Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much Gold has been mined?

pallidin

I've heard that if all the gold ever mined (from the past to today) were to be purified 24k, and placed in one spot, that it would only occupy a space of:

67-feet long, by 67-feet wide, by 67-feet tall.

Maybe that's a lot, and correct, but it doesn't seem right.

Anyone know?

• Like 1

Huh, and here I guess...

http://www.gold.org/gold-mining/what-gold-mining-companies-produce/how-much-gold-has-been-mined

How much gold has been mined?

The best estimates currently available suggest that around 183,600 tonnes of gold have been mined throughout history, of which around two-thirds has been mined since 1950. And since gold is virtually indestructible, this means that almost all of this metal is still around in one form or another. If every single ounce of this gold were placed next to each other, the resulting cube of pure gold would only measure around 21 metres on each side.

46 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I've heard that if all the gold ever mined (from the past to today) were to be purified 24k, and placed in one spot, that it would only occupy a space of:

67-feet long, by 67-feet wide, by 67-feet tall.

Maybe that's a lot, and correct, but it doesn't seem right.

Anyone know?

Google quick search seems to agree with you Pallidin, and there is possibly more rather than less, but not a lot more.

Is it really worth all the effort?

Now I am curious as to why you are so curious?

I would also like to know how much earth and water has been moved to get such a misery of wealth?

Pixie dust sure is rare! :yes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taniwha said:

Google quick search seems to agree with you Pallidin, and there is possibly more rather than less, but not a lot more.

Is it really worth all the effort?

Now I am curious as to why you are so curious?

I would also like to know how much earth and water has been moved to get such a misery of wealth?

Pixie dust sure is rare! :yes:

You know, t, for some silly reason in my mind I would have thought much, much more has mined up to our present day.

67-feet cubed just doesn't seem like a whole lot.

I do realize it's rarity is an aspect of it's value, but i just thought that there was much more mined gold than that.

Huh...

• Like 1

Considering the monster holes they dig. I thought it was about an ounce of gold for every truck load of spoil?  Those trucks hold a hundred tonne I would guess and an ounce of gold you can fit in a teaspoon.

And there's miles of tailings littering NZ rivers from the old gold rushes.  

I suppose though they only had donkeys and pack horses to burden the pay load back then.

gold fever

Translate Button

noun
greed and excitement caused by a 
goldrush.
  • Like 1

And before I go - some golden facts:

1/ One cubic foot of gold weighs half a ton. The world’s largest gold bar weighs 200 kg (440 lb)

2/ Gold is so rare that the world pours more steel in an hour than it has poured gold since the beginning of recorded history

3/ The world’s largest stockpile of gold can be found five stories underground inside the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s vault and it holds 25% of the world's gold reserve (540,000 gold bars). While it contains more gold than Fort Knox, most of it belongs to foreign governments.

4/ The Mines of South Africa can descend as far as 12,000 feet and reach temperatures of 130°F. To produce an ounce of gold requires 38 man hours, 1400 gallons of water, enough electricity to run a large house for ten days, and chemicals such as cyanide, acids, lead, borax, and lime. In order to extract South Africa’s yearly output of 500 tons of gold, nearly 70 million tons of earth are raised and milled.

https://www.factretriever.com/gold-facts

• Like 1