Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Administration Hates States Rights

Farmer77

I woke up the other day to a panicked flurry of emails from the various activist organizations I am involved with. Somewhat predictably the Trump admin has said they'll begin cracking down on marijuana use. : 

The White House said Thursday it expects law enforcement agents to enforce federal marijuana laws when they come into conflict with states where recreational use of the drug is permitted.

"I do believe you will see greater enforcement of it," White House press secretary Sean Spicer said regarding federal drug laws, which still list marijuana as an illegal substance.

White House: Feds will step up marijuana law enforcement

So I guess States' rights are great, until they mess with the oligarch's profits.

"Coincidentally" the headline on USA today the day before  was : Private prisons back Trump and could see big payoffs with new policies 

What a bunch of scumbags. 

• Like 3

Did anyone honestly think they wouldn't do this? It's going to be interesting to see what's going to happen.

Edited by Thanato
  • Like 3

Like I just said in another thread, Trump's lack of tolerance in the area of personal liberty and states rights is what concerns me the most.

• Like 7

I'd like to hear a more clear explanation of this before passing judgment.  "News", lately, hasn't been what it seemed initially.  If they are actually announcing that they are making a priority of going after users in states where the citizens voted to legalize, then I think they are getting side-tracked.  With everything that's going on today, they'd better be pushing full speed to revitalize the economy and start creating lots of jobs.  If significant progress on his promised agenda hasn't materialized by the end of this year he will be in great jeopardy of losing his presidency.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Thanato said:

Did anyone honestly think they wouldn't do this? It's going to be interesting to see what's going to happen.

Nahh Sessions is clearly in the pocket of either big pharm or tobacco or both. 

Jeff Sessions’ Coming War on Legal Marijuana 

Drain the swamp my ass. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, and then said:

I'd like to hear a more clear explanation of this before passing judgment.  "News", lately, hasn't been what it seemed initially.  If they are actually announcing that they are making a priority of going after users in states where the citizens voted to legalize, then I think they are getting side-tracked.  With everything that's going on today, they'd better be pushing full speed to revitalize the economy and start creating lots of jobs.  If significant progress on his promised agenda hasn't materialized by the end of this year he will be in great jeopardy of losing his presidency.

Sadly it might be sabre rattling to keep us distracted while he privatizes prisons and makes more billionaires in that industry. It shouldn't be an industry. This is how the witch hunts went down. Make people pay for the torture devices, the torturers paycheck and meals, the jailers pay and vacation, the woodcutters wood, the cord makers rope, and because one witch was accused their family was out of a house and land while the profiteers do what they do best, make profit off of misery. Not a perfect analogy.

• Like 2

Hmm, sad news for the millions of republicans that smoke weed.  Using a modified gateway stance on marijuana doesn't cut it.  The heroin epidemic is a direct result of the wide use of pain killers. 

• Like 4

Interesting step to make that announcement at this time... After some of the DEA and DOJ action of last year combined with the November elections... Medical has a states lock, and the Parms are on the inside track lock... But the Fed still got time on the recreational. I figured Fed would give their state boys time for some wiggle through the summer and this announcement wasn't going to happen till later this year. With what's on the table in the states the Fed kind of has to address it.. I just didn't think it was going to be quite this quick.

The incredibly cynical and CT part of me also figured this wasn't going to happen till we had ourselves a goodly little border skirmish with a fat drug bust to help boost public support of the Feds.. and then make this announcement.

It is good that the Feds and states seem to finally really be looking at cannabis with different classifications of Rec and MM. And the third sibling has been making progress too, hemp. It is really starting to take off. Over half the states have hemp laws, and several of them have either legalized commercial hemp production or they have pilot or research projects going. An interesting tie in tidbit to the whole Rec and MM side of cannabis. The hemp industry is pressing suit against the DEA for their decision to put cannabis derivatives like CBD oil on the schedule. Why? Because it puts a serious hurt on hemp, a goodly portion of the industry is creating oil.  http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/01/13/hemp-dea-extracts-marijuana-cbd-judicial-review/71387/

• Like 3

Can they afford to make this step all the while they are enforcing immigration?

