Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bonnie & Clyde Best Picture Ending at Oscars

Raptor Witness

In a scene straight out of Bonnie and Clyde, the 2017 Academy Awards saw Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, steal the Oscar for best picture giving it to the wrong film.

More importantly, they gave the award to the wrong race. Looking at the card the gangsters used to announce the winner, it's impossible to see how a mistake could have been unintentionally made.

• Like 1

I dont normally watch the Oscars but saw the last three awards.

I think it's pretty obvious what happened on the best picture announcement.

The same envolope to announce the previous award, best female actress, was accidentally reused.

Simple but embarrassing mixup.

Beatty in his explaination said what was on the card when he then handed it to Dunaway.

The host, Kimmel, in comedic fashion tried his best to make it appear like he was to blame.

Simple mistake

No conspiracy here.

• Like 2

i really have no idea what you're even trying to say, op.

it was a mistake! they happen. a pretty embarrasing one for everyone involved, but that's it.

It's a conspiracy. Everything always is. Usually involving the Illuminati.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 4

Give him time and Raptor will be able to explain, with diagrams, that he predicted this eight years ago and that it confirms his prophecy that , er, Trump, probably. :unsure: 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Give him time and Raptor will be able to explain, with diagrams, that he predicted this eight years ago and that it confirms his prophecy that , er, Trump, probably. :unsure: 

An invasion by golf playing German bratwurst.

FFS sake they didn't "steal" the Oscar. It was a mistake, a rather mortifying mistake I would assume but a mistake none the less. I also think it was handled with a lot of grace by the La La Land team

• Like 4

7 hours ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

i really have no idea what you're even trying to say, op.

it was a mistake! they happen. a pretty embarrasing one for everyone involved, but that's it.

I don't think the OP literally is claiming theft or assigning blame.

Instead it seems to be a witty pun recalling when Beatty and Dunaway played the robbers in the iconic Bonny and Clyde film.

beatty_dunaway_2000.jpg

Hope that helps.

If you're handed the obvious wrong card,  and it was, you don't announce the wrong award by mistake.

At the very least it was a disaster for Highwood credibility. I doubt I'll watch this train wreck, ever again.

For those too young to remember the movie .... recall that Warren Beatty refused to tell the Bonnie and Clyde story like the screenplay was originally written, as apparently his real life character got screwed so many times in prison that he refused to play the complete role of someone crippled by the trauma of this.

Some of these people in Hollywood are not actors, they're  politicians  pretending to be actors.

Edited by Raptor Witness

I just happened to tune in when best actress was announced and then watched that train wreck. Beatty was handed the wrong envelope, that's it! He was so nervous he could barely even speak.

What he should have done is say "Wait a minute, this is the wrong card!" And Dunaway should have kept out of it. She thought he was dying out there and figure she was helping.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2017 at 9:31 AM, hatecraft said:

I blame Russian hackers. 

Why pick Bonnie and Clyde to announce this best picture,  especially this year,  when Clyde refused to play his complete role of the  theme of the winning film  this year?  For those unfamiliar, the winning film, Moonlight is about a gay man coming-of-age.

The whole thing reeks of a clever metaphor for the election.

It's almost like they turned the Academy Awards into a film of its own, highlighting the theft of our election.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Why pick Bonnie and Clyde to announce this best picture,  especially this year,  when Clyde refused to play his complete role of the  theme of the winning film  this year?  For those unfamiliar, the winning film, Moonlight is about a gay man coming-of-age.

The whole thing reeks of a clever metaphor for the election.

It's almost like they turned the Academy Awards into a film of its own, highlighting the theft of our election.

Sorry, are you trying to construct a theory that Moonlight represents Tr*mp, and La La Land represents the "Democrats"? Sure, a musical set in Los Angelese would be pretty Liberal, it goes without saying, but are you saying a film about a gay man (and not only that, a gay black man) coming-of-age is meant to represent Tr*mp, can you? That's stretching things even for you.  

I don't think it's a conspiracy at all, I think they turned the Academy Awards into a film, highlighting the theft of our election, that's not a conspiracy, that's art.

Who do you believe "stole" the election, then, and from whom? And how do the choices of films to make this symbolic gesture tally with your theory?

