Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's Up with Warm February Weather in US?

Claire.

What's Up with Warm February Weather in Most of US?

It may still be February, but spring-like temperatures in most of the United States are making people shed their winter coats unseasonably soon. So what's behind this warm weather?

Typically, February is the third coldest month of the year, falling behind December and January, but this February may be one for the record books, according to the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI).

The official average temperature isn't available for February 2017 (since the month isn't over yet), but the first three weeks in most U.S. locations were warmer than average, except for in the Pacific Northwest and northern New England, said Jake Crouch, an NCEI climate scientist in Ashville, North Carolina.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 2

It was just snowing here a half an hour ago.  It rarely snows this late in the year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

Mid 80's here right now, Mrs ZZ wants me to crank up the AC. :rolleyes:

Not jealous even a little bit.  You must just die in the summer.

• Like 3

Ever since that huge snowstorm earlier this month, we've had spring-like weather. February is usually the worst month for us, but this year it's been amazing.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not jealous even a little bit.  You must just die in the summer.

That's for sure. It's like walking into a sauna...fully dressed :lol:

• Like 3

The warm weather is in a belt across the southern US, extending westward into New Mexico.  This has been going on for five years now.  The last really cold winter was 2011 which saw sub-zero cold in northern Oklahoma.  Is it global warming?  Maybe.  But it has only been happening for five years, so that's not much evidence to go on.  The relocated Polar Vortex has been happening since about 2007.  That's better evidence and fits with the theory better.

Doug

• Like 2

21 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

EXACTLY.  And 4-5 months of that are quite enough.  Now we seem to be adding a month.

• Like 2

I remember years ago, when  I went in to have my daughter born Feb 16, 1981. The tulips were up with buds on them:)    

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 2:54 PM, .ZZ. said:

That is why we have a pool. My family goes aquatic in the summer. Hot isn't near as bad when you can just jump in the pool. I'm about 50 miles north of Houston now but was raised in Beaumont so fully understand about living in a sauna.

This though is just how weather is. I remember a January back in the late 70s when it was in the 90s the first week of the new year. I took a weeks vacation because the bass were trying to spawn and the fishing was wild. I spent the week swimming and fishing and just had a great week.   

• Like 3

Wettest, coldest winter ive experienced in 7 years living where i do now. 

• Like 5

WT

?

Probably warmth data out there, this year 3 pieces of equipment stuck and we had to bring out the CAT.  Nobody can remember that much snow.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2017 at 3:01 PM, Claire. said:

What's Up with Warm February Weather in Most of US?

It may still be February, but spring-like temperatures in most of the United States are making people shed their winter coats unseasonably soon. So what's behind this warm weather?

Typically, February is the third coldest month of the year, falling behind December and January, but this February may be one for the record books, according to the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI).

The official average temperature isn't available for February 2017 (since the month isn't over yet), but the first three weeks in most U.S. locations were warmer than average, except for in the Pacific Northwest and northern New England, said Jake Crouch, an NCEI climate scientist in Ashville, North Carolina.

Read more: Live Science

I thought it was normal where I'm from. My psychical science professor was teaching us about global warming and carbon dioxide and about greenhouse effects/ the effects of coal and other power sources. This could play a big part in it.

• Like 1

The weather is a roller coaster this month. Last week here in the Midwest was 70's and now 40's daytime.

Out in California they had dry weather for years causing brushfires, now they're flooded with rain causing sinkholes. Crazy:wacko:

• Like 2

Weather is always changing. As you get older you see this more than you do when you are younger. Right now we are hearing about the terrible "Global Warming". I remember when it was that we were on the precipis of another possible "Iceage" that was also caused by people. I remember the hole in the ozone layer that never was and it only cost us a little over a trillion dollars to "fix" the non-problem. It will eventually get warmer. It has done so in the past. It will eventually get colder just as it has in the past. I suspect that it would be much the same if humanity had never evolved. 

