Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No increase in VA disabilty pay this year.

Four Winds

Normally every year they Veterans Administration in the US increases the disability pay by a small percentage to keep up with inflation.  This year there was no increase in disability pay.  It seems strange to me that you don't see this mentioned in the news.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 4

It would be interesting to find out why there is no increase this year.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

Normally every year they Veterans Administration in the US increases the disability pay by a small percentage to keep up with inflation.  This year there was no increase in disability pay.  It seems strange to me that you don't see this mentioned in the news.

They sent me a letter saying that my Veteran's pension was increasing by a whole $2.

Cost of living didn't increase much, gas prices are down...blah...blah..blah.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

They sent me a letter saying that my Veteran's pension was increasing by a whole $2.

Cost of living didn't increase much, gas prices are down...blah...blah..blah.

Wow, that sucks, so they are being stingy with that as well.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

Wow, that sucks, so they are being stingy with that as well.

The only reason I get it is because I served in a war.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I thought you only get a pension if you served 20 years. I think it used to be 50% of your base pay but now is 40%.  Either that or a person is injured while serving in which case you would get disability from the VA based on the injuries.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Which war did you serve in? What was your MOS?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

I thought you only get a pension if you served 20 years. I think it used to be 50% of your base pay but now is 40%.  Either that or a person is injured while serving in which case you would get disability from the VA based on the injuries.

From the VA:

Eligibility

Generally, a Veteran must have at least 90 days of active duty service, with at least one day during a wartime period to qualify for a VA Pension. If you entered active duty after September 7, 1980, generally you must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions), with at least one day during a wartime period.

In addition to meeting minimum service requirements, the Veteran must be:

• Age 65 or older

That's yours truly.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

Which war did you serve in? What was your MOS?

Vietnam 66-67. Radioman, US Navy, Danang

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Vietnam 66-67. Radioman, US Navy, Danang

Thank you for your service. I know it is a little late, but thank you.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 8

My hubby got a whopping $9.56/mo raise.   He is 100% disabled, d/t have End Stage Renal Disease.  He was on dialysis for 2 1/2 yrs, then had a kidney transplant in Jan. of 2001.   

• Like 6

He was medically discharged from the Air Force after almost 4 years.  

• Like 5

So what's the best way for me to cause a stink about this?  I'm serious —  that's how angry I am.

This is so wrong for so many reasons. I have to do something.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, tcgram said:

My hubby got a whopping $9.56/mo raise.   He is 100% disabled, d/t have End Stage Renal Disease.  He was on dialysis for 2 1/2 yrs, then had a kidney transplant in Jan. of 2001.   

I didn't see a bump at all, I'm not 100%, but looking back at what I received last year and what I received the last two months. It is the same to the penny.  I was hoping maybe 5 bucks, yeah no.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 4

You should inquire as to why you didn't get any increase.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

I didn't see a bump at all, I'm not 100%, but looking back at what I received last year and what I received the last two months. It is the same to the penny.

When did you serve FW, what is your story my friend?

• Like 3

And a big, "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart to all the Veterans out there.   :wub:

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Claire. said:

So what's the best way for me to cause a stink about this?  I'm serious —  that's how angry I am.

This is so wrong for so many reasons. I have to do something.

There's something called vawatchdog.org. I don't know if they can help. They might be able to direct you where to lodge the complaint. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

When did you serve FW, what is your story my friend?

I joined in 98, had an accident where my spine was crushed in two places.  I'm fine most days, can't really turn my head.  I'm more or less like when you see people with a neck brace, but I don't wear one.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 9

If we can't take care of our disabled veterans, something is really wrong. There sure seems to be money to line a lot of other people's pockets. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

There's something called vawatchdog.org. I don't know if they can help. They might be able to direct you where to lodge the complaint. 

Thanks, I appreciate your help. It looks like a good place to start.

I called my dad (it's what I always do when I am angry about something). He and I will brainstorm tomorrow. This nonsense about two dollar increases is insulting.

• Like 5