Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Cryptid?

McFarland

Undoubtedly Bigfoot. :) It's the taiga around, you know.

• Like 1

For some reason, I'm partial to the Mongolian Death Worm.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon Mokele mbembe could very well be a real creature but not a dinosaur, will have to check but I'm pretty sure the congo hasn't been there for 66MY. In  my mind its more likely to be a giant semiaquatic tortoise/turtle without a shell, a case of convergent evolution. Looks like a small sauropod because it fits a similar niche in the environment. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lone Timelord said:

will have to check but I'm pretty sure the congo hasn't been there for 66MY

It hasn't, you're quite right. 

10 minutes ago, Lone Timelord said:

Looks like a small sauropod because it fits a similar niche in the environment. 

No, it can't do that. Remember that sadly instead of being cool, moody, interesting animals that lived in swamps, sauropods now are known to have been great big straight things that hung around on plains.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldrover said:

It hasn't, you're quite right. 

No, it can't do that. Remember that sadly instead of being cool, moody, interesting animals that lived in swamps, sauropods now are known to have been great big straight things that hung around on plains.  

Ok then fair enough so lets think from an evolutionary perspective on how some archaic tortoise would come to resemble such a creature; long neck so it can graze shoreline plants without having to drag its bulk from the river, lack of a shell as there are no predators that pose a threat to such a beast, massive size due to abundance of food and long tail as a means of propulsion maybe? only speculating but it is a feasible creature in my mind. 

Edited by Lone Timelord
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lone Timelord said:

Ok then fair enough so lets think from an evolutionary perspective on how some archaic tortoise would come to resemble such a creature; long neck so it can graze shoreline plants without having to drag its bulk from the river, lack of a shell as there are no predators that pose a threat to such a beast, massive size due to abundance of food and long tail as a means of propulsion maybe? only speculating but it is a feasible creature in my mind. 

All the features you've come up with there are known in turtles and tortoises. Not all at the same time, but none the less all perfectly plausible. 

There's an Indian turtle species (can't remember the name) with a hugely long neck, which it can extent rapidly to catch prey. And of course there are soft shelled turtles. As for massive size, the leatherback is huge, much bigger than people realise, biggest example ever comes from West Wales at nearly 9 feet.  And some species of turtle have surprisingly long tails. In fact an animal like you describe is proposed by someone as a potential future animal in some speculative zoology thing. 

Trouble is, Mokele membe doesn't necessarily describe an animal that looks anything like it. In the BBC programme 'Congo' the local forest tribe there identified a rhino as being Mokele mbembe. In Western tradition it's always portrayed as being sauropod like, and the rhino like one is supposed to be called 'Chipekwe', but the reality is it's much a more fluid term. The stories we get are cherry picked.

• Like 1

Favorite - Bigfoot.   I think.   Mokele mbembe would rank high too because it would be so cool for it to really exist.    Does "bigfoot" span to encompass Yeti and Yowi and all the other bigfoot type creatures?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Favorite - Bigfoot.   I think.   Mokele mbembe would rank high too because it would be so cool for it to really exist.    Does "bigfoot" span to encompass Yeti and Yowi and all the other bigfoot type creatures?

The modern bigfoot tradition is traceable back to the yeti, so really the yeti is the thing that encompasses bigfoot. 

• Like 2

Sea monstaaaahz (and water monsters generally)

CvNQlogWIAAxgI1.jpg

• Like 3

The Dogman has been my favorite cryptid for the past one and a half years, ever since I first learned about it :)

Edited by Hi-NRG Eurobeat Man
spelling error
  • Like 1