• Like 2

Cannabis and it's derivatives cut into big pharma profits. Of course they will go after this all they can.

The really worst case scenario is yet to come. They are just biding time until they can make a successful business model for corporatizing cannabis and then it will suddenly be legal nation wide.

It is all about quarterly profits for them now.

Edited by Avatar Samantha Ai
  • Like 2

The last thing that big pharma wants is mj to be legalized

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EnderOTD said:

Can they afford to make this step all the while they are enforcing immigration?

It is not their dime but taxpayer monopoly money they use to invest. Can we afford it? No.

But their companies profit. Who do you think is fueling and providing the fleet for those tinted white ICE busses?  

Planes. Detention centers.

Or building prisons and jails while providing commissary. 

Private contractors. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avatar Samantha Ai said:

Cannabis and it's derivatives cut into big pharma profits. Of course they will go after this all they can.

The really worst case scenario is yet to come. They are just biding time until they can make a successful business model for corporatizing cannabis and then it will suddenly be legal nation wide.

It is all about quarterly profits for them now.

I agree with you but once its legalized big pharma wont be able to profit anymore, we all already know how to prepare mj for any occasion and any topical application.  Look at all of the states that have already legalized recreational use.  Bid pharma isn't running those companies, the intelligent folks that were already involved in mj went mainstream.

• Like 1

i have feeling you all listen to joe rogans podcast lol, you have to, everything here has been mentioned.

1 hour ago, and then said:

Why rely on the news?  The quote is straight from the White House press briefing.  Try to rely more on what is actually coming out of someones mouth, and break it down yourself, and you will get a far more out of it than a news story.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EnderOTD said:

I agree with you but once its legalized big pharma wont be able to profit anymore, we all already know how to prepare mj for any occasion and any topical application.  Look at all of the states that have already legalized recreational use.  Bid pharma isn't running those companies, the intelligent folks that were already involved in mj went mainstream.

Indeed but if they can market water they will market hydro. It is about usage applications, franchises, trademarks and copyrights.

We can make healthy locally sourced meals. But they would rather we get takeout or drive-thru and eat and drink corn syrup.

These things kill more Americans than terrorists. They cost us more than Obamacare ever could.

9 minutes ago, EnderOTD said:

i have feeling you all listen to joe rogans podcast lol, you have to, everything here has been mentioned.

Really? Should I tune in? I liked Fear Factor but unsure about what that is about. Didn't he interview and defend Milo?

Edited by Avatar Samantha Ai

8 minutes ago, EnderOTD said:

The last thing that big pharma wants is mj to be legalized

I disagree. They want it legalized, on their own terms. And they want it bad. They already know there is a whole clientele base out there ready and willing to use, and use in various forms without having to spend one penny on consumer research. With some of the DEA action last year, they got a lock in. A slight change in some scheduling combined with an allowance of more research. Pharms are the only ones "qualified" do really run the medical research tests. So now while MM is legal and gaining popularity, Parms get to get the move on with their research. Pharms want those MM doors to stay open. And some of the DOJ action is the wedge that holds that door open for now. I should note I think tobacco is in on this too, and plays a role.