I personally like the weather. It keeps life from getting boring. The fact is that if people get too weak to adapt to change maybe it will be time for us to move over and let the next species step up and try to do better. Personally I think I would prefer to be hot than frozen. That is how you get though when you only see snow every 20 years or so. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DanL said:

Weather is always changing. As you get older you see this more than you do when you are younger. Right now we are hearing about the terrible "Global Warming".

Just a thought here:  weather and global warming aren't the same thing.  Weather is what happens day-to-day.  Look out the window - that's weather.   Climate (global warming) is the average of what happens over 30 years.  It's a statistic.

Doug

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Why not said:

Maybe it's the planet doing what it has always done.

i shouldn't say that, someone might call me stupid or a denier.

What "it" is is a combination of what the planet has always done and a small, but never-relenting increase in warming.  That increase is only 1.6 degrees in the central US over the last 150 years.  Not much, but that energy has to go somewhere and the "wild weather" we're having is a result.

Doug

• Like 2

Global warming IS a statistic. The problem is that the final result of any set of statistics is totaly dependent on the information that is used to form those statistics. Too often these days I've caught various organizations and groups starting with the answer and working back to the question. A quick exapmle is the claims of the many gun related deaths in America. There IS a problem but first off it isn't as bad as we are led to believe and secondly the cause is people not THINGS. When the anti-gun lobby gathered their numbers you must understand, their figures included the people that police shoot to stop crime, American military deaths where a gun was involved ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, shootings where people protected and possibly saved themselves against violent attack, accidental hunting accidents, at home accidents and suicides. The end result makes you think that people are attacking and shooting each-other constantly. 

There is BIG BIG money in global warming. The people making that money will do anything to keep it flowing. There is big money in bad news of any kind. All you have to do is tell people that it is the end of the world and their only hope is to shovel money into your pockets so they can study the problem and save us. There is NO money in good news. 

I love statistical analysis and gather info with a voratious appitite. I also know how to usually get to the PARAMETERS in a given statistical statement. The two most important things you need to find is WHO paid for the study and exactly how, where  and by whom were the elements and statistics gathered. The corn syrup studies that tell us how terrible it is are usually financed by the cane sugar companies LOL. 

As near as I can tell right now there are strong indications that we are experiencing a global warming period. What is a lot less certain is whether this is going to be a long term, as in decades to centuries long, event or not. It is also inconclusive at this time whether or not mankind is totally responsible for this and more important whether anything short of murdering 60% of all the people on Earth is going to have much effect on it. 

It does little to NO good for America to bankrupt itself by refusing to use available resources and instead export that work to other countries that are totally unconcerned about the problem. In the end IF people are the primary cause it will be the healthy and advanced nations of the world that will find answers. Also IF global warming is a problem we as a species will adapt or die. I vote for adapt. 

• Like 3

Weather in Oz ;     Moree in northern NSW ,  36 straight days of at least 35 degrees Celsius

2 hours ago, DanL said:

Global warming IS a statistic. The problem is that the final result of any set of statistics is totaly dependent on the information that is used to form those statistics. Too often these days I've caught various organizations and groups starting with the answer and working back to the question. A quick exapmle is the claims of the many gun related deaths in America. There IS a problem but first off it isn't as bad as we are led to believe and secondly the cause is people not THINGS. When the anti-gun lobby gathered their numbers you must understand, their figures included the people that police shoot to stop crime, American military deaths where a gun was involved ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, shootings where people protected and possibly saved themselves against violent attack, accidental hunting accidents, at home accidents and suicides. The end result makes you think that people are attacking and shooting each-other constantly. 

There is BIG BIG money in global warming. The people making that money will do anything to keep it flowing. There is big money in bad news of any kind. All you have to do is tell people that it is the end of the world and their only hope is to shovel money into your pockets so they can study the problem and save us. There is NO money in good news. 

I love statistical analysis and gather info with a voratious appitite. I also know how to usually get to the PARAMETERS in a given statistical statement. The two most important things you need to find is WHO paid for the study and exactly how, where  and by whom were the elements and statistics gathered. The corn syrup studies that tell us how terrible it is are usually financed by the cane sugar companies LOL. 

