Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cloud vs External HD

Keel M.

20 minutes ago, Nonentity said:

I guess my follow up question earlier today should've been clearer. I don't understand why on the third device in that list shows a Size of 1TB yet a Memory Storage Capacity and Hard-Drive size to be in GB. What's the difference between Size, Memory Storage Capacity and Hard-Drive size?

As far as I can tell it's just incorrect and duplicated information, unless anyone sees something I don't?

HDD's have something called a cache, which is used as a buffer for faster data handling, but I don't think it's related to anything like that, and it would be nowhere near a gigabyte on a mechanical drive.

37 minutes ago, Nonentity said:

Thanks for your input glorybebe and LV-426. Since the time of the original posting, I've decided to downsize to a smaller notebook PC and there are photos I want to keep in addition to my writing. Many of my photos are on a cloud server, but there are many more that aren't. Those I'd like to store on an external drive. 

I guess my follow up question earlier today should've been clearer. I don't understand why on the third device in that list shows a Size of 1TB yet a Memory Storage Capacity and Hard-Drive size to be in GB. What's the difference between Size, Memory Storage Capacity and Hard-Drive size?

I actually went and looked around at the more tech related sites and none use that terminology.  Now, all hard drives have a certain amount of solid state cache but usually it is 16 or 32 MB for a 1TB drive so just Amazon being ignorant, I'd ignore that particular number.

• Like 1

So it's really the USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 that determines transfer speed?

1 minute ago, Nonentity said:

So it's really the USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 that determines transfer speed?

You definitely want USB 3.0, yep.

To be honest, I don't think you'll find many modern devices that only have USB 2.0 capability anyway.

Even then, unless you're transferring many gigabytes at a time, you wouldn't have any real issues.

• Like 1

Just be aware that if your computer is not USB 3.0 capable you won't see that speed increase.  It will still work just fine on 2.0 but both devices need to be 3.0 capable for the boost.  Also, if you do have that blue plug on your computer, make sure you use it for the external and not your mouse or keyboard as that is just wasting that huge speed boost (doesn't harm anything though).

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Thanks Merc. I'm going to also invest in a new computer so I'm hoping it will have the 3.0 USB on it.

3 hours ago, Nonentity said:

Thanks Merc. I'm going to also invest in a new computer so I'm hoping it will have the 3.0 USB on it.

I'm sure it will, as LV-426 said above, USB 3.0 is the norm now.  If at all feasible, try and get a system with a Solid State Drive (SSD) as the speed increase is incredible

• Like 1

- Cloud for convenience. You files can be easily accessed on any devices but you take risk of loosing your privacy, as you are basically surrendering everything in the hands of a company. The question is how much trust do you have in that company?

- External HDD(s) for safety and peace of mind. Your data is always close at hand. You are the one in control.

Edited by TruthSeeker_