Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cannabis Decriminalisation Vote in Scotland

ExpandMyMind

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/snp-conference-medicinal-cannabis-decriminalisation-a7363126.html

Go on my son! This is a pretty large step in the journey to legalisation. And about bloody time.

• Like 2

Lol, the title on the topic is a bit misleading... Not cannabis decriminalization, as in all cannabis. It's medical cannabis they voted on. And the SNP voted in their yearly conference last October that they wanted the UK to change the status of medical cannabis. Good for them for addressing the issue.

I know the U.S. situation better than elsewhere- medical has hit a sort of states vs feds race in a lot of ways here. But how does it work for the UK? Scotland isn't one of many states that can pile up to sway the fed- it is it's own nation but still part of the UK and that seems like a different kettle of fish as far as how the legalities work with that.

• Like 2

^ If it is a Scotland-only law, passed by the devolved assembly, it won't affect England and Wales or Northern Ireland.

• Like 2

So many people have benefited from cannabis when they have an illness such as cancer. It's time to stop demonizing it and make it legal for medical purposes.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, acute said:

^ If it is a Scotland-only law, passed by the devolved assembly, it won't affect England and Wales or Northern Ireland.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Scotland could do themselves only. The way the article read it's more like they want to, but UK still has the say ultimately. Poking around about it, it looks like they were able to move a lot of their internal stuff from police action over to the health system. But that isn't reclassifying the drug itself. It's kind of like the difference between when a state decides to have MM or decriminalize personal recreational use- but that's different than the Feds changing the schedule on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rashore said:

Lol, the title on the topic is a bit misleading... Not cannabis decriminalization, as in all cannabis. It's medical cannabis they voted on. And the SNP voted in their yearly conference last October that they wanted the UK to change the status of medical cannabis. Good for them for addressing the issue.

I know the U.S. situation better than elsewhere- medical has hit a sort of states vs feds race in a lot of ways here. But how does it work for the UK? Scotland isn't one of many states that can pile up to sway the fed- it is it's own nation but still part of the UK and that seems like a different kettle of fish as far as how the legalities work with that.

Scotland isn't a country, though most don't know this (neither is England or the rest). It's basically a state with some variations of laws but ultimately answerable to Westminster.

Apologies for the headline, it wasn't my intention to mislead.

• Like 1

It should just be legal for everyone everywhere.  It smells so nice when you walk down the streets in Seattle since my state legalized it for recreational use.

• Like 1

If Trump really wanted to throw a wrench in the democratic party all he would have to do is legalize it at the federal level and let states decide just like with alcohol.

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

It should just be legal for everyone everywhere.  It smells so nice when you walk down the streets in Seattle since my state legalized it for recreational use.

I smoked weed for about 9 years.  I quit when I decided to go into the military and never took it back up.  Some of the people I knew back then, still use. Some became successful, most did not.  On the whole, I think it is a net detriment to a nation.  It causes enough problems to not be worth it but people shouldn't be jailed for years JUST for smoking weed. If it is legalized, I really hope that the age limit is set at 21.  Teens do NOT need to be using this substance.  It is absolutely scandalous that states don't all allow the medical use of cannabis.

44 minutes ago, and then said:

I smoked weed for about 9 years.  I quit when I decided to go into the military and never took it back up.  Some of the people I knew back then, still use. Some became successful, most did not.  On the whole, I think it is a net detriment to a nation.  It causes enough problems to not be worth it but people shouldn't be jailed for years JUST for smoking weed. If it is legalized, I really hope that the age limit is set at 21.  Teens do NOT need to be using this substance.  It is absolutely scandalous that states don't all allow the medical use of cannabis.

18 would be fine. Like alcohol, they're going to do it if they want, no matter the age restrictions, so why not save them a criminal record? Regarding your friends: 90% of my mates did it and I'd say roughly 90% of them are successful. This may be due to connections in their lines of work, but I also think it may have something to do with most of them preferring to smoke a J when they come home from work, rather than out for a few jars (which can lead to all sorts of problems). I seem to be the outlier lol