Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You Can Still Buy Pig-Hair Toothbrushes

Claire.

You Can Still Buy Pig-Hair Toothbrushes
On this day in 1938, DuPont’s new toothbrush went on sale. Doctor West’s Miracle-Tuft was an innovation that shaped dental care. Rather than the pig-hair bristles that people had used before, the new toothbrush used nylon.

Although maybe pig-hair toothbrushes sound weird to modern ears, in a time before products like nylon (which was invented in 1935 by a DuPont chemist) it wasn’t easy to find something that was stiff enough to brush your teeth but soft enough to not completely destroy your mouth.

Some people still brush their teeth with pig-hair toothbrushes today. Although most toothbrushes market still rely on nylon bristles, at least one brand uses the hair from pigs bred for meat. At present, there are no totally plant-based toothbrushes on the market, although manufacturers of brushes with wooden handles say they’re pushing for better options. 

Read more: Smithsonian.com

• Like 4

They also make the finest paint brushes for oil-based paints.  

• Like 2

I bet you can still buy badger hair shaving brushes as well. :(

• Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 2:29 PM, ouija ouija said:

I bet you can still buy badger hair shaving brushes as well. :(

And beaver hair ones.

Just now, Eldorado said:

And beaver hair ones.

Nothin worse than having to dig that beaver hair out of the back of your throat later though. :D

• Like 1

I used to have a boar bristle hairbrush but after a certain point it stinks horribly, especially if you wet it slightly to prevent static electricity from making your hair go astray. I don't use it anymore.