Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trail cam shows mammal not seen in 150 years

Still Waters

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is confirming the sighting of a mammal not seen in Iowa in about 150 years.

DNR officials said a trail camera photo of a fisher was taken by Ryan Cross in November in Allamakee County.

“The Minnesota DNR reports that fishers are expanding into southeast Minnesota, which is likely where this one came from,” the DNR said on Facebook. “We don't know right now if fishers will reestablish themselves in Iowa, but it's certainly interesting!”

http://www.kcci.com/article/trail-camera-shows-fierce-mammal-not-seen-in-iowa-since-1800s/8873404

• Like 9

Oh wow. I wasn't aware of fishers until now. They should put trail cams up everywhere. They could be an invaluable source of information, such as they were in this instance. Just the opportunity to watch animals in their natural habitat would be worth the effort.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Oh wow. I wasn't aware of fishers until now. They should put trail cams up everywhere. They could be an invaluable source of information, such as they were in this instance. Just the opportunity to watch animals in their natural habitat would be worth the effort.

You never know what we could find out about their habits.  Maybe even any changes in migration

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Claire. said:

[...] They should put trail cams up everywhere [...]

I had second thoughts about cams' being everywhere whereafter, having recently had to 'water a bush,' I noticed a nearby deer blind.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

You never know what we could find out about their habits.  Maybe even any changes in migration

Absolutely. I've been hooked on that eaglet live cam since the beginning of last month when a baby eaglet was born in SW Florida. Just watching its parents raise it has been the most incredible experience. It's one thing to read about something, it's another to see it first hand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

I had second thoughts about cams' being everywhere whereafter, having had to 'water a bush,' I noticed a nearby deer blind.

CAT I'm not sure what you mean. Are your second thoughts because of seeing a blind deer, or did a cam injure it?

See below.

Edited by aka CAT

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

CAT I'm not sure what you mean. 

Hunters, within view of their camouflaged hide-outs, hang motion-detection cameras near where they put out feed to attract deer.  Hence, when looking at nearby properties that were for sale, :blush: I might have inadvertently 'mooned' a distant neighbor.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Hunters, within view of their camouflaged hide-outs, hang cams near where they put out feed to attract deer.  Hence, when looking at nearby properties that were for sale, :blush: I might have inadvertently 'mooned' a distant neighbor.

I had no idea hunters did that sort of thing. You may not feel the same way I do, but I hope you did indeed moon them.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Hunters, within view of their camouflaged hide-outs, hang cams near where they put out feed to attract deer.  Hence, when looking at nearby properties that were for sale, :blush: I might have inadvertently 'mooned' a distant neighbor.

don't worry he was probable sleeping.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, danielost said:

don't worry he was probable sleeping.

Yes.  But, since cams don't sleep, he may have a photo of what he missed.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aka CAT said:

Yes.  But, since cams don't sleep, he may have a photo of what he missed.  

if it was a good shot it will end up on the internet.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, danielost said:

if it was a good shot it will end up on the internet.

Fortunately, "CAT's tail end" probably won't draw many views.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aka CAT said:

Dress up in a gorilla outfit and walk around the blind.:D

• Like 2