As near as I can tell right now there are strong indications that we are experiencing a global warming period. What is a lot less certain is whether this is going to be a long term, as in decades to centuries long, event or not. It is also inconclusive at this time whether or not mankind is totally responsible for this and more important whether anything short of murdering 60% of all the people on Earth is going to have much effect on it. 

It does little to NO good for America to bankrupt itself by refusing to use available resources and instead export that work to other countries that are totally unconcerned about the problem. In the end IF people are the primary cause it will be the healthy and advanced nations of the world that will find answers. Also IF global warming is a problem we as a species will adapt or die. I vote for adapt. 

Its what I think its just climate changes that happens,not global warming by man, Its why the globalists  changed the wording. The earth has warmed up it the past many times  when man wasn't even around.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

Weather in Oz ;     Moree in northern NSW ,  36 straight days of at least 35 degrees Celsius

How was the heatwave a couple weeks ago!!!

Just up from me at Canungra, it hit 46 degrees celsius - for you Mericans, that is about 115 degrees Fahrenheit

0ed38f3ca38a6d9dfa64e23843dc23ae?width=6

LINK - 46C then thermometer had meltdown in Gold Coast Hinterland

Working at The Outpost Cafe Canungra she said temperatures regularly hit 50C over her grill in the kitchen,

“It’s only like days like today that you really feel it,” she said.

“I’ve been doing this here for about nine years now.”

• Like 5

15 hours ago, DanL said:

Global warming IS a statistic. The problem is that the final result of any set of statistics is totaly dependent on the information that is used to form those statistics.

That's what science and statistical sampling are all about.  The type of work you're talking about doesn't get published in peer-reviewed journals.  Taking your info from propaganda sheets is a good way to get it wrong.

15 hours ago, DanL said:

There is BIG BIG money in global warming. The people making that money will do anything to keep it flowing. There is big money in bad news of any kind.

There is indeed big money in global warming.  But it's not where you think it is.  There's a new 400mV line under construction eight miles west of my house.  It's there because there's a 3.5-cent per kwh difference in price between wind-power and gas power.  That difference is worth billions to the company building that line.

Mr. Big Oil, himself, T. Boone Pickens, owns two wind farms.  Why do you think that is?

Tesla is building a plant in Nevada to make batteries for electric cars?  Why do you think that is?

The money is in creating new inventions (like the fluorescent light bulb) that conserve energy, or in making more-efficient power stations to convert.  Scientific research is paltry by comparison.

If you want to save the world, invent a product useful for conserving or generating cheap energy, market it and get rich, too.  It's a damn good thing there's big money in global warming, or we'd never convert to green energy.

The whole idea is to switch to clean energy, not bankrupt the country - Trmp's new budget will bankrupt us without any help.  And conversion is coming.  Government's role, if it wants one, is to facilitate development of infrastructure and fund research to bring down costs for the new technologies.  Once that happens, business will convert all by itself.  We won't half to compel them.

Is the climate getting warmer?  I have instrumental records going back to 1824.  Yes.  It's getting warmer.

Will this continue?  It will unless the atmospheric concentration of carbon drops.  Carbon has a half-life in the atmosphere of at least 300 years.  Draw your own conclusions.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Its what I think its just climate changes that happens,not global warming by man, Its why the globalists  changed the wording. The earth has warmed up it the past many times  when man wasn't even around.  

Check the graph trends 

Image result for global temperatures over long scale time

• Like 2

18 hours ago, psyche101 said:

How was the heatwave a couple weeks ago!!!

Just up from me at Canungra, it hit 46 degrees celsius - for you Mericans, that is about 115 degrees Fahrenheit

0ed38f3ca38a6d9dfa64e23843dc23ae?width=6

LINK - 46C then thermometer had meltdown in Gold Coast Hinterland

Working at The Outpost Cafe Canungra she said temperatures regularly hit 50C over her grill in the kitchen,

“It’s only like days like today that you really feel it,” she said.

“I’ve been doing this here for about nine years now.”

I spent a lot of it  leaning against this wall, being splashed by sea foam and a cool easterly  ...... thank God !  

Image result for sawtell NSW ocean pool

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2