Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds of Undocumented Immigrants Arrested

Claire.

Federal agents conduct immigration enforcement raids in at least six states.

U.S. immigration authorities arrested hundreds of undocumented immigrants in at least a half-dozen states this week in a series of raids that marked the first large-scale enforcement of President Trump’s Jan. 26 order to crack down on the estimated 11 million immigrants living here illegally.

The raids, which officials said targeted known criminals, also netted some immigrants who did not have criminal records, an apparent departure from similar enforcement waves during the Obama administration that aimed to just corral and deport those who had committed crimes.

Trump has pledged to deport up to 3 million undocumented immigrants with criminal records. Last month he also made a change to the Obama administration’s policy of prioritizing deportation for convicted criminals, substantially broadening the scope of who the Department of Homeland Security can target to include those with minor offenses or no convictions at all.

Read more: The Washington Post

• Like 3

In Los Angeles 160 were arrested, of them 150 have criminal histories. I guess 10 is considered some.

LOS ANGELES (KABC) --

Immigration authorities arrested more than 160 people throughout Southern California over five days of raids, officials said Friday.

U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement said the "targeted enforcement operation" resulted in arrests of about 150 who had criminal histories. Of the other 10, five had been ordered deported or had been deported in the past.

ABC 7 Los Angeles link

• Like 2

I'm as liberal as they come, but a law is a law.  I am more for this, than thinking a stupid wall is going to stop illegal immigrants.  Round them up, whatever, but don't take my tax dollars for a barrier that is going to require an extra 8 minutes of thinking in the middle of the desert.  

• Like 5

I think Trump's plan to keep illegals out is a good plan , our country has been to lenient on allowing them here and it's gotten out of hand . If a person wants to come and live in our country go through the process they had to go through years ago. Make them prove they want to be part of our country and make it hard to do so . 

• Like 2

Obama had no trouble tossing out people who were actually criminals. That said, now people who didn't do anything except want to survive are being labeled criminals.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Darkenpath25 said:

I think Trump's plan to keep illegals out is a good plan , our country has been to lenient on allowing them here and it's gotten out of hand . If a person wants to come and live in our country go through the process they had to go through years ago. Make them prove they want to be part of our country and make it hard to do so . 

Believe me, the process of getting legal admission to the US is entirely too difficult, and too time consuming (you have to go on waiting lists that involve years and years for some countries).  No wonder people break the law -- it is hard to see the criminality in ignoring an artificial, man-made line in the dirt.  There is a Chinese proverb, "Pass a law, make a criminal."

People have a fear of the US being swamped by poor, illiterate people who have to go on welfare (the reality behind this fear is really racist but this is not admitted).  My feeling is more charitable -- immigrants throughout history have tended to self-select -- those with "get-up-and-go" are the ones who get up and go.  In other words, immigrants tend to be the more self-directed, ambitious, flexible, intelligent segment of the population.  Look at how well immigrant populations (Jews, Vietnamese, etc.) do in the States while those behind are not particularly distinguished.

Not every immigrant will turn into an ideal citizen; some will end up deported or in jail (I would prefer the latter for real criminals), but on balance a country with open immigration (or at least liberal immigration) will prosper over those who close themselves in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Agent0range said:

I'm as liberal as they come, but a law is a law.  I am more for this, than thinking a stupid wall is going to stop illegal immigrants.  Round them up, whatever, but don't take my tax dollars for a barrier that is going to require an extra 8 minutes of thinking in the middle of the desert.  

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could choose how our taxes are spent, like somehow my money will stop climate change, stop welfare abuse for legal and non-legal citizens, Palestinian aid provided by Obama, Iran funding for the nuke deal.  I would rather pay for a wall than any of those non-return on investment funding efforts. .

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Obama had no trouble tossing out people who were actually criminals. That said, now people who didn't do anything except want to survive are being labeled criminals.

Then they came for the Mexicans, and I wasn't a Mexican....

