Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is my house haunted?

SpookyCanada

Hello everyone. I am from Vancouver, Canada. I am a student and I have lived with my parents in the house of today's topic for about 2 years now. Before I start my story, I want everyone to know that I am a bit freaked out, but I am not and I have no reason to make this up. I've created this account for the sole purpose to find out what could be going on, but also to continue looking on this site because it's interesting. I want to know if my house and or an object in my house is possibly haunted, I would like any and all opinions, including what I should possibly do or any personal similar stories. Okay so here's the story (most of it happened today by the way) 

Okay, so a little background. I've lived in the house with my family members for roughly 2 years now as I've said before, I've always believed in the paranormal and strange unexplained things, and I've heard family stories but never actually have experienced anything paranormal... possibly until now. 

For the last few days, I've felt almost a presence in the house. I've felt like I'm being watched at some points when I'm alone upstairs or when I'm alone in a room upstairs. The house we currently live in is not old at all, built in the 1980s I believe, but as I've said it hasn't started until recently. That being said, there are tons of old antiques (and even militaria - military antiques like uniforms and helmets and caps, etc ranging from the Victorian Era to modern). I've heard that ghosts can attach themselves to objects so if there is a spirit I would think it's attached itself to a recent addition rather than the house itself. But I will continue the story...

So yeah I've felt almost a presence and being watched etc for the past few days... however everything really started today. So this morning I woke up feeling fine. I went into the bathroom and had a refreshing bath to start the day, I had the door slightly open because no one was upstairs, yet I felt the sudden urge to get out because I felt like I was intensely being watched. I quickly got dressed and went down stairs. But even at this point I wasn't that freaked out, and actually I didn't really connect it until after "what happens next" happened. Once I had breakfast and got ready about 40 minutes later I went back up into my room to get my bed ready. My mom was down stairs but shouted my name (Jamie) and she said something about school, but she shouted it from downstairs and was downstairs. No one else except for myself and my mom were in the house at the time, my Sister already headed to school 5 minutes earlier and my dad is in Florida for a few days on vacation. Anyway about literally thirty seconds after my mom and I were talking with each other, I heard a clear voice (that sounded like it was in the same room, right next to me almost) "Jamie". I was instantly weirded out because it did not sound like my mom, (I think it sounded kind of male) it was very quick, and it sounded as if it was right into my ear. I stood up and looked around in my room, there was nothing. No one was upstairs but I decided to ask my mom as I went down the stairs "Did you just call my name?" I said firmly, my mom said very clearly with a straight face "No". I explained what had happened and she was a bit weirded out. I was weirded out and went to school pretty quickly. Around 11-12 this afternoon my mom texts me and says "I know what happened today and I don't mean to freak you out but the radio just turned off by itself" 

Her story is she was in the kitchen washing the dishes, and the radio is on the other side of the room. She had turned it on about 30 minutes earlier and it doesn't auto-turn off anyway. You have the physically press the button hard to turn it off. She was washing dishes and listing to music and suddenly the radio turned off according to her, but she thought it might have been a radio glitch or something along those lines so she waited about 15 seconds and continued to wash the dishes. Tired of waiting, she went over to the radio and it was off. The plug was still and it was in working order, but it was turned off. And as I said it doesn't auto-turn off, and even if it did, it had only been 30 minutes and I've seen this thing run for like 4 hours no problem, so it's no set on an auto-turn off of 30 minutes. And the radio is in perfect working order. So now both my mom and I are both freaked out a bit. That's the only thing that's happened today but there's a couple more stories. 

According to my sister (this was yesterday before this happened and before I told anyone anything about being watched or anything) she was doing homework in her room, and she has a like folding 2 door closet, and the closet doors ripped open fully on their own. It freaked her out quite a bit, but my mom brushed it off a little bit as being nothing, she thought that maybe a house movement or something logical could explain it, and calmed my sister down. This was before the events of today happened, so what would my sister get from making that story up? Also I don't think closet doors can just fly open. 

One more story from me, last night I was in bed about to go to sleep. My house often makes "house noises" and it's a normal thing, but I could've sworn I heard knocking on the wall, and it lasted like a minute, this one could be explained as a "house noise" but it sounded like legit knocking so I don't know about this one. This one I'm not sure about, it could be knocking but the constant feeling of being watched when no ones around, and the other 3 incidents are VERY strange! I don't know what to do, but I'm pretty sure something is here. I have heard stories but have no experience of the paranormal and I don't know what to do. I am a bit freaked out. Anything personal stories and or opinions of what to possibly do, or if it's a "friendly being" or not would be appreciated. Thanks for reading everyone, you all have a good spooky day! Many thanks,

-Jamie

• Like 1

I meant to also add it "if it is anything" doesn't seem to have a particular room (kitchen was downstairs, the bathroom, my sisters room, and my room are upstairs) but most of feeling of being watched and the experiences have been upstairs, aside from the radio. I meant to also also add that I have had some recent antique military items to my collection a few days ago, and before they came in this didn't happen. A few weeks ago I obtained a 1960s Canadian Uniform, a WW1-WW2 British/Canadian helmet (really rusty, actually looks a bit scary) a WWII Slouch hat and some old medals. About 3 weeks ago (before all of this happened) I purchased a Victorian Era (late 1800s) British uniform. So perhaps if anything it could be attached to one of these? Just wanted to add that. Any and all opinions, personal stories would be appreciated. Thanks,

-Jamie

• Like 1

Firstly, when was the last time you've been to the doctor? You may want to schedule an appointment to discuss the feelings you're having. 

High EMF levels can make people experience these types of feelings, paranoia, nervousness and feeling like you're being watched. You may need and electrician come and check it out as well as the outlet where the radio was plugged into. 

How old is your sister and does she tend to be overly dramatic? My daughter used to be a drama queen.  Everything was the end of the world and she was dying every other day. Ha ha!

• Like 2

I have been really happy lately and nothing bad or depressing or tiring or anything like that has been happening lately. My sister does not tend to be that overdramatic and from the look on her face, the tone of her voice and he constant bringing it up for like an hour yesterday she seemed legi scared or at least confused as to what had happened with her closet doors. She's 11 and is younger than me, but she was legit scared yesterday and this was before what happened today. I was very awake and aware today and I heard my name clearly called. I have had no mental issues before and I as I said before I was very awake today and I was in a happy mood today, I am a bit freaked out but only because of what has happened today and yesterday... 

• Like 2

Thank you for the helpful articles. That could be the case, and I'm not taking it out as a possibility yet, but the radio turned off and my sisters door opened, so I am still a bit uncertain. But I appreciate your insight, as I'm still a bit confused and freaked out from the recent happenings in the house. 

• Like 3

What often happens in situations like yours is that it starts with one thing and then snowballs from there, as we often have a propensity to then start attributing the paranormal to just about every out of the ordinary occurrence that we can't otherwise explain.

But the thing is, your experiences are all explainable.

It is not unusual, for example, for radios and other electronic equipment to turn on/off by themselves (malfunctions or electrical issues). Nor is it unusual for doors to open and close by themselves (pressure changes, gravity, wind). Auditory hallucinations are not uncommon either.

You also need to be aware that a number of environmental issues, such as carbon monoxide and mold, can cause hallucinations. If the situation in your home gets any worse, you should get a professional in to ensure that none of these problems are present. Having your electrical wiring checked, as SecretSanta suggested, would also be a good idea.

I understand why you might feel unnerved, but you're scaring yourself unnecessarily. Your home is not haunted.

• Like 4