Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

400-Million-year-old giant worm fossil found

Still Waters

One June day in 1994, Derek K. Armstrong of the Ontario Geological Survey was dropped by helicopter in a remote region of Ontario. There he chipped away samples from the exposed rock and brought them back to the Royal Ontario Museum. Years later another team of geologists from the University of Bristol (UB) would stumble upon the samples and make a startling discovery – the fossil of a giant worm with large snapping jaws. Their find has been described today in the journal Scientific Reports.

http://newatlas.com/giant-worm-fossil/48030/

• Like 7

• The title was changed to 400-Million-year-old giant worm fossil found

I am glad it was a fossil , I'd hate trying to get that sucker on my fishing hook . joking aside its always interesting what Geologist finds. 

• Like 3

Years later another team of geologists from the University of Bristol (UB) would stumble upon the samples and make a startling discovery – the fossil of a giant worm with large snapping jaws

Graboid.jpg

Somebody call Burt.

• Like 7

Why did I first think of tremors when I saw the jaws LOL
But seriously I love the way we are finding so many new species in fossils.

• Like 2

It's quite interesting and scary as well.  I wonder if they evolved into something else or just died off.

I also vote for calling Burt.

• Like 2

Look up videos of Bobbit Worms, nasty ambush predators. Then there's the rare Loraina Bobbit Worm. Even deadlier.

• Like 2