Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Europa Lander Concept

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Receives Science Report on Europa Lander Concept

A report on the potential science value of a lander on the surface of Jupiter’s icy moon Europa has been delivered to NASA, and the agency is now engaging the broader science community to open a discussion about its findings

In early 2016, in response to a congressional directive, NASA’s Planetary Science Division began a pre-Phase A study to assess the science value and engineering design of a future Europa lander mission.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 7

Cant wait for this one!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Cant wait for this one!

Bear in mind this is just the science proposal outlining the potential scientific benefits of such a mission. It's not even on the drawing board yet. As of this moment there is no actual mission for you to wait for.

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Bear in mind this is just the science proposal outlining the potential scientific benefits of such a mission. It's not even on the drawing board yet. As of this moment there is no actual mission for you to wait for.

No wonder the concept drawing looks so unrealistically out of date.

6 hours ago, seanjo said:

Good move, if there is other life in this Solar System then it will be on Europa.

I don't want to burst the bubble but I'm guessing there won't be.

All these worlds are yours Earthmen EXCEPT EUROPA. Attempt no landings there....

• Like 1

finally

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seanjo said:

Probably, but they believe there is a salt water "Ocean" under the ice and with the gravitational pull of Jupiter causing geological stress, there is also heat within the core of Europa, these are prime conditions for a warm ocean with oasis's of black smokers encouraging life to grow and thrive.

Thanks seanjo for the tip, I found this snippet about black smokers and thought others might enjoy it too.

• Like 1

I mis-read this as "In Europa"...and thought "not that hard to find here..." :P

Edited by Aardvark-DK

• 1 month later...

It seems we are going to have to wait a few years longer for a Europa lander. The FY2018 budget proposal contains no funding for this mission.