Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge hole forms in in Oroville Dam

seeder

A gaping hole continues to grow in the spillway of America's tallest dam - causing massive erosion and threatening major overflow

On Tuesday, a huge hole formed in the spillway of California's Oroville Dam
    Officials say the hole will continue to grow until it hits bedrock
    Right now, the spillway isn't releasing enough water to keep up with the lake's intake
    So there's a threat that the lake will overflow at some point on Saturday, engaging an emergency spillway that hasn't been used since the dam was opened in 1968
    If that happens, officials won't be able to control the water flow, and it can cause even more erosion as water sweeps through vegetation on its way down to the river below

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4209546/Nations-tallest-dam-Lake-Oroville-damaged-amid-storms.html#ixzz4YIsa5eu5

• Like 5

I wouldn't stay living below that.  I would pack up and move as much as I could out of its way.  If they can't explain the hole they can see, what is happening up above it?  It could all shift.

• Like 4

The dam is fine, problem is with the spillway. I think they rebuilt the levees in that area a few years ago so hopefully it holds.

• Like 1

Thank God it rained.  There must be some very relieved people there.  Last I heard it was turning into a desert.

They are saying the spillway is about to fail.  They have ordered an evacuation of the area.  As the tallest damn in the US even the spillway failing could be disastrous.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/California-dam-Oroville-evacuation/2017/02/12/id/773228/

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

They are saying the spillway is about to fail.  They have ordered an evacuation of the area.  As the tallest damn in the US even the spillway failing could be disastrous.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/California-dam-Oroville-evacuation/2017/02/12/id/773228/

My wife grew up around there and she is following this on a live stream. Traffic is jammed up!

• Like 2

UK news running with it too

A hazardous situation is developing': More than 162,000 residents near America's tallest dam are told to leave as water continues to burst through an eroded spillway - prompting fears of massive floods

Residents in Butte, Sutter and Yuba counties in Northern California are under mandatory evacuation orders
    Authorities fear the collapse of the emergency spillway at Lake Oroville Dam
    Releases through the dam's main, heavily damaged spillway have increased to 100,000 cubic feet per second in a frantic effort to drain Lake Oroville below
    Oroville lake depths are decreasing rapidly
    Water should stop flowing over the emergency spillway in several hours
    This doesn't mean the dam won't collapse from severe erosion  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4218388/Residents-near-Oroville-Dam-evacuated-flooding-fears.html#ixzz4YX6pIOAx

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Holy crow!  I really wonder if it is all going you go

I guess we will all know soon.... but fingers crossed everyone gets out of there

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

My wife grew up around there and she is following this on a live stream. Traffic is jammed up!

I bet its a madhouse trying to get out of there.  I hope no one is killed if it does go.

• Like 3

from my post above.....take this in.....really...take it in....its a helluva lot of water and pressure

Releases through the dam's main, heavily damaged spillway have increased to 100,000 cubic feet per second

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, seeder said:

I guess we will all know soon.... but fingers crossed everyone gets out of there

I sure hope so.  That would be so freaky living there

• Like 2

We just saw that traffic on the highway is at full stop.

They are saying some have been stuck for 3 hours without going anywhere.

• Like 3

Wow !  Thats some wild story !  

Even under the best conditions, hw would you repair this 

• Like 4

We just heard that folks are really working together. RV parks are opening up for people for no charge, stables are offering free stall spaces, people with homes away from the evacuation area are letting folks stay over, there are no motel rooms available of course.

Also, gasoline stations and food stores don't have anything left.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 3

Um.... this is causing a panic?

The spillway is a good distance from the dam itself, and they have a 3rd option for releasing the water. The dam itself isn't threatened by this.

Don't let the news-hounds scare you, this is just the kind of drama they push to get ratings and more money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

The spillway is a good distance from the dam itself, and they have a 3rd option for releasing the water. The dam itself isn't threatened by this.

Don't let the news-hounds scare you, this is just the kind of drama they push to get ratings and more money. 

The news media didn't order the evacution of towns. 

I'm 7000 miles away. I'm not scared. Did you read any of the stories?  They cannot control the overflow. Where it spills isn't relevant. The volume of water is relevant. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Back up what you say?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, seeder said:

Back up what you say?

Hey, not trying to spoil the party or anything, but what I saw was a hole in a spillway, and they said the erosion would end when it hit bedrock. The overhead view shows that the spillways is downriver from the Dam.

Live reporting here -

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

Hey, not trying to spoil the party or anything, but what I saw was a hole in a spillway, and they said the erosion would end when it hit bedrock. The overhead view shows that the spillways is downriver from the Dam.

Live reporting here -

Battle to stop a collapse at America's tallest dam as 200,000 residents flee amid fears of a 100ft-deep flood that could stretch for 40 miles 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4218388/Residents-near-Oroville-Dam-evacuated-flooding-fears.html

I think 100 foot deep flood is most definitely something to be concerned about for the poor citizens who live below the dam

• Like 4

2 hours ago, glorybebe said:

I think 100 foot deep flood is most definitely something to be concerned about for the poor citizens who live below the dam

It would be, if that was possible.

However, this is what confuses me; the spillway is hundreds of yards from the Dam itself, and the Dam is in no danger of collapse.  The Spillway is just a concrete-lined trench, and they have already shown that they can cut off the flow.... that is why we have pics of the hole that the rushing water made in it.

The media always exaggerates the danger and never admit when they are wrong, have they triggered a panic here?

Just now, AnchorSteam said:

It would be, if that was possible.

However, this is what confuses me; the spillway is hundreds of yards from the Dam itself, and the Dam is in no danger of collapse.  The Spillway is just a concrete-lined trench, and they have already shown that they can cut off the flow.... that is why we have pics of the hole that the rushing water made in it.

The media always exaggerates the danger and never admit when they are wrong, have they triggered a panic here?

If you go to the link Myles posted, it shows what is happening.  The overflow is bypassing the dam

• Like 2