Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fake Trees Used as Spy Posts in WWI

Claire.

These Fake Trees Were Used as Spy Posts on the Front Lines of World War I

As a result of World War I, we now count among our military innovations the likes of tanks, flamethrowers, tracer bullets…and fake trees. Amid the war, they were called observation trees and were tucked into the woods along the front lines—faux wooden housing for soldiers to ascend and gain an otherwise unseen advantage.

The French, the British, and the Germans used these trees throughout Great War. The French were the first to use one, in 1915, and they then tutored the British on the approach—which was adopted by the Germans soon thereafter. Creating the trees was a lengthy and detailed process since, with such close proximity to the front lines, everything needed to be carried out in secret.

Read more: Smithsonian.com

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Claire. said:

These Fake Trees Were Used as Spy Posts on the Front Lines of World War I

As a result of World War I, we now count among our military innovations the likes of tanks, flamethrowers, tracer bullets…and fake trees. Amid the war, they were called observation trees and were tucked into the woods along the front lines—faux wooden housing for soldiers to ascend and gain an otherwise unseen advantage.

The French, the British, and the Germans used these trees throughout Great War. The French were the first to use one, in 1915, and they then tutored the British on the approach—which was adopted by the Germans soon thereafter. Creating the trees was a lengthy and detailed process since, with such close proximity to the front lines, everything needed to be carried out in secret.

Read more: Smithsonian.com

We still use trees and bushes for special ops and  some civilian snipers use them in rural settings. 

Whatever works to get the job done. 

• Like 2

Those fake trees are not very convincing! Couldn't they have put a bit more foliage on them? You know..... spruce them up a bit.

• Like 3

and hey local and federal agencies still use fake trees today to intercept our communications to control our lives keep us safe FAKE CELL TOWERS ALLOW THE NSA AND POLICE TO KEEP TRACK OF YOU

Image result for fake tree stingray

• Like 1