It was sad when Obama did it, still is.   We could pass a law or write an Executive Order to go after "Illegal natives" too, or whatever. There's all kinds of subgroups of people to stick "Illegal" onto but it's not politically correct to do it.  That's the real difference.  They found a scapegoat that they can get away with going after.   The illegal immigrants.   So much misguided anger and hatred toward them, it's the same old thing with every group-to-hate, another witchhunt.  

If Trump said he wants to get rid of three million illegals I'm going to just take his word for it.  :(

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Believe me, the process of getting legal admission to the US is entirely too difficult, and too time consuming (you have to go on waiting lists that involve years and years for some countries).  No wonder people break the law -- it is hard to see the criminality in ignoring an artificial, man-made line in the dirt.  There is a Chinese proverb, "Pass a law, make a criminal."

People have a fear of the US being swamped by poor, illiterate people who have to go on welfare (the reality behind this fear is really racist but this is not admitted).  My feeling is more charitable -- immigrants throughout history have tended to self-select -- those with "get-up-and-go" are the ones who get up and go.  In other words, immigrants tend to be the more self-directed, ambitious, flexible, intelligent segment of the population.  Look at how well immigrant populations (Jews, Vietnamese, etc.) do in the States while those behind are not particularly distinguished.

Not every immigrant will turn into an ideal citizen; some will end up deported or in jail (I would prefer the latter for real criminals), but on balance a country with open immigration (or at least liberal immigration) will prosper over those who close themselves in.

Most who claim their ancestors arrived legally do not take into account that quotas did not exist in the same capacity as they do today or that it did not cost an extravagant amount of cash to become naturalized.

5 minutes ago, Yamato said:

Then they came for the Mexicans, and I wasn't a Mexican....

It was sad when Obama did it, still is.   We could pass a law or write an Executive Order to go after "Illegal natives" too, or whatever. There's all kinds of subgroups of people to stick "Illegal" onto but it's not politically correct to do it.  That's the real difference.  They found a scapegoat that they can get away with going after.   The illegal immigrants.   So much misguided anger and hatred toward them, it's the same old thing with every group-to-hate, another witchhunt.  

If Trump said he wants to get rid of three million illegals I'm going to just take his word for it.  :(

Oh, don't worry. It won't be long before it'll be illegal to speak out against the POTUS. I've already heard people tossing around the word treason. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Glockornothing said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could choose how our taxes are spent, like somehow my money will stop climate change, stop welfare abuse for legal and non-legal citizens, Palestinian aid provided by Obama, Iran funding for the nuke deal.  I would rather pay for a wall than any of those non-return on investment funding efforts. .

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the govt didn't do any of that?   Let us keep more of our own money to spend it as we see fit, on climate change, Palestinians, all kinds of things really.  Wouldn't that be better?

How about we just go after the illegal-illegals?    How about we just fight the crime-crime?   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yamato said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the govt didn't do any of that?   Let us keep more of our own money to spend it as we see fit, on climate change, Palestinians, all kinds of things really.  Wouldn't that be better?

How about we just go after the illegal-illegals?    How about we just fight the crime-crime?   

If Americans were allowed to choose which programs their tax money was being spent on, what programs do you realistically believe would be under funded?  I personally believe foreign aid, welfare, and climate change tax funds among many others would be funded to the point they would cease to exist.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh, don't worry. It won't be long before it'll be illegal to speak out against the POTUS. I've already heard people tossing around the word treason. 

Toss them free pocket Constitutions back, and save them before they're drowned in lawsuits. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claire. said:

Federal agents conduct immigration enforcement raids in at least six states.

U.S. immigration authorities arrested hundreds of undocumented immigrants in at least a half-dozen states this week in a series of raids that marked the first large-scale enforcement of President Trump’s Jan. 26 order to crack down on the estimated 11 million immigrants living here illegally.

The raids, which officials said targeted known criminals, also netted some immigrants who did not have criminal records, an apparent departure from similar enforcement waves during the Obama administration that aimed to just corral and deport those who had committed crimes.

Trump has pledged to deport up to 3 million undocumented immigrants with criminal records. Last month he also made a change to the Obama administration’s policy of prioritizing deportation for convicted criminals, substantially broadening the scope of who the Department of Homeland Security can target to include those with minor offenses or no convictions at all.

