Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murder of 9-year-old Jennifer Lewis

petermattson

A new podcast is examining the 1990 case of Jennifer Ann Lewis, who was killed and then burned in a school playground. Her alleged killer has been tried, convicted and subsequently had his conviction overturned twice. He will be tried again this year.

http://wvik.org/programs/suspect-convictions#stream/0

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this case to attention. I've never heard of it and it sounds very interesting, but for many reasons, I find listening to podcasts excruciatingly painful and unfortunately for me, I'm not able to find info. elsewhere.

I have skimmed through a few of the segments, and my impression from learning just a few key facts is that the man is indeed guilty.

Edited: I don't know why I (still) never proof read my posts! :hmm:

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

I've since been able to locate info. on the case from other sources, of which includes an appeals doc., and personally, I believe there exists an 'as yet unknown' link between the defendant and the location of the body. :yes:

Edit: Petermattson, have you any thoughts about the case?

Among the first things I do when I'm new to a case is to scout out the relative locations and so in this case, I was able to quickly ascertain that every location relative to the crime is within- at most- five miles of the discovery site.

Also based on what I've learned, the body wasn't found/recovered from a playground. From what I've ascertained, the body was located in a field behind the school, which I'd assume was actually beyond where there may have been a playground. (Just sayin'.)

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

Regi,

What other sources were you able to find?  Everything I've found is podcast stuff and, like you, I don't do podcasts.

• Like 2

I first came across info. at this link, and then later came across doc. I had to download, but I don't recall that there was any more info. in the pdf than what's available here. 

http://law.justia.com/cases/iowa/supreme-court/1994/93-556-0.html

If I'm correct that the liquor store where the little girl was last known to be is now a smoke shop, this map shows the proximity/route from her last known location to the discovery site.

http://maps.randmcnally.com/?loc[]=2403 7th Ave, Rock Island, IL.&loc[]=1027 N Marquette St, Davenport, IA.

This map shows proximity/route from the defendant's home to the discovery site.

http://maps.randmcnally.com/?loc[]=4715 11th St, Rock Island, IL.&loc[]=1027 N Marquette St, Davenport, IA.

3 hours ago, griss47 said:

Everything I've found is podcast stuff and, like you, I don't do podcasts.

I've looked back over both of those docs and I see that there's info. from the podcast that isn't located in either one

Also, the most recent doc- the pdf- actually does offer more info. that the doc at the link, including more detailed info. surrounding the crime.

Anyway, since there aren't any other resources I've yet come across, I'd recommend that you do what I did and just skip through the podcast. :hmm:

20 hours ago, regi said:

I've since been able to locate info. on the case from other sources, of which includes an appeals doc., and personally, I believe there exists an 'as yet unknown' link between the defendant and the location of the body. :yes:

Edit: Petermattson, have you any thoughts about the case?

Among the first things I do when I'm new to a case is to scout out the relative locations and so in this case, I was able to quickly ascertain that every location relative to the crime is within- at most- five miles of the discovery site.

Also based on what I've learned, the body wasn't found/recovered from a playground. From what I've ascertained, the body was located in a field behind the school, which I'd assume was actually beyond where there may have been a playground. (Just sayin'.)

Re: the last point, I really should have written "near" or just used the same description as I did in the heading ("grassy area behind a playground"). The point is that the fire was very near the school and that seems relevant.

I don't have any solid thoughts yet because I'm only a few episodes in and, like you, I've had a hard time finding info beyond the podcast. I'm going to read through your links. 

1 hour ago, petermattson said:

Re: the last point, I really should have written "near" or just used the same description as I did in the heading ("grassy area behind a playground"). The point is that the fire was very near the school and that seems relevant.

Well, it's just that I recognize that the discovery site may not appear today as it did 27 years ago, and it's important- very useful to me- to have an accurate, detailed description of the place at the time the crime occurred.

(Off topic, but I think the school building is an impressive structure for an elementary school. I've since learned it opened in the Fall of 1940. Anyway, it was a funny coincidence to me because just very recently, I came across a high school in Texas which shows that same style of architecture and I don't remember having seen a school building like either of these ever before.)

Edit: If interested, here's a link to vintage photos of the school. Just click on the photo and then drag down the arrow.

http://www.umvphotoarchive.org/cdm/search/searchterm/Jefferson Elementary School (Davenport, Iowa)/mode/exact

1 hour ago, petermattson said:

I don't have any solid thoughts yet because I'm only a few episodes in and, like you, I've had a hard time finding info beyond the podcast.

There's info. in episode 3 that's corrected in episode 6. It's info. pertaining to the garbage bag the body was placed into before set afire. In episode 6, it's clarified that it was a commercial size garbage bag, the same brand used at the Hillside Inn where Liggins was living at the time.

Edited by regi

16 hours ago, Ranger Reno said:

Came across this

Article

Thanks for sharing that link. :tu:

The video shows that the site was at the NE corner of the property, I recognized it immediately. I imagined that it could have actually been closer to the back of the property, but I hadn't imagined that it was so close to side of the road.

8 hours ago, regi said:

Thanks for sharing that link. :tu:

The video shows that the site was at the NE corner of the property, I recognized it immediately. I imagined that it could have actually been closer to the back of the property, but I hadn't imagined that it was so close to side of the road.

I caught that as well regarding the proximity of the site to the road. I was also curious about the garbage bag, was that brand used anywhere other than where Liggins resided? I mean I'm sure they were but it's also a striking coincidence.

Edited by Ranger Reno
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ranger Reno said:

I was also curious about the garbage bag, was that brand used anywhere other than where Liggins resided? I mean I'm sure they were but it's also a striking coincidence.

Info. from episode 6 is that they weren't available in grocery stores.

I view it as highly incriminating evidence against Liggins simply because he obviously would have had access to that type of bag.

On 2/20/2017 at 4:50 PM, regi said:

(Off topic, but I think the school building is an impressive structure for an elementary school. I've since learned it opened in the Fall of 1940. Anyway, it was a funny coincidence to me because just very recently, I came across a high school in Texas which shows that same style of architecture and I don't remember having seen a school building like either of these ever before.)

Edit: If interested, here's a link to vintage photos of the school. Just click on the photo and then drag down the arrow.

http://www.umvphotoarchive.org/cdm/search/searchterm/Jefferson Elementary School (Davenport, Iowa)/mode/exact

There's a middle school near me that I substituted for that has that style of architecture. It's an old building but it has been refurbished extensively.

Lakeview-MS-1280x0-c-default.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, regi said:

Info. from episode 6 is that they weren't available in grocery stores.

I view it as highly incriminating evidence against Liggins simply because he obviously would have had access to that type of bag.

Thank you and I do agree it's very incriminating as I don't believe in coincidences like this. 

• Like 1