Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US to Iran: You're "On Notice"

Claire.

With Flynn putting Iran ‘on notice,’ the first days of President Trump’s foreign policy set a combative tone.

President Trump is advancing a combative and iconoclastic ­foreign policy that appears to ­sideline traditional diplomacy and concentrate decision-making among a small group of aides who are quickly projecting their new “America First” approach to the world.

Just before the Senate confirmed Trump’s new secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, on Wednesday, national security adviser ­Michael Flynn made a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room to deliver a tight-lipped warning to Iran over its most recent ballistic missile test. “As of today, we are officially putting Iran on notice,” Flynn said.

He blamed the previous Obama administration for failing to confront Iran forcefully enough over its “malign actions” and said Trump was changing course.

Read more: The Washington Post

Additional sources: POLITICO , Reuters

Edited by Kismit
Added additional news sources.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I saw that.

I think he is warning Iran that there is "a new sheriff in town" and the nonsense that Obama put up with won't be tolerated.

Also, I had a flash that a war could be on the horizon.

• Like 3

While I am not a fan of this administration so far I do like this harsh stance in this situation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, .ZZ. said:

Yeah, I saw that.

I think he is warning Iran that there is "a new sheriff in town" and the nonsense that Obama put up with won't be tolerated.

Also, I had a flash that a war could be on the horizon.

If anyone deserves the might of the US military smashing them about the head and neck, it is definitely Iran.  They are long overdue for some powerful comeuppance....dating back to 1979.

• Like 3

Just now, Thorvir said:

If anyone deserves the might of the US military smashing them about the head and neck, it is definitely Iran.  They are long overdue for some powerful comeuppance....dating back to 1979.

Yep, holding non-combatants hostage for 444 days and Carter had no clue how to respond. Good luck now.

• Like 3

I wonder if we'll see any assault dinghies rushing toward Naval Destroyers again?  :w00t:  I'spect a few gunner's mates are hoping.....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

While I am not a fan of this administration so far I do like this harsh stance in this situation.

something for everyone ---- ;)

• Like 3

From the video:  President Trump's National Security Advisor, Gen. Michael Flynn, interrupted the White House press briefing yesterday to deliver a statement that the US is putting Iran "on notice" after what he claimed were "destabilizing" acts by the Iranian government. Was he right? What will the US do?

• Like 4

I think there is little doubt that Iran is destabilizing the region.  They are a sovereign nation with obvious ambitions toward regional hegemony.  If nothing is done to slow them, they will either succeed or cause a war with S.A. or Israel - or both.  I'm not really sure that Trump yet knows what he wants to do.  I hope Mattis schools him up so that whatever choice he makes will be effective and not rash.  I believe Iran is a dangerous nation with nuclear weapons ambitions.  I believe that their IRGC and regular army, airforces and navy could be neutralized with air power.  We will NOT invade the nation, there is no upside to that.  By destroying their military infrastructure, command and control nodes and decimating as much of their trained manpower pool as possible, they just might be weakened enough to allow another attempt at a "green" revolution.  Failing that, there will be a deadly price to pay for Americans.  We will have to absorb deadly attacks on our soil, possibly, VERY deadly.  War is like that.  We would be guaranteed to pay more if they are ever allowed to become a nuke weapons state.  Those who dismiss the nuclear threat out of hand are just foolish, IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, and then said:

I think there is little doubt that Iran is destabilizing the region.  They are a sovereign nation with obvious ambitions toward regional hegemony.  If nothing is done to slow them, they will either succeed or cause a war with S.A. or Israel - or both.  I'm not really sure that Trump yet knows what he wants to do.  I hope Mattis schools him up so that whatever choice he makes will be effective and not rash.  I believe Iran is a dangerous nation with nuclear weapons ambitions.  I believe that their IRGC and regular army, airforces and navy could be neutralized with air power.  We will NOT invade the nation, there is no upside to that.  By destroying their military infrastructure, command and control nodes and decimating as much of their trained manpower pool as possible, they just might be weakened enough to allow another attempt at a "green" revolution.  Failing that, there will be a deadly price to pay for Americans.  We will have to absorb deadly attacks on our soil, possibly, VERY deadly.  War is like that.  We would be guaranteed to pay more if they are ever allowed to become a nuke weapons state.  Those who dismiss the nuclear threat out of hand are just foolish, IMO.

Impressive, well considered post!  A worrying situation to say the least....

• Like 1

My goodness. Can we please just get the hell out of the middle east already??

• Like 8

I read that what the Iranians did was within what the current treaty allows. So, I'd vote leave them alone. I'd not like to get embroiled in yet another Middle East war.

