Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is God become the Universe?

taniwha

Hi there, I found this interesting maybe you will too...

The theory that God became the Universe is a theological doctrine that has been developed several times historically, and that holds that the creator of the universe actually became the universe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_becomes_the_Universe

Perhaps God and the Universe are one and the same?

Personally I believe it is possible.

If you have any further information to enlighten this topic, then please, you are most welcome to post it here.

Thank you and have fun :P

• Like 5

The universe is the body of God? That would mean we live in a Living Universe? 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, taniwha said:

If you have any further information to enlighten this topic, then please, you are most welcome to post it here.

From a Christian perspective, God and the universe are not one and the same because God created the universe.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

God and the universe are not one and the same because God created the universe.

So you think God can create but not become?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

From a Christian perspective, God and the universe are not one and the same because God created the universe.

Well, Christians, well most of them, believe God is everywhere, all at once. So maybe God created the universe and then moved in.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

From a Christian perspective...

Edited by taniwha
Technoglitch

33 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Sorry about the hiccup... what is your perspective?

Like Diechecker said, perhaps God moved in.  

It wouldn't surprise me...^_^

A human can create clothing and then wear it...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

I think from the link that the theory has changed with the times.  But I don't know much about it other than that. 

It makes reference to pantheism...

In this belief system the entire universe and everything within it, is divine ie.God. God is NOT a separate entity. God IS everything literally. This is known as pantheism.

I feel the same way.

2 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

A human can create clothing and then wear it...

And there's that old saying, "you are what you eat".

Gotta love ancient wisdom...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

A living Universe is not a problem for me.  The question, becomes is the Universe/God self aware and is it aware of us or is the Universe equal to a cow in a field and we are just a long for the ride?    If God/Universe is a living being of which we are a part of wouldn't that make us s sentient part of God, therefore we are also God?  Kind of like gut bacteria is a part of us.  

• Like 5

Qabalah basically holds that everything here is a reflection of the divine. The premise is that there were these 3 types of nothing out of which everything emanated. There was nothing, nothing, and nothing, and then there was something, and the something wanted to know what it was, so it projected itself. 

There you have it. The answer to the ultimate question. And the answer is about as informative as 42. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, taniwha said:

I think from the link that the theory has changed with the times.  But I don't know much about it other than that. 

It makes reference to pantheism...

I feel the same way.

Yes, I am an old time pantheist -  questions of ' belief ' aside, it seems to make logical sense . If one does want to 'have' a belief in some type of God, I think it should be all inclusive, and why make the concept different or apart .....  God always seems an assumption on the believers part  ... this seems more of a 'position'  one holds . . . .  a 'construct ' to fit the definition.  I am happy with that :) 

I also think we have many different concepts that we put under the collective of 'God'  , for example my above musings do not address 'creation' ,  but in that above scenario, it need not .   We also may not need to attach philosophical concepts like negative existence, withdrawing ,  creating  .... or personal philosophy / psychologu; individuation , redemption  ... or social rites mores and taboos .

But some seem to want their concept of God tied into all of that , and that creates complex religions and theologies .

So much simpler to ;  

Q  ' And , what is God ? '

A,  ( wide sweeping gesture ) ' All of this ' . 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, taniwha said:

This sounds a lot like the philosophy I subscribe to; Advaita; non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Hinduism.

Krishna speaking as the Universal Absolute:

I separated Myself from Myself and became all this.

I am the seed from which all this material universe sprouted.

I see the universe as a creative emanation, a divine play/drama of God/Brahman in which He separates Himself from Himself in Act I and then returns Himself to Himself in Act II. We are striving to again become One with the All.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wes4747 said:

Perhaps the universe is an ever expanding thought..

:tu: love your way of thinking.

15 hours ago, back to earth said:

Yes, I am an old time pantheist -  questions of ' belief ' aside, it seems to make logical sense . If one does want to 'have' a belief in some type of God, I think it should be all inclusive, and why make the concept different or apart .....  God always seems an assumption on the believers part  ... this seems more of a 'position'  one holds . . . .  a 'construct ' to fit the definition.  I am happy with that :) 

I also think we have many different concepts that we put under the collective of 'God'  , for example my above musings do not address 'creation' ,  but in that above scenario, it need not .   We also may not need to attach philosophical concepts like negative existence, withdrawing ,  creating  .... or personal philosophy / psychologu; individuation , redemption  ... or social rites mores and taboos .

But some seem to want their concept of God tied into all of that , and that creates complex religions and theologies .

So much simpler to ;  

Q  ' And , what is God ? '

A,  ( wide sweeping gesture ) ' All of this ' . 

I guess I have been a pantheist all along then... :-* Thanks back to earth for the insights.

13 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

This sounds a lot like the philosophy I subscribe to; Advaita; non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Hinduism.

I see the universe as a creative emanation, a divine play/drama of God/Brahman in which He separates Himself from Himself in Act I and then returns Himself to Himself in Act II. We are striving to again become One with the All.

Fascinating.

This dual concept I find appealing...deep....enticing even.

I am encouraged by creation stories...at the essence is some serious soul searching.

There's no doubt, viewing the universe from "higher" dimensions will create in us profound thoughts and connections.

Particularly I love your Krishna quotes.

Here's some inspired quotes by astronauts you may like...

If somebody'd said before the flight, "Are you going to get carried away looking at the earth from the moon?" I would have said, "No, no way." But yet when I first looked back at the earth, standing on the moon, I cried.

-Alan Shepard

And this:

We came all this way to explore the moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the earth.

-William Anders

Edited by taniwha
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Qabalah basically holds that everything here is a reflection of the divine. The premise is that there were these 3 types of nothing out of which everything emanated. There was nothing, nothing, and nothing, and then there was something, and the something wanted to know what it was, so it projected itself. 

There you have it. The answer to the ultimate question. And the answer is about as informative as 42.  

The Maori myth of creation has similar flavour to your description of the Qabalah.

The three states of the evolution of the universe, or progression of creation are as follows..

Te Kore...energy - potential, the void, nothingness.

Te Po...form - the dark, the night.

Te Ao-marama... emergence -  light and reality, dwelling place of humans.

It's really quite colourful in it's entirety.

http://maaori.com/whakapapa/creation.htm

• Like 1

22 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

So . first up you have a subscription   to non-dualism (God and creation are not two ) , yet you immediately quote " I separated Myself from Myself " - which is the seed of classical dualism .   The idea here Papa is that there was no separation of God and the Universe, its the same thing  !  

If I were you, I would stop that subscription  (its giving you conflicting info ! )  and get a new one ; 

http://www.cpp.edu/~jet/subscription.shtml

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taniwha said:

The Maori myth of creation has similar flavour to your description of the Qabalah.

The three states of the evolution of the universe, or progression of creation are as follows..

It's really quite colourful in it's entirety.

http://maaori.com/whakapapa/creation.htm

Thank you !  

Now if I simplified that  even more  and made it look stupid and incomprehensible and said it made as much sense as the answer ; '42'  ....  ......   ...............    

Those , with insight, can see similar and comparative concepts being formed / discovered in different cultures, one just has to be able to comprehend the specific cultural 'dressing' and expression . 

One could even compare some of  the ancient Egyptian with the Maori  (above )  and the thread topic with indigenous Australian beliefs . 

• Like 3

• The topic was locked