Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'12th Century' McDonald's set to close

Black Monk

A McDonald's with more than a nugget of history is serving up its last Big Macs this weekend.

The building that has been home to the burger chain in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, for the last 34 years is thought to be the oldest in the world to house a McDonald's, with parts of it dating back to the 1100s.

Yesterday it closed its doors for the last time, as the ancient building isn't suitable for the chain's future plans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4256452/McDonald-s-close-12th-century-medieval-branch.html

• Like 5

Our local McDonald's has burgers and buns dating back to the 12th century.

Some of the staff don't look too fresh either.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

I'm more surprised the local government allowed a fast food chain to buy a building that old.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wickian said:

I'm more surprised the local government allowed a fast food chain to buy a building that old.

I wonder what they are going to use the building for next: a Poundland or a Superdrug or a Boots, judging by the average British High Street.

• Like 1

This was my nearest Mcdonald's! Just hope they use the building now and don't let it fall to pieces, It's a lovely old place, Been in there many times (as a kid when I didn't know better) Should never have been used for a McDonald's in the first place. Also, My son is inconsolable :(

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Black Monk said:

I wonder what they are going to use the building for next: a Poundland or a Superdrug or a Boots, judging by the average British High Street.

Boots is right next door and Superdrug is across the road, Poundland is in the old Woolies in the shopping centre right next door so I guess it's going to be either a second hand shop, Travel agent or estate agent. My moneys on a second hand shop.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Wickian said:

I wonder if it was owned/leased/rented by McDonalds. It's possible that the local authority owns it.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2017 at 7:18 PM, Cat_From_Hell said:

Boots is right next door and Superdrug is across the road, Poundland is in the old Woolies in the shopping centre right next door so I guess it's going to be either a second hand shop, Travel agent or estate agent. My moneys on a second hand shop.

It'll be a Pizza Express.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Wickian said:

If it's not listed, there's not much the council would do. Even if it is, provided they weren't going to change the fabric, it's no issue.