on natural design poses challenges yet reveals the elegance of evolution. Much to be said for listening to the land.

2 people like this

So some of the Bat-Gadgets might really work!  I think batman had some sort of outfit in the 50's that he used to fly like a bat.

That is so amazing... I think about when I was a kid, and we could never even imagine anything like that.