Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Watching Birds is Good for Your Mental Health

Claire.

Watching birds near your home is good for your mental health.

People living in neighbourhoods with more birds, shrubs and trees are less likely to suffer from depression, anxiety and stress, according to research by academics at the University of Exeter, the British Trust for Ornithology and the University of Queensland. The study, involving hundreds of people, found benefits for mental health of being able to see birds, shrubs and trees around the home, whether people lived in urban or more leafy suburban neighbourhoods.

Read more: ScienceDaily

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I can agree with that! ;)

This will give me an excuse to post some bird pics that my wife took through our living room window

Beautiful. You don't have to be specific but in what region do you live? I recognize a woodpecker and a cardinal there...

As for the OP, I have always kept an aquarium in our home, bigger or smaller depending on where we live but always on the main floor. There's something so relaxing about watching life in slow motion while the world around you is moving a million miles an hour.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Beautiful. You don't have to be specific but in what region do you live? I recognize a woodpecker and a cardinal there...

As for the OP, I have always kept an aquarium in our home, bigger or smaller depending on where we live but always on the main floor. There's something so relaxing about watching life in slow motion while the world around you is moving a million miles an hour.

Just a short "flight" (see what I did there?) ;) north of Houston, TX.

Yeah, in order:

Cardinal (Male)

Blue Grosbeak

Tufted Titmouse

Red-bellied Woodpecker

• Like 3

Just to add a couple more.

Black-capped Chickadee

611881950.jpg

White-Breasted Nuthatch

564459339.jpg

• Like 7

Watching neighbourhood birds is good for your health?  Us British men have long known this. (As long as she doesn't catch you).

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 9

What about fish too? I just love aquariums!

• Like 4

Ive always loved tits.  Usually see a few in my garden, but when out and about on walks etc, well, you can see tits everywhere, of all sizes, Great tits are my fave !

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

I always love the tits.  Usually a few in my garden, but when out and about, well, you can see tits everywhere, of all sizes, Great tits are my fave !

:huh::o lol

We gave quail and chickadee here.  When we go outside the chickadee watch us to see if we are bringing them seeds. 

20170208_170159-648x1152.jpg

• Like 7

a pair of Great Tits

Great-tit-pair-Shirley-Clarke-wikipedia-

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

*looks outside. sees endless empty snow*

oh.

Not even a blue tit?

• Like 5

what about the Rough Faced Shag?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Not even a blue tit?

that would be some serious frostbit-

i mean, no, no birds.

• Like 4

I often watch the birds. I put up feeders in the spring and summer. I've taken to throwing the seeds on the deck lately. It really brings in the Dark Eyed Junkos, and a few Black Cap Chickadees, a few Purple Finches, some red eyed Spotted Towhee and the infamous Steller's Jay.

And a little Chipmunk...

Junkos...

Junkos.JPG.c879cd2c3c1df5f5579c23fd2413a189.JPG

58b3a6c939fa5_JayandChip.JPG.7a2c02d9994f490e474799067987c14b.JPG

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4

A real finch upstaging my rainbow parrot figurine !.....

robin_zps68hwospk.jpg

Edited by sees
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

I can agree with that! ;)

This will give me an excuse to post some bird pics that my wife took through our living room window.

Those are incredible photos!

I love birds, and don't need a scientific study to tell me how quickly they can cheer up a person. Their little chirps are the best music in the world.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Those are incredible photos!

I love birds, and don't need a scientific study to tell me how quickly they can cheer up a person. Their little chirps are the best music in the world.

You may enjoy this link then (just click on the bird and it shows a grey bar sound facility to hear their song)

http://reallywildcards.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=76_69_63

Edited by sees
  • Like 3

As a Birdwatcher, I have to agree.  Just being out in nature helps my mental health.

• Like 3