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 9:12 AM, Raptor Witness said:

If you're handed the obvious wrong card,  and it was, you don't announce the wrong award by mistake.

At the very least it was a disaster for Highwood credibility. I doubt I'll watch this train wreck, ever again.

For those too young to remember the movie .... recall that Warren Beatty refused to tell the Bonnie and Clyde story like the screenplay was originally written, as apparently his real life character got screwed so many times in prison that he refused to play the complete role of someone crippled by the trauma of this.

Some of these people in Hollywood are not actors, they're  politicians  pretending to be actors.

Wow, you think this was a bigger deal than it was.   It wasn't a disaster by any means.   They fixed it in a short amount of time.  You are letting the news outlets trick you into believing this was huge when it really wasn't.  

My waitress got my lunch order wrong today - Now that was huge!

• Like 2

On 2/26/2017 at 10:27 PM, Raptor Witness said:

In a scene straight out of Bonnie and Clyde, the 2017 Academy Awards saw Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, steal the Oscar for best picture giving it to the wrong film.

More importantly, they gave the award to the wrong race. Looking at the card the gangsters used to announce the winner, it's impossible to see how a mistake could have been unintentionally made.

Are you insinuating they wanted to balance the diversity levels at the Awards?

2 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy at all, I think they turned the Academy Awards into a film, highlighting the theft of our election, that's not a conspiracy, that's art.

So now you think they did this purposely as some kind of artistic protest against Trump?    Let me get this straight,  your premise is that after ripping Trump all evening long, they decided that announcing the wrong movie as picture of the year would be a great way of further ripping Trump?  If that is correct then please answer these questions:

1.  If this is the case then why are the academy and the two actors, Beatty and Dunaway, allowing the entire world to paint them as the most incompetent idiots on earth?  

2.  Why is Price Waterhouse, a multibillion dollar accounting firm whose reputation is paramount to their business model, allowing the world to think of them as a bunch of morons who can't shuffle a few envelopes correctly?  

3.  Why is Warren Beatty still trying to clear his name?  

4.  Why hasn't the academy, in their most sanctimonious voice, told us we are too stupid to see that their real point in doing this was to make a statement about the election? 

5,  Why was Dunaway overheard at an after party saying "I really F##### that up!"    http://fansided.com/2017/02/27/oscars-2017-faye-dunaway-reaction/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 1:10 PM, Merc14 said:

So now you think they did this purposely as some kind of artistic protest against Trump?    Let me get this straight,  your premise is that after ripping Trump all evening long, they decided that announcing the wrong movie as picture of the year would be a great way of further ripping Trump?  If that is correct then please answer these questions:

I thought the OP was being witty. 

My bad! :w00t: 

1.  If this is the case then why are the academy and the two actors, Beatty and Dunaway, allowing the entire world to paint them as the most incompetent idiots on earth?  

Are they being painted that much as incompetent idiots? I thought Beatty did a good job in trying to get others to understand why he behaved the way he did. In fact, going back to that scene, I can see how he reacted the way he did. I just think Dunaway jumped the gun too quickly and didn't see the card, when Beatty handed her it so she can see why the confusion. 

2.  Why is Price Waterhouse, a multibillion dollar accounting firm whose reputation is paramount to their business model, allowing the world to think of them as a bunch of morons who can't shuffle a few envelopes correctly?  

Yeah, good point. Well, and they got to feel the ramifications to that.

3.  Why is Warren Beatty still trying to clear his name?  

Still? Like I said, I think he did a good job explaining the first time. 

4.  Why hasn't the academy, in their most sanctimonious voice, told us we are too stupid to see that their real point in doing this was to make a statement about the election? 

*shrugs* Why didn't they?

5,  Why was Dunaway overheard at an after party saying "I really F##### that up!"    http://fansided.com/2017/02/27/oscars-2017-faye-dunaway-reaction/

Ah, I didn't realize that. What I read from initially, she pretty much made herself scare afterwards. 

15 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I thought the OP was being witty. 

My bad! :w00t: 

No, he truly believes the stuff he posts.  I notice he never answered my questions and has gotten off this wagon to ride on another so...

