Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cooks that don't wash their hands.

Four Winds

I worked in the grill at McDonald's for over 3 years up until September of last year and I was the only one that washed their hands.Employees would take out the garbage,sweep,pick things up off the ground,cough,wipe their nose,smoke and never wash their hands.I was always so grossed out and felt bad for the customers. 

5 minutes ago, Jessica28 said:

I worked in the grill at McDonald's for over 3 years up until September of last year and I was the only one that washed their hands.Employees would take out the garbage,sweep,pick things up off the ground,cough,wipe their nose,smoke and never wash their hands.I was always so grossed out and felt bad for the customers. 

you should have raised the issues with the managers... Im surprised you didnt

Just now, seeder said:

you should have raised the issues with the managers... Im surprised you didnt

I did,nothing ever got done about it.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2017 at 11:46 PM, seeder said:

On one of Gordon Ramsays nightmare kitchens...it showed a chef drop a steak on the floor....pick it up, look at it for visible debris, then put it straight back in the frying pan

found the clip.... it was actually chicken

Comeon it was a fryer not a frying pan! LOL 400 degrees worth of oil will kill any germs buuuuut I still dont wanna eat it. 

On 2/17/2017 at 10:57 PM, Four Winds said:

We went to a small Mexican restaurant today, it only has a few tables. It has an open kitchen so you can see everything that goes on.  There was only one person working, she very friendly so no complaints there.  While she was preparing the order for another table, I never saw her wash her hands.  When she took our order, I watched to see if she would wash her hands before cooking the food. She did not.  What would you do in that situation?

As a former and still occasional chef I saw this all the time. While you didnt mention the cooks ethnicity you did say its a mexican place and I found during my time behind the line that third world concepts of hygiene tend to follow folks when they make it to the first world. 

• Like 2

I worked as a server and bartender on and off for 10 years and after working in the restaurant industry, I have one rule when dining out.  If I didn't order something and I get it, I eat it, or ignore it.  If something is not prepared to my liking, I try it, if I don't like it, I take it to go and offer it to the homeless, or give it a retry at home. 

I never, ever, for any reason, send any food back to the kitchen, or refuse to pay.  Ever.  Not once. 

I am fortunate to have a very strong constitution and I am the one that tends to eat all the left-overs in our house.

That said:  My wife and I have been together for almost 30 years.  We eat out at least twice a week, often more.  In all that time, I have been poisoned only once, by some tainted chicken.  That was bad enough that I will to this day, never eat Pad Thai again.  We are far more resilient than we are led to believe...

I support having safe habits.  I am just not worried much about it.  My immune system is charged up due to a diet of fresh food, almost completely void of processed wheat, sugar and dairy and by frequent and small incursions of dirt and a variety of bacteria as I'm not one for washing my hands all through the day.

• Like 2

Hang them up side down and feed them exlax 

When I did my diploma of hospitality management we had to do a unit called Food Hygiene. It was essentially a unit on why you shouldn't eat at resturants :lol: 

I do have a few key places I'll go to again and again, they all have open kitchens and you can see that there's a high level of hygiene being maintained. 

Although last night I made the decision to never go to a small food shop near my house, after seeing one of their employees walking through the grocery store with one hand down his pants 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

should have their hands removed !

• Like 1

There was a McDonalds in my hometown sitting along a VERY busy roadway.  A pattern of hepatitis A cases were traced to the place and it was discovered that an employee regularly neglected to wash his hands after visiting the toilet AND he had Hep A.  These franchises cost a million dollars to start up 20 years ago.  It closed very quickly and the building was razed.  A new, shiny McDonalds took its place with an entirely new staff a short while later.  Millions lost, over one careless, nasty individual.

• Like 3