Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Same-Sex Marriage May Reduce Teen Suicide

Claire.

Same-Sex Marriage May Reduce Teen Suicide Attempts

Laws that permit same-sex marriage may help to reduce the rate of teens who attempt suicide, a new report suggests, with the biggest drop found among gay, lesbian and bisexual teens. The report was based on a national survey of nearly 800,000 U.S. teens, including about 230,000 who were gay, lesbian or bisexual. The researchers found that before such policies were implemented, 8.6 percent of all high school students, and 28.5 percent of high school students who identified as sexual minorities, reported that they had attempted suicide. But after the implementation of same-sex marriage, the percentage of all high school students who attempted suicide within the past year fell by 0.6 percentage points, and the percentage of gay, lesbian and bisexual students who attempted suicide fell by 4 percentage points.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 8

Part of it is also the hate they get. A girl who was friends with 2 of my nieces (they're 16 and 14) took her own life after coming out because of bullying, she was only 15 years old. My 16 year old niece came out, thankfully she has so many supportive (including myself) people she can turn to.

• Like 9

Probably has to due with having a stable monogamous relationship with a single person. Mentally that is a healthier place to be... stable, predicable, sharing...

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Part of it is also the hate they get. A girl who was friends with 2 of my nieces (they're 16 and 14) took her own life after coming out because of bullying, she was only 15 years old. My 16 year old niece came out, thankfully she has so many supportive (including myself) people she can turn to.

That is very sad.

I can only imagine this gives some teens hope that if they can get through those tough teen years, they will be able to get married and feel accepted by society.

Edited by Four Winds
  • Like 7

Currently Aussie law is they can't get married. But some state now allow same sex adoptions. Same sex partnerships are legally recognized as domestic partnerships. First thing I did when meeting my niece's girlfriend was say hi and gave her a hug. They both know when we have lunch (school holiday catch up) she's welcomed 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ruby04 said:

My 16 year old niece came out, thankfully she has so many supportive (including myself) people she can turn to.

Same with my nephew. I suspected long before he confided in me. In some ways it brought us much closer together.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Same with my nephew. I suspected long before he confided in me. It some ways it brought us much closer together.

It is a good thing you were there for him, how did the parents react? or do they still not know?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Same with my nephew. I suspected long before he confided in me. In some ways it brought us much closer together.

She had come out to her parents and younger sister, her little brother is 9 so doesn't fully understand he knows she dates girls. She causally came out, I said great, you know how I feel be happy and be safe you're still the same person and still my niece that's not changing. She did have a little trouble with her step poppy's son who tried saying its a choice and that she chose girls. His reasoning was his Bi friend chooses to date both, she blocked him on Facebook after that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Four Winds said:

It is a good thing you were there for him, how did the parents react? or do they still not know?

They were fine with it too. He tried to be straight, but struggled with it during high school. He wasn't afraid to discuss it with his mother or I. We didn't mention it to anyone until he was confident enough to make it general knowledge at about seventeen.

• Like 3

I was pretty sure my daughter liked boys from a very young age, Legolas would make her giggle and blush.  BUT, once she was older and asking questions I told her I would love her the same whether she liked boys or girls.  As long as I was a grandma I didn't care. ;)  We keep a dialogue going even now and she knows no matter what I love her.  

• Like 7

I have a good friend who told me how his mom tried to beat the gayness from him.  That just horrifies me. This is someone's  baby how could someone treat their child this way?  There is so much hate in the world that I sometimes despair for the future of the human race.  No one should be abused because of their orientation. 

• Like 4

Wow, I'm really old and one of my cousins was gay and our whole family accepted him for who he was (and this was long before 'coming out' was even a phrase). He died a few years back, very sad that he was never able to legally marry his partner. Yeah, I have no problem with gay/lesbian marriage.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Wow, I'm really old and one of my cousins was gay and our whole family accepted him for who he was (and this was long before 'coming out' was even a phrase). He died a few years back, very sad that he was never able to legally marry his partner. Yeah, I have no problem with gay/lesbian marriage.

