Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facts About Piranhas

Claire.

Facts About Piranhas

Piranhas are South American fish with razor-sharp teeth and a reputation for feeding frenzies. In fact, piranha means "tooth fish" in the Brazilian language of the Tupi people. However, not all piranha species have a taste for blood; some are vegetarian.

Many different fish are called "piranha," but the number of species is a matter of debate, according to Piranha-Info. "New unidentified species, regional varieties and color forms are discovered, and new and/or updated research data … is published on a fairly regular basis," the website said. Based on current data, there are between 40 and 60 different species of piranha in 12 different scientific families. Two species, Pygocentrus and Serrasalmus, are popular as aquarium fish, according to Piranha-Info. The most commonly known species is Pygocentrus natterei, the red-bellied piranha.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3

Our secretary at the shop had a tank in her office, and she had a red belly piranha, about 13 inches long. He was a vegan she said. Other fish were fine with him.

He loved me, every time I walked into the office he would follow me with his eyes, just me, nobody else,  It might have been because I fed him all the time. :)

When he died I was devastated. 

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Our secretary at the shop had a tank in her office, and she had a red belly piranha, about 13 inches long. He was a vegan she said. Other fish were fine with him.

He loved me, every time I walked into the office he would follow me with his eyes, just me, nobody else,  It might have been because I fed him all the time. :) When he died I was devastated. 

I feel bad liking something if someone\ animal has passed. But there is no -sympathy and like  the story due to personal experience shared -option...

• Like 2