Now, I think for the future... Once Parms are ready with their formulations, the Feds will finally reschedule. There's a bit of a time race with this, because of what the states have on their tables. Pharms will release- and quite possibly through the already existing MM distribution system. Forcing a lot of regulations on those places as actual pharmacies rather than their current dispensary status. Probably at the same time, start stigmatizing smoking cannabis. And this is where tobacco comes in. Vaping is a thing now, and it seems like there is going to be some crossover between tobacco and medical products here. We are going to see some bedding and battling of the DEA and the ATF. In great part because by this point there will have really been some separation of Rec and MM, and I think Pharms will win MM and ATF will win Rec. I also think that the FDA is going to be getting involved due to the popularity of cannabis edibles- though going back to states rights, cottage industry laws might get some serious workouts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

I disagree. They want it legalized, on their own terms. And they want it bad. They already know there is a whole clientele base out there ready and willing to use, and use in various forms without having to spend one penny on consumer research. With some of the DEA action last year, they got a lock in. A slight change in some scheduling combined with an allowance of more research. Pharms are the only ones "qualified" do really run the medical research tests. So now while MM is legal and gaining popularity, Parms get to get the move on with their research. Pharms want those MM doors to stay open. And some of the DOJ action is the wedge that holds that door open for now. I should note I think tobacco is in on this too, and plays a role.

Now, I think for the future... Once Parms are ready with their formulations, the Feds will finally reschedule. There's a bit of a time race with this, because of what the states have on their tables. Pharms will release- and quite possibly through the already existing MM distribution system. Forcing a lot of regulations on those places as actual pharmacies rather than their current dispensary status. Probably at the same time, start stigmatizing smoking cannabis. And this is where tobacco comes in. Vaping is a thing now, and it seems like there is going to be some crossover between tobacco and medical products here. We are going to see some bedding and battling of the DEA and the ATF. In great part because by this point there will have really been some separation of Rec and MM, and I think Pharms will win MM and ATF will win Rec. I also think that the FDA is going to be getting involved due to the popularity of cannabis edibles- though going back to states rights, cottage industry laws might get some serious workouts.

Indeed. All the angles were covered there. Great post.

• Like 1

Just now, rashore said:

The makers of fentanyl spent 500k in AZ during the last election to keep marijuana illegal so they still have some interest in keeping it so. 

My concern is that oligarchs such as trump will figure they can make more money by diversifying and investing in big pharm AND the prison industrial complex than they would through marijuana alone. 

• Like 2

Trump better not pull out a kill bill for net neutrality. Off topic but sort of related as they want every piece of all the pies.

• Like 1

Well, it has been one of the best ways to target minorities in this country. Of course, he would do this.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The makers of fentanyl spent 500k in AZ during the last election to keep marijuana illegal so they still have some interest in keeping it so. 

My concern is that oligarchs such as trump will figure they can make more money by diversifying and investing in big pharm AND the prison industrial complex than they would through marijuana alone. 

Fentanyl is usually a last resort pain killer, where marijuana will have no effect anyway.  My father-in-law is currently on hospice with stage 4 bone cancer.  He tried marijuana, and it had zero affect.  The only little bit of relief he has is with fentanyl patches.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

They've had at least 80 years to do it, and still to this day they have not done  a damn thing with it.  They already have the opiate market locked down, why would they switch to a  chemical that has no physical addictive properties?  It's easier and cheaper to keep pumping out oxies and poppy based drugs.  They do not want any plants that people can grow themselves and get the same results that their highly processed pills cure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Fentanyl is usually a last resort pain killer, where marijuana will have no effect anyway.  My father-in-law is currently on hospice with stage 4 bone cancer.  He tried marijuana, and it had zero affect.  The only little bit of relief he has is with fentanyl patches.  

That was the first thought i had too when I heard they were donating to combat legalization : 

Fentanyl Maker Donates Big to Campaign Opposing Pot Legalization

Sorry to hear about your father in law. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

Just now, Farmer77 said:

That was the first thought i had too when I heard they were donating to combat legalization : 

Fentanyl Maker Donates Big to Campaign Opposing Pot Legalization

Hey, I'm not questioning the fact they made a donation.  I am 100% pro marijuana, but I see it more as a replacement for percocet and oxy.  I had a doctor actually give me a fentanyl injection when I broke my ankle, and to be completely honest, that was the best I ever felt in my entire life.  I can certainly see how it can cause addiction.

• Like 2