Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4 A.M.

ThreeGalaxiesAway

So my main question is: Is there anything significant about 4 a.m. and paranormal activity?

A couple weeks ago I had these strange incidences that resulted in me waking up at 4 a.m. for a few days of that week but not in a now. I would wake up and a couple minutes pass by and I would hear something in the living room or kitchen that I shouldn't be hearing. I have three cats and when it first happened I first automatically assumed it was them but I realized that each and every time when I heard something they were all in bed with me. This may get long but if you have any explanation please tell me.

Before I really get started I wanted to mention that I only lived in this house for a good 4/5 years but the seller was this little old Korean lady (imma talk about her in another post later there is some weird stuff) She recently lost her husband and I am suspecting that if this is a ghost that it is him but I'm not sure because he died in a hospital not the house.

First Night: I woke up and I hear the birds in the living room start freaking out. Usually they only do that when the cats try getting at them (Even though they can't) and I thought that it was probably my youngest cat named Ahsoka. But when I looked in my bed and saw that all my cats were with me my heart dropped. I thought it could have been an intruder because both my parents were asleep. So I grab a knife and check all the rooms in my house. I was panicking so much I was on the verge of tears. But eventually I saw that there was nothing there. I eventually calm down and realize that I had some laundry I had to do so like stupid white person in a horror movie I was I went into the garage. That place is cluttered with so much stuff you can't fit a car in there. I start putting things in the washing machine but then I hear a noise in the far corner of the room. I jumped and I tried convincing myself that it was just my imagination (I also forgot to mention I still have that knife with me). Once I am close to finishing up I hear a bigger noise that sounded like rustling and I point the knife in that direction. I got scared and started throwing threats and there was tears streaming down my face. In the back of my mind I kinda just knew that if there was something there but it wasn't human. I leave immediately without finishing my laundry I was done and I didn't want to deal with it. I couldn't go back to sleep and I had to go to school. That day sucked.

Second Night. I wake up at the unusual 4 a.m. and I just so happen to hear the sound of a pot or pan clanking. Like last time both my parents were asleep and all my cats were with me. I get up and start panicking again thinking it was an intruder because I am not taking any chances. One of my cats immediately takes notice and I swear he looked scared out his little kitty mind. He went into his stalking position and tried to see what it was over there, so me seeing that my cat thought something there didn't not make me happy. I once again grab a knife and repeat the process of searching the house. Nothing. Then for some god knows what reason I need to go to the garage again. I learned my lesson from last time and I didn't go. Being all hyped up on adrenaline I couldn't go back to sleep and it was another unforgiving school day.

Third night: Wake up. Hear noise. Cats in bed. I was done at this point. I was tired of doing this and didn't want to go through it again but just in case I lazily check most of the room and find nothing. I was still panicking because at this point I believed that this was a ghost and the thought terrified me. I get super paranoid and I got so scared I kept hearing noises and I thought I saw shadows out of the corner of my eye. Luckily this time it was on the weekend so I didn't have to go to school.

There is a fourth night to this experience and it just happened a couple hours ago. It's 6 A.M. and I'm sorry if there is a bunch of grammatical errors. 

But the post right before this one, or the first post I've ever made talks about the fourth because I just made this account this morning  to vent out my ghostly ridden tragedies. Like I said in the first paragraph if you have any sort of explanation for this tell me because I would like to know more.

• Like 4

Yes, it is often claimed that ghosts become more active at night. My opinion is that there is probably something to those claims.

Well, whatever you got going on I can't say. It is possible that your imagination and fears, once triggered, are multiplying themselves. The other real possibility is an entity, perhaps the old (strange you say) owners are back for a visit reliving the past? Or other possibilities?

If it goes away then who knows? But, if you seriously think it involves the paranormal and it is causing you considerable distress then the only thing I can suggest is getting the advice of people who are experienced with the paranormal. I think these paranormal happenings are not as rare (or impossible) as most people believe.