Read more: The Washington Post

So he is deporting them because  1 They are here illegally and  2.They broke our other laws. What's the problem, its not like they had saved top secret emails on their private server, if that was all they did we could have just classified them as careless and moved on.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Glockornothing said:

If Americans were allowed to choose which programs their tax money was being spent on, what programs do you realistically believe would be under funded?  I personally believe foreign aid, welfare, and climate change tax funds among many others would be funded to the point they would cease to exist.

War, "health care",

Less bogeymen, more lawn chairs.

I agree with enforcing immigration laws. We can not allow unrestricted immigration. Heck, probably half a billion or so from Central America, Asia, Africa and other second and third world areas would love to settle here. I am for immigration but only legal managed immigration. I always wonder to how the word 'illegal' gets translated to 'undocumented'?

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Glockornothing said:

So he is deporting them because  1 They are here illegally and  2.They broke our other laws. What's the problem, its not like they had saved top secret emails on their private server, if that was all they did we could have just classified them as careless and moved on.

How about the distinction between people with no convictions and those with convictions, or between misdemeanors and felonies?   I take some legal account of those differences.  I think it's possible these new powers he granted himself will be tested in various ways.  I think it might wind up helping to answer the question - just how powerful is the President really?  

You know if we truly want to help these people instead of rounding them up and shipping them south of the border they should be given free education at Berkley University.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I agree with enforcing immigration laws. We can not allow unrestricted immigration. Heck, probably half a billion or so from Central America, Asia, Africa and other second and third world areas would love to settle here. I am for immigration but only legal managed immigration. I always wonder to how the word 'illegal' gets translated to 'undocumented'?

It shouldn't be translated to be the same, it's a different thing.  A child's illegal alien mother is taken, the illegal alien neighbors or friends love the child and take the child and raise her without drawing attention to themselves.  She grows up.  She didn't come here "illegally", she never broke a law.  Whose fault it is for the lack of documentation...well that's a matter of debate.

12 minutes ago, Yamato said:

It shouldn't be translated to be the same, it's a different thing.  A child's illegal alien mother is taken, the illegal alien neighbors or friends love the child and take the child and raise her without drawing attention to themselves.  She grows up.  She didn't come here "illegally", she never broke a law.  Whose fault it is for the lack of documentation...well that's a matter of debate.

I wonder what percentage of those arrested are in the situation you described above. Certainly the child is suffering for the poor choices of the mother in the above case. One would think the mother should take her children with her upon going back to her home country and shouldn't have been in the country illegally in the first place. It is a sad fact that children do suffer all the time for all different types of poor parenting decisions. Leniency will encourage more women to leave their children with relatives in the USA.

Edited by papageorge1

22 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It really IS that simple.  In a sane world, there would be no question at all about the need.  The Left want the doors open wide for the votes they represent, the Right, for the cheap labor.  The flow would stop nearly instantly if all benefits were discontinued and the jobs dried up.  The only walls we need are more cells for those who make it attractive to them to come.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acidhead said:

You know if we truly want to help these people instead of rounding them up and shipping them south of the border they should be given free education at Berkley University.

Too much helping, rounding up, shipping out.  Sounds like the boxes at UPS.   How about none of the above?

How about all the illegal American immigrants living up there?   You going to round them all up and ship them all back here or should you give them a free education at Seneca College of Applied Arts and Techology?   I don't want them here.  You're not sending your best. 

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I wonder what percentage of those arrested are in the situation you described above. Certainly the child is suffering for the poor choices of the mother in the above case. One would think the mother should take her children with her upon going back to her home country and shouldn't have been in the country illegally in the first place. It is a sad fact that children do suffer all the time for all different types of poor parenting decisions. Leniency will encourage more women to leave their children with relatives in the USA.

The laws are clear.  As Mr. Springsteen said, "Born in the USA Baby".   The mothers wise decision is because she was poor.  I mean, come on man, who's going to pick the fruit?