Are they being painted that much as incompetent idiots? I thought Beatty did a good job in trying to get others to understand why he behaved the way he did. In fact, going back to that scene, I can see how he reacted the way he did. I just think Dunaway jumped the gun too quickly and didn't see the card, when Beatty handed her it so she can see why the confusion. 

This was posted early on, like the next day, and I think they have both been clearly shown as not responsible although if one of them would've taken a second to reread what they had been given then maybe things would've been less "theatrical" but easily said from the safety of my house.

Concur.  Honestly, I enjoyed watching  the entire debacle later on YouTube.

*shrugs* Why didn't they?

Well, in context, because what raptor was suggesting didn't happen

Ah, I didn't realize that. What I read from initially, she pretty much made herself scare afterwards. 

She did but I believe that was heard much later in an after party. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

This was posted early on, like the next day, and I think they have both been clearly shown as not responsible although if one of them would've taken a second to reread what they had been given then maybe things would've been less "theatrical" but easily said from the safety of my house.

I guess that's your perspective when it comes to Beatty. Like I said, my perspective saw him doing the pause when first viewing the card, and then looking at Dunaway ( I guess probably wondering if she reads it too and was confused ) and I think he was assuming she would have come to the same conclusion as he, that something was not right at that moment. I just assumed she thought he was becoming out of it and thought she had to take over, without fully reading what the card said. I'm thinking, if she just looked at why Beatty was a little confused and then see what he was showing here, ( I saw him show her the card so she can see it too and see why he was confused ) instead of thinking that she needed to take over, she would have probably help not make a mistake get bigger. I think Beatty tried. 

Now, the guy from the "La La Land" group who realized what happened and was getting the "Moonlight" people up to get their award, I thought was very classy through out the whole thing. I think I read some where that he joked about being a receiver and then a presenter all in a matter of minutes. :lol: 

I think, if I had read it correctly, the male guy from the accountant firm, was distracted and ended up handing the best actress card to Beatty and Dunaway, and not the best movie one. 

I look at this another way as well. I never realized that they had two cards for each award, and it took this mistake to learn something new. ;)   

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

51 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Concur.  Honestly, I enjoyed watching  the entire debacle later on YouTube.

Oh good, I wasn't the only one. ;)  

I actually saw this on tv, in a hotel room in Virginia, on our way down to Florida. I decided to hit the hay before the best supporting actor, and of course, initially missed it until I caught the news the next morning. That and finding out that Bill Paxton had passed away. :( 

3 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I guess that's your perspective when it comes to Beatty. Like I said, my perspective saw him doing the pause when first viewing the card, and then looking at Dunaway ( I guess probably wondering if she reads it too and was confused ) and I think he was assuming she would have come to the same conclusion as he, that something was not right at that moment. I just assumed she thought he was becoming out of it and thought she had to take over, without fully reading what the card said. I'm thinking, if she just looked at why Beatty was a little confused and then see what he was showing here, ( I saw him show her the card so she can see it too and see why he was confused ) instead of thinking that she needed to take over, she would have probably help not make a mistake get bigger. I think Beatty tried. 

I didn't think Beatty did anything wrong, I thought he handled it well, I was merely throwing logical questions at raptor who, obviously, couldn't answer any of them.  His assertion was that Beatty and Dunaway staged this whole thing as an "artistic protest" of Trump so I asked him those questions at a time when Beatty was obviously very upset and demanding teh academy clear his name.

Now, the guy from the "La La Land" group who realized what happened and was getting the "Moonlight" people up to get their award, I thought was very classy through out the whole thing. I think I read some where that he joked about being a receiver and then a presenter all in a matter of minutes. :lol: 

Agree wholeheartedly.  The man truly saved the night and was the epitome of good sportsmanship, team player and the adult in the room.  

I think, if I had read it correctly, the male guy from the accountant firm, was distracted and ended up handing the best actress card to Beatty and Dunaway, and not the best movie one. 

I look at this another way as well. I never realized that they had two cards for each award, and it took this mistake to learn something new. ;)   

They get it right 99% of the time but to screw it up on the BIGGEST announcement.  Ouch.  I have lived a crazy life and have seen people screw up some truly epic things and have been there myself.  Humility is never an easy thing to learn.

• Like 1