Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suggestions for a Console Gaming TV

ExpandMyMind

So I'm going to be looking at getting a new TV soonish, to be used mainly for gaming. Right now I have a very basic 32 inch 720p Polaroid TV, but I'll be upgrading to a 1080p, of which make I've not yet decided.

Now here's where I'm a bit lost due to an insane amount of conflicting information on the subject. Should I keep the TV size at 32 inches while upgrading the resolution, so the games will look sharper? Will getting a larger TV degrade the quality, due to larger pixels? I don't really need a TV larger than 32 inches, but I would definitely prefer one, but not if the quality of gaming graphics will suffer. I'll definitely be getting one that can hit 60hz for the 60fps games, but what should I be looking for regarding input lag or latency or whatever it is and will it make much of a difference?

I'm looking to spend around 300-350 pounds on a TV, so, for me, that's quite a large investment. I'll need to make sure I get one that I won't end up hating. Any answers would be welcome and even suggestions of specific TVs within my price range.

Cheers

Get one that will fit in a space comfortably and go for a spec you can afford, hate to say it but a new one will be out in 6 months anyway. 

Not much help am I? 

33 minutes ago, Redefining Success said:

Get one that will fit in a space comfortably and go for a spec you can afford, hate to say it but a new one will be out in 6 months anyway. 

Not much help am I? 

Not at all, no :D

I'd go for a 4k TV if you can. Consoles are already supporting UHD, and it'll likely be default in next gen consoles.

I picked up an LG 4k 43" TV around ten months ago for £470:

LG 43UF770V

It's excellent in 1080p too, which is what I mostly use it for. Looks good even if your nose is practically touching the screen :D

This particular model doesn't seem to be available any longer, but if you find one, it might be within your budget. It's also worth shopping around if you find a model you like, as I found mine at around £100 cheaper than Amazon.

If it's just out of budget, it might be worth saving an extra month or two for the extra £50-£100. A 4k TV should be future proof for a good few years.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I'd go for a 4k TV if you can. Consoles are already supporting UHD, and it'll likely be default in next gen consoles.

I picked up an LG 4k 43" TV around ten months ago for £470:

LG 43UF770V

It's excellent in 1080p too, which is what I mostly use it for. Looks good even if your nose is practically touching the screen :D

This particular model doesn't seem to be available any longer, but if you find one, it might be within your budget. It's also worth shopping around if you find a model you like, as I found mine at around £100 cheaper than Amazon.

If it's just out of budget, it might be worth saving an extra month or two for the extra £50-£100. A 4k TV should be future proof for a good few years.

Thanks man. I might just do that. My original plan was to just upgrade next gen, since I expect screen burn of some sort but might get a PS4 pro later in the year. I'm off to Google 'cheapest 4k TVs'.

• Like 1

For gaming you want something with a good refresh rate. This is essentially how quickly the pixels can change. If you get anything under 60Hz (see 60 frames per second) you will see a blurring effect as the screen cannot keep up with the data its trying to show. Especially bad in anything fast paced. This link explains it well if you've time to read it http://4k.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-refresh-rates-in-one-post-15371-2/

Some might argue that rather than spend your money on a low/med end 4k tv you could get a high spec 1080 with smart features, great colour and black levels, high refresh rate and lots of HDMI ports. The are some amazing deals on these 1080 tv's that would have cost 1000s not so long ago as the sales teams try and flog 4k. Great colour and black levels can easily make up for a higher res. 

Or just go nuts and get an lg 4k oled. Those things are mind blowing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...