Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Water on the Moon

UM-Bot

I would think as many times as Russia and the U.S has been on the moon they would have discovered water if it was there.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Darkenpath25 said:

I would think as many times as Russia and the U.S has been on the moon they would have discovered water if it was there.

Maybe they left it there.  People gotta pee.

I didnt watch the video but duh our evaporation and its location above our atmosphere makes it kind of obvious that some moisture would get there. Not to mention microbes or plankton like were found at the space station.

Edited by Nnicolette

4 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

I didnt watch the video but duh our evaporation and its location above our atmosphere makes it kind of obvious that some moisture would get there.

No it isn't kind of obvious. In fact it's very VERY wrong.

The moon isn't "above our atmosphere" any more than Mars or Venus are above our atmosphere. Whilst it is somewhat closer than our next nearest neighbours it is still a quarter of a million miles away, that is 1,000times further away than the ISS.To give you some idea how far away the moon is you could fit all the other planets in the solar system in the gap and still have room left over.

The next problem with your statement is that the moon is relatively small. Unless you think that the moon some how magically attracts water to itself then a tiny amount of thought should make you realise that water loss fro the Earth into space would occur pretty much equally in all directions. For enough of it to reach the moon to be detectable then the Earth would have to be losing water at an alarmingly massive rate. The last time I looked we still had oceans, so that isn't happening.

A simple piece of advice, commenting on a subject about which you know nothing without bothering to watch the video which may have educated you isn't going to make you look clever, especially when that video explains the three sources of lunar eater, none of which are the Earth.

4 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

No it isn't kind of obvious. In fact it's very VERY wrong.

The moon isn't "above our atmosphere" any more than Mars or Venus are above our atmosphere. Whilst it is somewhat closer than our next nearest neighbours it is still a quarter of a million miles away, that is 1,000times further away than the ISS.To give you some idea how far away the moon is you could fit all the other planets in the solar system in the gap and still have room left over.

The next problem with your statement is that the moon is relatively small. Unless you think that the moon some how magically attracts water to itself then a tiny amount of thought should make you realise that water loss fro the Earth into space would occur pretty much equally in all directions. For enough of it to reach the moon to be detectable then the Earth would have to be losing water at an alarmingly massive rate. The last time I looked we still had oceans, so that isn't happening.

A simple piece of advice, commenting on a subject about which you know nothing without bothering to watch the video which may have educated you isn't going to make you look clever, especially when that video explains the three sources of lunar eater, none of which are the Earth.

Well yes, the moon is above our atmosphere. I cant imagine how you think otherwise. Being small and somewhat distamt doesnt have muuch to do with vapor trails. It doesnt need to magicslly attract anything it passes through the earths tailings every day.  It wouldbt habe to lose a massive amount as you say this is ridiculous the ocean isnt just blowing away its a fine mist. If you dont believe it try looking at what happened on mars. As usual your false sense of superiority has fooled you into thinking that you have it all figured out, but the truth is you havent a clue if what im saying is as wrong as you claim. You clearly cpuldnt even understand the logistics of it.

5 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Please play nice. Your posts are a bit harsh at times.

Edited by Four Winds

On 22/02/2017 at 2:31 AM, Darkenpath25 said:

To be fair, the places the Russians/Soviets and Americans looked at on the Moon back in the 1960s and 1970s weren't the places that water has now been found on the Moon. By far most of the water on the Moon is hidden in permanently shadowed crater floors in the polar regions. That's part of the Moon that's only recently been explored.

The rest of the water on the Moon, as described in the video, was found in minute quantities inside microscopic glassy beads (less than 0.05 millimetres diameter) in specific types of rocks brought back on two particular Apollo missions. The water was found using tests which I suspect may not have been available back in the 1970s when the Apollo rocks were first examined.