Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biased Media

Frank Merton

I recently got a response that because what I read in the British Press doesn't agree with what the ideologues on this board preach it is the press that is biased.  We recently saw Trump go on a Castro-like undignified hour-long harangue about the biased press.

Individual news sources can be biased, so one gets a balance, but when the assertion that all the press is biased, it is obvious the problem is not the press but the person who doesn't like hearing the truth.  

Basically, when people say the press is biased, assume they are the bias and for the most part the press gets it pretty much right.

• Like 4

I think there is a clear left wing biased with all the major media sources except fox (which is right wing)

Trump ask for eat in a lot of ways but there is defintley a bias 

• Like 4

Just now, spartan max2 said:

I think there is a clear left wing biased with all the major media sources except fox (which is right wing)

Trump ask for eat in a lot of ways but there is defintley a bias 

I feel the same way.

• Like 1

the "media" is huge. it consists of everything from megacorporations to individual journalists. while it's perfectly reasonable to say that there are biased groups within the media, talking about the media as if it were some massive conglomerate is foolish.

also (and i think this goes along with what frank merton is saying) realize that your own biases color your perception. i lean... very far to the left, and to me, a lot of the major news networks look right of center most of the time. and i've got to remember to be aware of that.

Edited by seaturtlehorsesnake
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

the "media" is huge. it consists of everything from megacorporations to individual journalists. while it's perfectly reasonable to say that there are biased groups within the media, talking about the media as if it were some massive conglomerate is foolish.

Good point.

• Like 2

Search: Who owns the media?

According to multiple sources five (5) conglomerates own 90% of the media in the USA.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I recently got a response that because what I read in the British Press doesn't agree with what the ideologues on this board preach it is the press that is biased.  We recently saw Trump go on a Castro-like undignified hour-long harangue about the biased press.

Individual news sources can be biased, so one gets a balance, but when the assertion that all the press is biased, it is obvious the problem is not the press but the person who doesn't like hearing the truth.  

Basically, when people say the press is biased, assume they are the bias and for the most part the press gets it pretty much right.

This is a little sneaky of you, Frank.

You're obviously referring to the Tony Blair calls for people to 'rise up' thread, where you cite your internet sources as some sort of indefatigable truth, while at the same time disregarding the opinions of people who actually live in Britain, that cover the whole political spectrum.

Why do you think there is so much furore surrounding the media right now? They create situations such as this, where someone sat in front of a computer screen across the globe thinks they have a better grasp of things than those who live them on a daily basis, including, in this case, those of us who voted Blair into power in 1997.

Let me ask you this; as far as I recall, you were involved in the events around the Vietnam War era - I might be wrong, but for the sake of argument, let's say you were. If I pulled out a bunch of internet articles, and waved them in your face as evidence of me having a better understanding of that era than yourself, how much credibility would you give me?

As to the general question of the topic though, as with most things, the truth lies somewhere inbetween. There is bias in the media, and there is bias in our own views. Finding the truth in anything these days is a minefield, but I'd certainly give more credence to those with first hand knowledge of a situation.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 5

The only unbiased newspaper I've found is The Christian Science Monitor. Read it for a while then you'll see how blatantly biased the news media is. (you don't even have to be a Christian to read it - only one religious article in the back)

• Like 1

The U.S. TV network media have leaned Left all my life.  No question there.  The likelihood that all the major TV networks and internet or print media would present only negative stories, constantly, for months, about one individual is just too much of a strain on credulity. The only thing bothering anyone about it today is the hysteria they are whipping up because they haven't been able to destroy Trump.  He doesn't play by their rules.  For at least the next two years, Trump should be able to do some open field running, legislatively.  Trump doesn't have to convince anyone about his agenda.  Trump only has to keep his original supporters.  The same group of people who KNOW the media for the shills they are....

• Like 1

Yes, Trump has barred CNN, and a few others for unofficial meetings, recently. Good job, this crap has gone on for far too long.

:ph34r:

3 hours ago, tmcom said:

Yes, Trump has barred CNN, and a few others for unofficial meetings, recently. Good job, this crap has gone on for far too long.

:ph34r:

What crap? I mean clearly bias isnt the crap you are referring to as Fox wasnt banned from the gaggle so is it just voices you disagree with you are calling crap? 

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

What crap? I mean clearly bias isnt the crap you are referring to as Fox wasnt banned from the gaggle so is it just voices you disagree with you are calling crap? 

CNN, and others have spouted crap for ages!

Enough said!

B)

• Like 1