Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA May Add Crew to 1st Orion/SLS Flight

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Kicks off Study to Add Crew to First Flight of Orion, SLS as Progress Continues to Send Humans to Deep Space

NASA is assessing the feasibility of adding a crew to the first integrated flight of the agency’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft, Exploration Mission-1 (EM-1). NASA is building new deep space capabilities to take humans farther into the solar system than we have ever traveled, and ultimately to Mars.

Acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot announced Feb. 15 that he had asked William Gerstenmaier, associate administrator for NASA’s Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate in Washington, to conduct the study, and it is now underway. NASA expects it to be completed in early spring.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 3

Given the current administration's antiscience stance, i.e. climate change as politicized science, this might be a necessary and calculated risk to keep NASA in the public eye for future funding.

Edited by highdesert50
reason for edit: words dropped when posted
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, geraldnewfie said:

get spacex to do it, faster on getting funding as nasa is low on funds these days because US is spending it on nukes

You do realise that a lot of SpaceX's funding has come from NASA don't you?

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

So let me get this straight highdesert, even though obama wanted to move NASA out of the space exploration business and use it as a tool to push his climate agenda rather than what it was formed to do, that somehow makes the current administration's agenda anti-science and makes this a stunt?

3 hours ago, muzzy101 said:

So let me get this straight highdesert, even though obama wanted to move NASA out of the space exploration business and use it as a tool to push his climate agenda rather than what it was formed to do, that somehow makes the current administration's agenda anti-science and makes this a stunt?

Wherever the money flows, there will be a political agenda. I knew someone who worked at the CDC and said how political it had become. I believe Obama also ordered NASA to highlight Muslim contributions to science as a priority....

Folks, let's try and stay on topic. There are enough posts pro- are anti-Trump in the US Politics section. Let's leave them there and keep posts here relevant to the Orion/SLS programme please.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 1:29 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

You do realise that a lot of SpaceX's funding has come from NASA don't you?

yes which makes my point, they must be low on funds to support spacex instead doing it themselves. what we need is take the billions from the war BS and use it for nasa

1 hour ago, geraldnewfie said:

yes which makes my point, they must be low on funds to support spacex instead doing it themselves. 

What are you talking about? You are arguing in circles and making no sense.

First you claim that NASA should get SpaceX to do the mission because NASA are low on funds. Then when I pointed out to you that most of SpaceX's funding for crewed missions comes from NASA you claim that this is proof NASA is low on funds because otherwise NASA would be doing it themselves.

NASA ARE doing it themselves... That was the very thing you said they shouldn't be doing.

NASA are currently funding THREE crewed spacecraft, the Orion (which whilst you are going around in illogical circles you may have missed is the subject of this topic) SpaceX's Dragon and Boeing's CST-100 Starliner. So how does that suggest NASA is low on funds and needs to get SpaceX to do it.

The reason they are funding SpaceX  (and Boeing) has nothing to do with underfunding and everything to do with being directed to kickstart commercial spaceflight by the previous two administrations.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise that money would be better spent on space exploration than war, nor am I saying that NASA has as much funding as it wants or needs but I am disagreeing with your total lack of logic and comprehension of the genuine situation.