Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The '7,000-year-old archaeological enigma'

Still Waters

A statuette which Greek archaeologists are calling a "7,000-year-old enigma" has gone on show in the National Archaeological Museum in Athens.

The bird-like object was carved from granite - without the benefit of metal tools, as it dates from the Final Neolithic period.

The 36cm (14in) statuette has a pointed nose, round belly and cylindrical legs.

But it has mystified archaeologists, who do not know exactly what it is or where it came from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38967924

• Like 7

The article didn't say what evidence, if any, there was on how it was made. So I'm wondering if its just a rock and a case of pareidolia? 

• Like 2

It would also be interesting to know how did they date the granite object. 

For sure pretty fascinating! 

Rather anticlimactic--I'd say a case pareidolia if it wasn't  vouched for by experts. Not particularly impressive compared to carvings at Gobekli Tepe which are five thousand years older. Was a bit of work carved from granite with stone tools, none-the-less.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, clare256 said:

The article didn't say what evidence, if any, there was on how it was made. So I'm wondering if its just a rock and a case of pareidolia? 

Any kind of working with tools leaves wear traces. They're very different to natural erosion and easy to identify.

• Like 1

Hmmm so the little pieces were found next to it I presume so my assumption its Monopoly!  I'm with the Hammer, Gobekli must have been an awe-inspiring place to visitors of the time like Hermitage or Le Louvre.  Or maybe most could careless because of packing trade goods around, setting out blankets, setup stands, work and such, who knows thanks for the antiquity article post. Thread.

Edited by MWoo7

On 14/2/2017 at 9:41 PM, Still Waters said:

Thank you SW for the additional source. 

From the link:

Experts also cannot be sure of its provenance, as it belongs to a personal collection. They assume only that it is from the northern Greek regions of Thessaly or Macedonia.

So, if they don't even know where is it from, how do they know it's 7k years old? 

Something doesn't add up. 

• Like 1