I would say that these events could be waking dreams, when you are transitioning between sleep and wakefulness, and what you are actually dreaming seems like reality. I frequently experience these waking dreams and many others do too. These periods of sleep-wakefulness transition often occur at the same time because of your Circadian rhythm.

• Like 4

First and foremost, next time you think you hear something that might point to an intruder, alert your parents and immediately call the police. Do not go through your home, knife in hand, in search of them. The police will thoroughly examine your home inside and out. They will also indicate if there is need to further secure any doors or windows. Even if it turns out to be a false alarm, better safe than sorry. Even the police will tell you that.

Second, there is nothing paranormal about waking up at 4 am, or any other hour for that matter. Chances that the noises you heard were paranormal in nature, are slim next to none. It's not unusual for birds to get startled, your cat might have been reacting to your nervousness, and the noise in the cluttered garage could have been caused by a small animal, or even items, teetering precariously as they most often do in a cluttered area, being knocked over whilst you were there investigating.

You have a right to believe whatever it is you want to, but I would caution you not to get too caught up in paranormal explanations for every 4 am bump you hear in the night, as it will only cause unnecessary fear and anxiety. Be clear headed and practical, and never again put yourself front and center next time you think you hear an intruder.

• Like 4

The birds that your cats go after... they are pets? Inside the house? In cages? Could one have figured out how to open it's door and be the source of the noises etc. ? The cats might stare because it sees the birds in the dark and wonders why in the heck it is out of its cage at 4am. 

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, it is often claimed that ghosts become more active at night. My opinion is that there is probably something to those claims.

I have the same opinion .    Isnt it funny how so much 'spooky stuff' only seems to happen at night  ?   :rolleyes:   

10 minutes ago, back to earth said:

I have the same opinion .    Isnt it funny how so much 'spooky stuff' only seems to happen at night  ?   :rolleyes:   

But I was suggesting there were paranormal reasons and not just normal reasons for this. For example, different energies, people more sensitive to genuine psychic phenomena during sleep, and the fact that physical mediums can be injured by light, etc.. These things and others I may be neglecting to mention makes me think the nighttime is more conducive to genuine paranormal phenomena. I already know the skeptic's position on why more seems to occur at night and that reasoning may also have some truth to it (but I do not believe it to be the whole story).

I am dubious about any story that starts with "I woke up", because you are not fully awake.

As for the 4am thing, Don't underestimate the ability of your brain to keep time with astonishing accuracy, and wake you up at any time you get fixated on.

I tell you no lie..... I woke up this morning at exactly 4 o'clock, because I had read this thread! That's how easy it is.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

But I was suggesting there were paranormal reasons and not just normal reasons for this. For example, different energies, people more sensitive to genuine psychic phenomena during sleep, and the fact that physical mediums can be injured by light, etc.. These things and others I may be neglecting to mention makes me think the nighttime is more conducive to genuine paranormal phenomena. I already know the skeptic's position on why more seems to occur at night and that reasoning may also have some truth to it (but I do not believe it to be the whole story).

ohhhhh  paranormal reasons now  ?   not just events 

I like this paranormal reason ....  ' different  energies '       ,  thats a good one !      :D  

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

ohhhhh  paranormal reasons now  ?   not just events 

I like this paranormal reason ....  ' different  energies '       ,  thats a good one !      :D  

Stop trolling me unless you are willing to discuss things in a half-way intelligent manner.

