Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The British used to speak like Americans.

Four Winds

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm from the 'West beyond the West", British Columbia. I'm told that we speak quickly and use a lot of conjunctions.

I don't know that I've ever heard that accent, I probably have. I'm fairly sure I'd understand it. Although, as a Welshman, albeit a non Welsh Speaker but one who's got the cadence of the (Southern) language, our main claim is a reputation for being being able to pronounce anything, rather than understand it. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

At least we got rid of the "u" in words that don't need it.  :P

That says it all!

Goodnight folks! :lol:

• Like 4

Just now, oldrover said:

I don't know that I've ever heard that accent, I probably have. I'm fairly sure I'd understand it. Although, as a Welshman, albeit a non Welsh Speaker but one who's got the cadence of the (Southern) language, our main claim is a reputation for being being able to pronounce anything, rather than understand it. 

Welsh road signs. The worst!

4 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

Us "yanks" have no idea what a "Geordie" is, and the expression "he had a right go", we could get the meaning but it is something we would never say.

Sorry, a Geordie is someone from Newcastle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seeder said:

That was brilliant.  I might be a little in love with her. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

That says it all!

Goodnight folks! :lol:

Goodnight 'Zed Zed'. :sleepy:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Butler said:

click the vid title in top of vid to go to her youtube page, then see what else she has on her channel....she may have a load more stuff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Welsh road signs. The worst!

No, they're fine. I find English names strange. But I hate having to listen to the double menu when I call anywhere because it seems like they give you both options in both languages, in their entirety! Instead of just saying press 1 for one and 2 for the other. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Butler said:

I've always loved an accent.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

At least we got rid of the "u" in words that don't need it.  :P

The colour and flavour of our neighbour's labouring behaviour does no honour to the humour of the rumour of the splendour of our harbour. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, The Butler said:

The colour and flavour of our neighbour's labouring behaviour does no honour to the humour of the rumour of the splendour of our harbour.

I tip my hat to you sir.

Just the savings on ink and paper alone though.  Do it for the trees! :D

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 3

this is funny, he mentions the white Canadian accent

• Like 2

Americans love a standard British accent -- the view is not reciprocated.  That is nothing, however, compared to the dislike the British have for a French accent, which in turn is nothing compared to the dislike the French have for a British accent, which, in turn, is nothing compared to the dislike the French have for an American accent.  Consider, then, how much Americans just love French accents.  It's crazy.

• Like 2

again, this guy does some great funny accents

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I always thought that calling North American football, "football" was dumb because only one guy on each team can actually kick the ball.

Shame on you and shame on anyone who "liked" this post!

Your knowledge of the game is a insult to humanity... :lol:

Ok not really as most of you aren't American but ZZ is and he's also a big fan of the game and didn't correct you...2 guys on each team kick the ball during every game the kicker AND the punter! ;)

ZZ's going to receive a kick in the ass for that oversight... :rofl:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Just to add, I think those 'U's are indispensable. 

They are about as useful at the "//" in website addresses.The man responsible for that, regrets it.  https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/the-webs-inventor-regrets-one-small-thing/?_r=0

" The double slash, though a programming convention at the time, turned out to not be really necessary, Mr. Berners-Lee explained. Look at all the paper and trees, he said, that could have been saved if people had not had to write or type out those slashes on paper over the years — not to mention the human labor and time spent typing those two keystrokes countless millions of times in browser address boxes. (Today’s browsers, of course, automatically fill in the “http://” preamble when a user types a Web address.) "

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Ok not really as most of you aren't American but ZZ is and he's also a big fan of the game and didn't correct you...2 guys on each team kick the ball during every game the kicker AND the punter! ;)

:lol: I thought about pointing that out, but I am done trying to explain American football to non Americans.  The same as I am done trying to understand their soccer. :lol:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

:lol: I thought about pointing that out, but I am done trying to explain American football to non Americans.  The same as I am done trying to understand their soccer. :lol:

Aussie football rules. Go Geelong Cats!

At least everyone gets a chance to kick the damn thing.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Shame on you and shame on anyone who "liked" this post!

Your knowledge of the game is a insult to humanity... :lol:

ZZ's going to receive a kick in the ass for that oversight... :rofl:

LOL, I thought about that bud, but let it go :lol:

Damn it!  Four Winds beat me to it!

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Four Winds said:

2 of my ex gf's played soccer so against my will i actual learned to understand it :lol:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

They are about as useful at the "//" in website addresses.The man responsible for that, regrets it.  https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/the-webs-inventor-regrets-one-small-thing/?_r=0

Colo//r

Hono//r

Splendo//r ......... 

I don't get it. :P  I think U works much better. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Butler said:

Colo//r

Hono//r

Splendo//r ......... 

I don't get it. :P  I think U works much better. 

Well played.

giphy.gif

• Like 3