If you are really old what does that make me? :lol:

Yes, back in our day same-sex couples still lived together, but marriage didn't seem possible.

It's none of my business what others do, so I'm fine with it too.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I'm not sure how old you are, but the nephew I was talking has just turned forty. My sister, his mother, is 12 years older, by the way.

I grew up with a guy who lived across the street from us from the time I was born. We were inseparable. It was obvious he was gay and none of us gave it a second thought. We went to the same school for twelve years. Occasionally someone new came in and thought they could make fun of him. They soon learned that wasn't going to fly.

Sadly, he is gone now too. One of his paintings will always hang on my living room wall front and center.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

I grew up with a guy who lived across the street from us from the time I was born. We were inseparable. It was obvious he was gay and none of us gave it a second thought. We went to the same school for twelve years. Occasionally someone new came in and thought they could make fun of him. They soon learned that wasn't going to fly.

I grew up in a sawmill town in the '70s and at high school we had an effeminate Chinese guy that was slightly built, wore thick glasses and was 'artsy'.

No one picked on him. It was an unspoken rule.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I grew up in a sawmill town in the '70s and at high school we had an effeminate Chinese guy that was slightly built, wore thick glasses and was 'artsy'.

No one picked on him. It was an unspoken rule.

When they get nine or ten years old kids start getting into cliques. You go to school with the same people from such a young age they are still part of the pack though. :P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

When they get nine or ten years old kids start getting into cliques. You go to school with the same people from such a young age they are still part of the pack though. :P

We were all in our teens when he moved to town.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

We were all in our teens when he moved to town.

That is admirable. Teens can be very cruel and thoughtless.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

That is admirable. Teens can be very cruel and thoughtless.

I'm guessing that for the 'hard core bullies' that we had,  he was too easy a target and everyone else liked him.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2017 at 10:34 AM, glorybebe said:

I have a good friend who told me how his mom tried to beat the gayness from him.  That just horrifies me. This is someone's  baby how could someone treat their child this way?  There is so much hate in the world that I sometimes despair for the future of the human race.  No one should be abused because of their orientation. 

People are beaten because they are black, or Hispanic, or Asian. Beaten because they are Muslim, Jewish or atheist. Beaten because they are female, a child, or adopted. Beaten because they voted for Trump, or Clinton, or Johnson. Beaten because they are homeless, or because they are red headed, or because they are a "nerd".

No one should be beaten, regardless. Regardless of someone is beaten based on hatred, or on some other reason. No one should suffer being assaulted by another person.

• Like 6

On 2/22/2017 at 3:39 PM, Lilly said:

I actually don't have a problem with "Same Sex" marriage. The only problem I have with it is that calling it Gay Marriage implies it is specially for them. I think if that was true, it would be discriminatory.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

People are beaten because they are black, or Hispanic, or Asian. Beaten because they are Muslim, Jewish or atheist. Beaten because they are female, a child, or adopted. Beaten because they voted for Trump, or Clinton, or Johnson. Beaten because they are homeless, or because they are red headed, or because they are a "nerd".

No one should be beaten, regardless. Regardless of someone is beaten based on hatred, or on some other reason. No one should suffer being assaulted by another person.

Being as this is a thread on Gay marriage, I was not touching on any other reason for discrimination.  I was focusing on the subject at hand.  Of course there is no excuse for bullying or discrimination for any reason.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Everyone has it backwards I reckon, LBGT should not be fighting for "Marriage" we should all be catching up to them and abolishing marriage. You enter an agreement on a verbal contract and resolve it in a court of law? That seems backwards to me end marriage and bring on civil unions. Marriage is a backwards ideal that is due for retirement, we should be entering marriage the same way it ends, in court. 

• Like 2

I didn't read the article, but if same-sex marriages are legal, this may demonstrate that there is acceptance out there for these teens and that they can have open (legally recognized) and healthy relationships with those of their sexual preference in the future.

• Like 1

I say tradition has to catch up to modern sensibilities not the other way round.

• Like 1