Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious sound recorded in Plymouth, UK

UM-Bot

Sounds pretty windy there. I wonder if this might be related, or might not be unrelated, to a sound rather like a distant foghorn which you can hear round here when there's enough wind and it's from the right direction (usually a southwesterly gale). I'm not saying it sounds exactly like that, but it would seem to be rather similar circumstances, and Plymouth isn't a hundred miles from here. (well actually it is 103 miles driving, but in a straight line it's probably somewhat less.) 

• Like 3

It's wind that blows directly through either some hollow pipes or tube steel that can be find on larger streetlight constructions or similar.

Plymouth is a city by the sea right? I think it more sounds like wind that blows directly against the aluminium mast on sailboats. It's the shrouds - the quite thin metal wires which are pieces of standing rigging which hold the mast up from side to side. When the winds blows hard the wires start to vibrate and you can hear that sound. I heard it many times down at the dock. You even hear the sound when the wire slaps against the mast. It can also be heard on flagpoles that use a wire instead of rope for hoisting the flag - same principle.

• Like 3

I have trees in my yard and when a fairly strong wind is blowing, there's a whistling sound as the wind passes through the branches and leaves.

Its defi the wind, we have an alleway between the houses and the wind sounds like a screaming woman whennit gets very windy

I couldn't hear any mysterious or creepy sound in that ????

Did they mean the wind 'whistling' ?

Peeps scraping the barrel for a 'mystery' here !

• Like 1

So many weird sounds out there.... but I think people are such shut-ins that way too many things sound strange when they finally go outside. 

I once heard a tape of something that sounded like a damned Dragon, I kid you not.

Turned out it was an F-18 just loafing along.

And I thought F-4 Phantoms sounded weird...

I have heard this sound too, many times, and as a yacht owner, I know what it is. It comes from the local marina. When the wind blows across the vertical slot in the back of yacht masts, it can set up a resonant hum, like blowing across the top of a bottle. The confirmation is the sound of tinkling in the background, which is the sound of unsecured halyards tapping against masts.

• Like 1

Cthulhu?

• Like 1

"I can see it--coming--hell wind--titan blur--black wings--Yog Sothoth save me---the three lobed burning eye......"     The Haunter Of The Dark  H.P. Lovecraft

• Like 1

What's really eerie is when you hear something like this in the middle of the Scottish mountains, miles from the nearest road, track or habitation.    Especially in the middle of the night .......

Rusting Victorian-era fenceposts in lonely glens have much to answer for!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brizink said:

It's an old iron or sheet metal smoke stack. Older ones from the 60's and 70's that have the topper made of thinner material than the middle and lower portions of the stack and it will howl EXACTLY like this. Patterson NJ has lots of stacks that do this with high wind, especially the tall skinny one's for steam.

Love your avatar, brizink :)

On 13/02/2017 at 4:58 PM, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Sounds pretty windy there. I wonder if this might be related, or might not be unrelated, to a sound rather like a distant foghorn which you can hear round here when there's enough wind and it's from the right direction (usually a southwesterly gale). I'm not saying it sounds exactly like that, but it would seem to be rather similar circumstances, and Plymouth isn't a hundred miles from here. (well actually it is 103 miles driving, but in a straight line it's probably somewhat less.) 

You'd be hard-pressed to find any working foghorns in Britain nowadays.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:14 AM, brizink said:

Thanks, took all of 13.0671 seconds to pick out. 

Well, it's a winner!  How can you go wrong with Alien? :)