Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remedial Lessons For Schoolteachers?

Eldorado

Too many teachers are making common spelling, punctuation and grammar errors, it has been claimed.

They struggle to teach youngsters correct use of colons and how to spell words such as ‘definitely’ because they do not have a good enough grasp of the basics themselves.

This is because a generation of children who were taught ‘creativity’ rather than good grammar in schools in the 1970s and 80s are now in the teaching profession.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4258208/Teachers-need-spelling-lessons.html

Who'd a thunk it?

:(

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

Depends what one is teaching. I was a science teacher and really never dealt with grammar, spelling and punctuation all that much. However, there is a level of competence that anyone with an advanced education should be able to achieve.

• Like 6

You just know everyone's going to go through that story with a fine toothcomb to look for any spelling, punctuation and grammar errors, aren't they. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

You just know everyone's going to go through that story with a fine toothcomb to look for any spelling, punctuation and grammar errors, aren't they. 

I'm trying to decide whether or not your sentence required a question mark. Or, indeed, my sentence.

Or... do I overuse ellipsis, just because I like them? Are ellipsis "them" or "it"? Did I need to use quotation marks there?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?

*sobs*

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I'm trying to decide whether or not your sentence required a question mark. Or, indeed, my sentence.

Or... do I overuse ellipsis, just because I like them? Are ellipsis "them" or "it"? Did I need to use quotation marks there?

*sobs*

And this is exactly why I became a science major in the first place.

• Like 4

In the early 90's when I finished a levels I looked into teaching.  At that time teaching was   Like a fallback career for anyone that didn't get the grades they wanted.  Add into that the fact that the government was giving all newly qualified teachers £5000 and you had a lot of teachers completely wrong for the job.

i joined the army.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

i joined the army.

With what teachers have to deal with today, they probably wish they had joined, too.  At least they could shoot back.

• Like 3

Having spent some time as a primary school teacher, I can attest to this. Our school had a maths coordinator without a C in GCSE maths, a dyslexic English coordinator and a science coordinator with an art degree. I went there with a degree in earth sciences, A levels in maths, further maths and physics and was given the role as....... history coordinator... We are all, very definitely, doomed.

Basically, the way they run education in this country, the ones who are actually any good at teaching and know their stuff won't stay because they can find much better careers elsewhere. The adage 'those who can't, teach' is disturbingly common among the middle generation of teachers today.

4 hours ago, LV-426 said:

*sobs*

Ellipsis = singluar

Ellipses = plural

:)

And knowing that, of course, has made a massive difference to my life and I'm sure the children being taught it today will save lives armed with this knowledge...

• Like 5

I'm more concerned that someone's first order of business is asking if we should be providing free lunches for the poor kids. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Setton said:

Our school had a maths coordinator without a C in GCSE maths, a dyslexic English coordinator and a science coordinator with an art degree.

Sounds much like the way they appoint cabinet ministers, doesn't it. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Setton said:

a dyslexic English coordinator and a science coordinator with an art degree.

Deers ohh...

• Like 2

On 2/25/2017 at 0:46 PM, Grey Area said:

In the early 90's when I finished a levels I looked into teaching.  At that time teaching was   Like a fallback career for anyone that didn't get the grades they wanted.  Add into that the fact that the government was giving all newly qualified teachers £5000 and you had a lot of teachers completely wrong for the job.

i joined the army.

Here in the states, anyone that has a bachelors in anything qualifies as a substitute teacher.:o

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm more concerned that someone's first order of business is asking if we should be providing free lunches for the poor kids. 

In the United States there's no excuse for any child to having to attend school hungry. This is a very important concern that should most certainly be addressed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EnderOTD said:

Here in the states, anyone that has a bachelors in anything qualifies as a substitute teacher.:o

Sort of, but most schools do attempt to match ones degree with the subject you will be substituting in.

On 2/25/2017 at 7:59 AM, Lilly said:

Depends what one is teaching. I was a science teacher and really never dealt with grammar, spelling and punctuation all that much. However, there is a level of competence that anyone with an advanced education should be able to achieve.

Three cheers for you.  I owe a lot to my science and math teachers for encouragement and good advice about college. . I never got rich, but I have loved being an engineer for the last 40 years.

• Like 1