If we can prove that anything they are doing is illegal, then go to the UN. If the UN condemns it, and threatens violent actions, then the US should just station a US Submarine off the Iran coast, and whenever it appears they will do something like this launch, a pair of cruise missiles drops on them. You don't beat a dog to death for popping on the floor, you give him a swat and a scolding. The scolding alone, or doing nothing, will not prevent more poop on the floor. The swat is necessary to reinforce the desired behavior. It's about time we started swatting Iran when they misbehave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, and then said:

No offence mate but i'd rather have Iran with all it's problems and Islamic zeal as my neighbour than terror state Saudi Arabia and another thing, it hasn't escaped me, your obvious reference to both Israel and Saudi Arabia as some kind of innocent bystanders with a god given right to share rule the Middle East. They have all played a underhanded game in the Middle East. As much as I'm a supporter of Israel and its rights to live in peace i can't see how you can portray the Saudi's or even Israel as potential victims when the truth is that any future war will utterly decimate Iran. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

No offence mate but i'd rather have Iran with all it's problems and Islamic zeal as my neighbour than terror state Saudi Arabia and another thing, it hasn't escaped me, your obvious reference to both Israel and Saudi Arabia as some kind of innocent bystanders with a god given right to share rule the Middle East. They have all played a underhanded game in the Middle East. As much as I'm a supporter of Israel and its rights to live in peace i can't see how you can portray the Saudi's or even Israel as potential victims when the truth is that any future war will utterly decimate Iran. 

We'll cause all kinds of damage and death but we won't win the war.   If we're obsessed enough to attack Iran (even with our "standoff weapons" only, if continuing threats don't poll well) we'll have flung the lid to Pandora's box wide open.

11 hours ago, and then said:

What is your source for these beliefs?   They're a sovereign nation, that means like Israel they have protections under international law.  You don't get to go bomb Iran because of what you "believe".

And all of this military war talk and what to do and what not to do, what is your source for that?  A general or a military expert?

• Like 1

I'm thinking war with Iran is very likely.  The people who have been clamoring to attack Iran are in power now.  Trump has been dying to use the military for something as evidence in his offers to do martial law in Chicago, send troops to Mexico to fight "Bad Hombres", stop out ISIS, threats to North Korea, the Chinese South Seas thing and now this Iran thing.   Wars also tend to enhance populist president's prestige, which fits into his MO as well.   Of all the possible theaters of conflict, the Iran one is the best choice and most favored by the populace.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yamato said:

I think he's going to make our military so great they just might end up refusing his orders.

Not for Iran, North Korea, or even China.  Mexico maybe.

23 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Not for Iran, North Korea, or even China.  Mexico maybe.

Let's hope he falls into that hole with Mexico first then before he gets any further out, because I can hear his administration's spin doctors denying that it's even a war when he sends troops in.

1 hour ago, Yamato said:

We'll cause all kinds of damage and death but we won't win the war.   If we're obsessed enough to attack Iran (even with our "standoff weapons" only, if continuing threats don't poll well) we'll have flung the lid to Pandora's box wide open.

That depends. If you're referring to an Iraq style defeat on Iran and occupy then there's buckeye's chance of that, as there is no appetite in the America for such a costly war exposing U.S. troops to garrison the country. Pounding them from afar into giving up their weapons program might do that. But i doubt that Russia and Turkey will just sit back and allow America to make and break their alliances.

13 hours ago, and then said:

Oh please... like Israel and Saudi Arabia don't have similar aspirations.  

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

That depends. If you're referring to an Iraq style defeat on Iran and occupy then there's buckeye's chance of that, as there is no appetite in the America for such a costly war exposing U.S. troops to garrison the country. Pounding them from afar into giving up their weapons program might do that. But i doubt that Russia and Turkey will just sit back and allow America to make and break their alliances.

and thus the military industrial complex's will will be done regardless of who was elected. 

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

and thus the military industrial complex's will will be done regardless of who was elected. 

Absolutely! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I doubt it as well.  Like Daniel said in the OP, if we're going to attack Iran and think we'll have better relationships with Russia...

Who was it who said when the flow of goods cease across borders the flow of arms begins...  so they start out with the economic isolationism and diplomatic isolationism and then call anyone who doesn't support their progressive efforts to war an Isolationist.

We're already sanctioning Iran and nobody who's a Trump believer will acknowledge that Obama's sanctions on Iran were correct.   It's already been announced that there'll be more of the same.  Sanctions are a form of economic warfare already.   Obama was weak because he backed away from the Zionist-Neocon warmongering and now here we go piling more on.   My best hope at this point is that the "Notice" is only fluff and bluster to keep up appearances with who's driving our war with Iran (King Bibi etc).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, and then said:

Given how Iranian-backed millitias have been crushing ISIS scumbags throughout the region I really can't say that their interests conflict with ours at this point. In fact, they are a natural ally against all golf-sponsored extremists groups.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

Just now, TruthSeeker_ said:

Given how Iranian-backed millitias have been crushing ISIS scumbags throughout the region I really can't say that their interests conflict with ours at this point. In fact, they are a natural ally against all golf-sponsored extremists groups.

Fore!

• Like 2