Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Do You Pick a Lemur Out of a Lineup?

Claire.

How Do You Pick a Lemur Out of a Lineup? This Software Makes the Leap

It sounds like something out of a crime show: police pouring through data from surveillance cameras, using facial recognition software to nab the perp. But now, researchers have adapted this software for use in the forests of Madagascar, identifying and tracking the whereabouts of endangered lemurs.

As the BBC reports, the software, known as LemurFaceID, allows scientists to more effectively track and protect the primates. The software can distinguish individual lemurs from digital photographs with greater than 97-percent accuracy. Researchers hope the tool will improve conservation of the species while providing a more humane, noninvasive way to identify individual lemurs. The team recently published their work in the journal BioMed Central Zoology.

Read more: Smithsonian.com and BioMed Central Zoology

• Like 2

We did a study on lemurs in matric, which entailed (pardon the pun) that we do three weeks of observation. By day four we could distinguish the different lemurs by their manner, and individual colouring (patterns). So identification as such isn't to difficult. Although I do agree that it will speed up the process of identification, but it does take away the pleasure of getting to know the animals personally. So I am glad for technology, yet I feel we are losing touch with nature itself.

• Like 1