Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Zealandia the eighth continent?

Still Waters

You think you know your seven continents? Think again, as there's a new contender hoping to join that club.

Say hello to Zealandia, a huge landmass almost entirely submerged in the southwest Pacific.

It's not a complete stranger, you might have heard of its highest mountains, the only bits showing above water: New Zealand.

Scientists say it qualifies as a continent and have now made a renewed push for it to be recognised as such.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39000936

• Like 7

It even encompasses a little of Australia. Kiwis have been inching the country closer every year. But this, this is the biggest most subtle land grab in history. 

Look out QLD you will be New West Zealandia before you know it.

• Like 5

hmm..... Yes Ive seen this in the various news sites recently.....some sources make it out to be a recent discovery.... but if you search the forums on the search phrase 'zealandia' it has popped up in a number of older threads here

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kismit said:

It even encompasses a little of Australia. Kiwis have been inching the country closer every year. But this, this is the biggest most subtle land grab in history. 

Look out QLD you will be New West Zealandia before you know it.

Indeed, there was a link between one of your ' Dannerverkians'    ( in north NZ ) and Queensland, in the past ;

Image result for joh bjelke-petersen

:) 

• Like 1

It's made of lighter continental rock, but it is still under water.  Actually, the portion of the planet's surface under continental rock has been slowly increasing -- from a few islands several billion years ago to almost a third now -- and will continue to increase, so more and more will remain submerged except during ice ages.

From article ;   "   There is in fact no scientific body that formally recognises continents. "

I thought I had previously read that little is understood geologically about NZ's movements ( compared to Australia's  and India's, etc. ) post Gondwana break up   - why it moves or doesnt move the way it does ?

Just checked it on google , if it is a continent it has a continental sized harbour running through it down the west coast of  N. C. 

Besides , no matter how much those NZers produce geothermal energy ... the way we are burning coal over here ...... there never be a land bridge ! 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, seeder said:

hmm..... Yes Ive seen this in the various news sites recently.....some sources make it out to be a recent discovery.... but if you search the forums on the search phrase 'zealandia' it has popped up in a number of older threads here

It's not new news. It's just that the important groups have finally got together, agreed on it, and made it official.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

Indeed, there was a link between one of your ' Dannerverkians'    ( in north NZ ) and Queensland, in the past ;

Image result for joh bjelke-petersen

:) 

Daneverk... well i never. Jo you little kiwi you. The invasion is at its next stage.

Zealandia may suffer the same fate as Pluto and become a dwarf continent, a continenoid.  Seriously, wouldn't Australia, already a continent, have precedence if they connect? Australia may just be a highland plateau of Zealandia.  I didn't see how deeply submerged it is.  Any possibility it was a land bridge at some point facilitating migration?  Probably not I guess since marsupials still reign supreme mammals in Australia.

• Like 2

We will never surrender to Zealandians.

Fake News!!!!

We have to find out what's going on because the press, honestly, is out of control. The level of dishonesty is out of control.

It's all fake news. It's all fake news.

The news is fake because so much of the news is fake.

I'm not ranting and raving. I'm telling you you're dishonest people, but I'm not ranting and raving. I love this. I'm having a good time doing it ......

Changing it from fake news, though

To very fake news .......

It's just an extension of Australasia.

*(I may have plagiarized)

Edited by The Butler
  • Like 2

The continent of Zealandia doesn't actually cover any of the continent of Australia, but it does cover a couple of the small Islands of the East coast of Australia which are Australian.

At some point the continent's where joined. As Australia and New Zealand both shared similar environmental structures Link

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Butler said:

We will never surrender to Zealandians.

Fake News!!!!

We have to find out what's going on because the press, honestly, is out of control. The level of dishonesty is out of control.

It's all fake news. It's all fake news.

The news is fake because so much of the news is fake.

I'm not ranting and raving. I'm telling you you're dishonest people, but I'm not ranting and raving. I love this. I'm having a good time doing it ......

Changing it from fake news, though

To very fake news .......

It's just an extension of Australasia.

*(I may have plagiarized)

While googling, Google actually sugested the question.

Is New Zealand in Australia? 

Just now, Kismit said:

While googling, Google actually sugested the question.

Is New Zealand in Australia? 

And the answer was ......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgT8dTK3QGxyAyZLw9mcn

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kismit said:

The continent of Zealandia doesn't actually cover any of the continent of Australia, but it does cover a couple of the small Islands of the East coast of Australia which are Australian.

At some point the continent's where joined. As Australia and New Zealand both shared similar environmental structures Link

Now you're talking. Seriously,  I'd have to move to the US if NZ owned us. 

Excellent site. Thanks for the link. Saved in my bookmarks.

16 minutes ago, The Butler said:

Now you're talking. Seriously,  I'd have to move to the US if NZ owned us. 

Oh Bro! That cuts like a an ice chip in the bottom of my chully bun.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kismit said:

Daneverk... well i never. Jo you little kiwi you. The invasion is at its next stage.

A fake kiwi !   He never lost his Daner  ....    I mean Danish  accent ! 

If you want to send more of your Danish immigrants over to the land of milk and honey ... we got a heap of bracken that needs clearing out . 

(Let's see if she gest that one ;)  ) 

6 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Zealandia may suffer the same fate as Pluto and become a dwarf continent, a continenoid.  Seriously, wouldn't Australia, already a continent, have precedence if they connect? Australia may just be a highland plateau of Zealandia.  I didn't see how deeply submerged it is.  Any possibility it was a land bridge at some point facilitating migration?  Probably not I guess since marsupials still reign supreme mammals in Australia.

New Zealanders may deny the connection existed, but the way their country broke from Australia was unique

Geoscientists from the University of Sydney have created a mathematical computer model that calculates the immense forces of nature that tore New Zealand away from Australia 100 million years ago and say a similar process may be underway in South America.

Australia was once part of a much larger land mass called Gondwana, which included the modern continents of Africa, South America, Antarctica and India. However, Gondwana was torn apart - with connections between Africa and South America broken first, followed by New Zealand's and New Caledonia's shift away from the eastern edge of the Australian plate.

In a paper in April's Nature Geoscience journal, Associate Professor Patrice Rey and Professor Dietmar Müller from the University's School of Geosciences explain for the first time the mechanism responsible for East Gondwana's disintegration into microcontinents.

http://sydney.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=4681

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length. The rest can be viewed in the source link.
  • Like 1

Where's the cratonic core of Zealandia? That's what I want in my continents.

• Like 2

there are really only 4 continents.  north and south america is one.   europe, asia, africa are one,  australia and antarctica.  the reason north and south america are one continent is because of the isthmus of panama which connect them.  europe is considered a seperate continent because of culture.  and africa because of the middle east.  but a continent is surrounded on all sides by water.

4 hours ago, Winter Summer said:

Zelandia - fine

but Greenland first

greewnland is part of north america shelf.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:42 PM, seeder said:

The concept has been around for ages but it's probably just now that people are considering it as an actual continent. However this latest thing would have some very interesting repercussions for New Zealand's EEZ claims and could see a significant expansion of our EEZ zone.

Which would be problematic because we don't have the navy to patrol it.