• Like 1

Well, I started off by saying that ;  funny how paranormal always happens at night , or in a dark old house , or out in the dark forest ....  

seems to me thats significant .   We never hear of a ghost sighting, on a bright clear day out in a park .   I'll get half intelligent if you will . 

here you go ;   I also found your reasons given that it might be ' different energies'  vague and   wishy washy . . . . not really a reason at all actually   

Oh no !   I   ' trolled you '  again  .          :rolleyes:

Two bits:  Don't know about para or ghosts, have never delt with, yes looked, an unknown.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:12 AM, Claire. said:

never again put yourself front and center next time you think you hear an intruder

Claire is right.  I don't care what you have, swing your knife cute bat, it will laugh and make you eat it.  Male or Female I don't care, Claire is right.  The officers are right, better safe then sorry.  The officers don't mind one bit, well at least where I'm from and grew up.  They'll gladly check things for you.  Oh HA! just thought to mention ah ..running it by your parents way in advance first might be a good idea.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2017 at 2:13 PM, ThreeGalaxiesAway said:

So my main question is: Is there anything significant about 4 a.m. and paranormal activity?

A couple weeks ago I had these strange incidences that resulted in me waking up at 4 a.m. for a few days of that week but not in a now. I would wake up and a couple minutes pass by and I would hear something in the living room or kitchen that I shouldn't be hearing. I have three cats and when it first happened I first automatically assumed it was them but I realized that each and every time when I heard something they were all in bed with me. This may get long but if you have any explanation please tell me.

Before I really get started I wanted to mention that I only lived in this house for a good 4/5 years but the seller was this little old Korean lady (imma talk about her in another post later there is some weird stuff) She recently lost her husband and I am suspecting that if this is a ghost that it is him but I'm not sure because he died in a hospital not the house.

First Night: I woke up and I hear the birds in the living room start freaking out. Usually they only do that when the cats try getting at them (Even though they can't) and I thought that it was probably my youngest cat named Ahsoka. But when I looked in my bed and saw that all my cats were with me my heart dropped. I thought it could have been an intruder because both my parents were asleep. So I grab a knife and check all the rooms in my house. I was panicking so much I was on the verge of tears. But eventually I saw that there was nothing there. I eventually calm down and realize that I had some laundry I had to do so like stupid white person in a horror movie I was I went into the garage. That place is cluttered with so much stuff you can't fit a car in there. I start putting things in the washing machine but then I hear a noise in the far corner of the room. I jumped and I tried convincing myself that it was just my imagination (I also forgot to mention I still have that knife with me). Once I am close to finishing up I hear a bigger noise that sounded like rustling and I point the knife in that direction. I got scared and started throwing threats and there was tears streaming down my face. In the back of my mind I kinda just knew that if there was something there but it wasn't human. I leave immediately without finishing my laundry I was done and I didn't want to deal with it. I couldn't go back to sleep and I had to go to school. That day sucked.

Second Night. I wake up at the unusual 4 a.m. and I just so happen to hear the sound of a pot or pan clanking. Like last time both my parents were asleep and all my cats were with me. I get up and start panicking again thinking it was an intruder because I am not taking any chances. One of my cats immediately takes notice and I swear he looked scared out his little kitty mind. He went into his stalking position and tried to see what it was over there, so me seeing that my cat thought something there didn't not make me happy. I once again grab a knife and repeat the process of searching the house. Nothing. Then for some god knows what reason I need to go to the garage again. I learned my lesson from last time and I didn't go. Being all hyped up on adrenaline I couldn't go back to sleep and it was another unforgiving school day.

Third night: Wake up. Hear noise. Cats in bed. I was done at this point. I was tired of doing this and didn't want to go through it again but just in case I lazily check most of the room and find nothing. I was still panicking because at this point I believed that this was a ghost and the thought terrified me. I get super paranoid and I got so scared I kept hearing noises and I thought I saw shadows out of the corner of my eye. Luckily this time it was on the weekend so I didn't have to go to school.

There is a fourth night to this experience and it just happened a couple hours ago. It's 6 A.M. and I'm sorry if there is a bunch of grammatical errors. 

But the post right before this one, or the first post I've ever made talks about the fourth because I just made this account this morning  to vent out my ghostly ridden tragedies. Like I said in the first paragraph if you have any sort of explanation for this tell me because I would like to know more.

Witching hour is between 3 and 4 according to occultists. Some would say someone on the other side is trying to pass you a message.