Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Egypt - source of the Nile ?

back to earth

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

You have ti get up to arond  13,000 to get over the Hindu Kush .... and people been doing that a loooong time !   There is a Dravidian settlement  way north of that.  And it was the route between a well known  Aryan 'nation'   and the others  Hapta hindu .... and, they had chariots  ....  well  ..... carts . 

I reject your reality and replace it with my own - post #24 is a new standard of earth science - pop up and drop down earth!  I am vindicated and I'm having a party in my head right now!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

Indeed   ..... one would    'paddling upstream '  , using wind when you could , dragging the boat over around obstacles, 'meeting' with the natives, who no doubt settled by the river bank  - for better or worse .... etc .

But where did the boats,  crew and supplies come from ?  The 'state' would have controlled all that.  

Even thousands of years later in places like feudal Japan , even alone traveller was not free to go somewhere without a good state sanctioned reason . Or carry the wrong tool , that wasnt associated with your profession. 

If the 'State' didnt explore ,  it didnt happen , unless, as said above ; trade, security, defense, raids, resources  .... matters of the 'state', seems they had all that , just when they wanted what they didnt have , like exotic plants animals and dwarfs :)   .... and as long as KIng got plenty booty .....  all good. 

The more serious 'explorations' , for the sake of it, it seems , were done by the Greeks (as in link above in my post ) , they seemed to have an  'intellectual component ' in their State's  interests . 

I would agree the Greeks were far more interested in exploration for the sake of exploration. While the Egyptians certainly sent military detachments south of Aswan for the sake of conquest and control, as well as the occasional diplomatic envoy to establish trade relations, traveling south of Aswan by boat was complicated. There used to be large granite cataracts all through the region, making riverine travel difficult down there (most of the cataracts are now deep under water, thanks to the big ol' dam the Russians built). Moreover, the river flows south to north, so contending with the cataracts would've been even more problematic.

From the Middle Kingdom the Egyptians erected numerous very large forts in the Lower Sudan, the better to control local populations and the lucrative gold deposits.They returned in the New Kingdom and overtook even more territory. But when it came to more distant travels, especially to places like Punt, they found it easier and more reliable to sail down the west coast of the Red Sea. All the way from the Middle Kingdom they erected trackways through the Eastern Desert to disassemble and transport their boats to the coast, and along the coast they established numerous ports. You're absolutely correct that all of this was a matter of the state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Yet another reason I could hate Hannibal yep he might have been up pretty high crossing the Alps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAIT I DON'T HAVE TO WRONG I CAN WOO WOO IT.

Is it possible that  all the elevations on earth have shrunk at some point in the last 5,000 years? Has anyone done any research on this important question? What are the elite & scientists hiding from us? Could it be Mt Olympus was much higher so no one could climb it and between that time and Hannibal the mountains shank? So what about Otzi - since I cannot be wrong I speculate as truth that mountains have been popping up and down like a wild game of pound the puppy. So in conclusion science is wrong and I'm right, standby for my youtube, pdf and book on the subject.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL Careful. You're starting to sound like Jarocal now. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Yet another reason I could hate Hannibal yep he might have been up pretty high crossing the Alps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAIT I DON'T HAVE TO WRONG I CAN WOO WOO IT.

Is it possible that  all the elevations on earth have shrunk at some point in the last 5,000 years? Has anyone done any research on this important question? What are the elite & scientists hiding from us? Could it be Mt Olympus was much higher so no one could climb it and between that time and Hannibal the mountains shank? So what about Otzi - since I cannot be wrong I speculate as truth that mountains have been popping up and down like a wild game of pound the puppy. So in conclusion science is wrong and I'm right, standby for my youtube, pdf and book on the subject.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe ... in a way, but not as you outlined  . 

Looking at the mythical Aryan Homeland  Airyana Vaeja - there seems a good case for it being located  in the Pamir Mts .  

There has also been some speculation that stories about it passed eastwards  and resulted in the 'Shamballah'  story ( which again passed further on to European imagination as Shangri-la . 

