Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Trees Vegetarian?

Claire.

Are Trees Vegetarian?

Humans can be vegetarians, choosing to forgo meat, but what about trees? After all, trees need only soil, sunlight and water to survive, right?

"The short answer is no," said Nicholas Money, a professor of botany at Miami University in Ohio. "Plants are not vegetarian. But the devil, as always, is in the details." Those details depend on how strictly vegetarianism is defined. Trees don't directly "eat" animals, but they do consume them with the help of fungi, Money said.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3

I don't know about "trees", but there are a number of plant species which prefer a carnivorous diet.

This list of carnivorous plants is a comprehensive listing of all known carnivorous plant species, of which more than 750 are currently recognised.[1]

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_carnivorous_plants

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

Theres a story about a tree that eats sheep or humans, i think its in the Amazon rainforest?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Theres a story about a tree that eats sheep or humans, i think its in the Amazon rainforest?

I don't think that story is true.

The largest mammal known for a fact to be on the "dinner plate" of a carnivorous plant is a large rat or similarly sized small rodent.

I think the tale was exaggerated after seeing small mammals trapped and, uh, "eaten" by slimy, caustic enzymes from these carnivorous plant.

There is no evidence of even a human child being eaten by a carnivorous plant.

Not saying it's not possible, just not likely.

Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/10/141030-carnivorous-plants-halloween-largest-weird-bugs-science/

• Like 1

Many people bury their pets under their favourite fruit trees and swear that the fruits never tasted sweeter.

• Like 1