If we compare the location geography with  a  Shamballah  stylisation we get ;

Buddhist Tanka showing Shambhala with Mount Meru in the centre

Buddhist thangka showing Shambhala with Mount Meru & a temple in the centre
The two circular mountain ranges remind us of the description of the Hara and Zeredaza Mountains
in the Avesta's Zamyad Yasht "lying all around" - the Zeredaza being the outer range.

Click to see a larger map of the Pamir-Badakhshan region (see explanation below. Click for a larger map)

The central river is supposed to go around the central peak complex .

This guy went to check it out

somewhere in that doco , I think , searching for the sources of the Oxus they got into that area , but the terrain was not the same , the river didnt encircle and was like a big horseshoe .    But then a local informed them that  in the past there had been a huge landslide and  blocked part of the river off,  and it changed course to its present one . 

So, things can change ....     but perhaps not as  .....    vigorously ... as you suggested . 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Hey no reason to be spiteful!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Well someone has to help me fill the glaring deficiency of fringish postings without Cladking or Mario atound.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Hey no reason to be spiteful!

You spelled "insightful" wrong at the end of your sentence...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Well someone has to help me fill the glaring deficiency of fringish postings without Cladking or Mario atound.

<_<   Heeeeyyyy !     What about post #  29  !    <_<

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Thou shalt not be nitpicky about others spelling !

Oh no !    " Thou shalt not quote the commandments to other posters "    :wacko:

Oh no !     Now I have done it twice  !     :blink:

Related image

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

This is true. Where have all the fringies gone? There seem to be fewer all the time, especially compared to when I first joined. It isn't my fault, is it? :whistle:

41 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Bad, Jarocal, bad!

• 5b. Spelling and grammar: Do not point out mistakes or criticise other members on their spelling, grammar or punctuation.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P I haven't had much cause to exercise my Mod powers in this forum lately. But that was a good one on your part. Are you sure "delightful" wasn't the intention?

• Like 1

I know they say Turkey was  the cradle of civilization, but I think it was the Egyptians  

Actually it was Mesopotamia.

4 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Sorry my dear friend but it appears you typed 'insightful' instead of 'into sin fully', so what sin are you fully into? It doesn't involved putting melted cheese on anteaters does it?

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Actually it was Mesopotamia.

Meet you half way   :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Sorry my dear friend but it appears you typed 'insightful' instead of 'into sin fully', so what sin are you fully into? It doesn't involved putting melted cheese on anteaters does it?

That sounds like he would need   psycho  the rapist  . 

I mean  .... needs a psychotherapist   !     

"But I like cheese ." 

Image result for anteater and cheese

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, back to earth said:

"But I like cheese ." 

Image result for anteater and cheese

Egads and now there are two of you!

• Like 1

.....WAIT A CHEESY minute I have it. The geyser wasn't at the location of G1 it was the originator of the Nile hidden by evil Ugandaologist (the poorer third cousins of Egyptotolgist). Who wants to tell Cladbing he's off track?

9UQOPh5.png

This map shows the watershed area of the Nile - if you look at Lake Victoria - for Harte and Cormac that is the blue splotch towards the bottom, you can see the words 'The geysers is here' written in proto-Egyptian Hieroglyphics which can be easily seen if you look at the rivers flowing into Lake Victoria while squinting, and having Venus rising over your left shoulder while also balancing a Toyota oil filter on your head (the closest thing we have in the modern world to an AE priest headdress).

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

This is true. Where have all the fringies gone? There seem to be fewer all the time, especially compared to when I first joined.

They've all gone into tubeworm farming. It's a time (and labor) - intensive endeavor.

Harte

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jarocal said:

But, Greenland is no where near Egypt....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

But, Greenland is no where near Egypt....

It isn't now ...... ;)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Essan said:

It isn't now ...... ;)

That's irrefutable proof that Africa waltzed it's way across the Atlantic leaving Greenland behind to deal with the cold.

Harte

• Like 2