Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tattoo enthusiasts

dagg

I'm with Farmer on sharing such details but here's a closeup crop of the sun the night I got it. It was pretty sick when it was fresh. 

IMG_7511.thumb.PNG.6cf551d0a327c147547ffb84965b1b1e.PNG

• Like 3

Don't take this the wrong way but sometimes certain art inks reminds me of someone I mentioned as a 'walking comic book' back in the day ... he didn't take it too kindly ... I meant no harm, just an honest assessment ... really ... the worse are the walking billboards ... ye gads ...

~

• Like 1

In Vietnam tattoos are almost mandatory for would-be and actual criminals.  Otherwise no one has them, and to get a good job, being free of them is pretty much a job requirement.  An exception might be the little hearts and cupids, and one can read a different message into such a thing.

I have noticed in my lifetime a change in attitude about tattoos in the West, going from a sign of stupidity and criminality to a sign of being "with it" and emulating rock stars.  Neither says much good about the person wearing it.  The geometric tattoos one now sees are sometimes artistic, but one cringes to think what they will look like when the person is old.

I'd wager that most men couldn't care what their tattoos look like when they get old and that most old men would back that up. Men tend to become less self conscious as they age and we've all seen old men that you know don't give a damn just by looking at them.

Women probably have more tattoo regrets than men as vanity is in their nature till the end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I'd wager that most men couldn't care what their tattoos look like when they get old and that most old men would back that up. Men tend to become less self conscious as they age and we've all seen old men that you know don't give a damn just by looking at them.

Women probably have more tattoo regrets than men as vanity is in their nature till the end.

I'm fifty years old. Does that make me old? I don't know. Sometimes I sure feel that way, and a lot of kids I work with at the museum confirm I'm old when I tell them my age. Then again, I hear them say that about their moms, who are something like thirty-four.

Anyway, I have one tattoo and have never regretted getting it. I can't speak for all inked folks but I'd wager very few ever get tattoos just because some rock start has them—although being "with it" is probably true in some cases. My own tattoo was more for spiritual reasons much earlier in my life, and I needn't go into details. But I'd be willing to get another tat or two.

My one regret was getting that tattoo right in the middle of my face. Kidding. It's on my left upper arm. I've heard of guys who get tattoos on their...um...junk, and the mere thought of that makes me cringe.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, F3SS said:

You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you?

Nonjudgmental too...

• Like 3

My grandpa told us to never get tattoos.  He was in WWI and he said no matter how you change your appearance, you could still be identified by your tattoos.  

I never have been tempted to have a tattoo until I had my daughter. I would love to get one with her name or initials, but, due to bring allergic to metals, I have been told by numerous tattoo artists to not get one done because of the metals in the inks.  But, one told me that they have inks without metals, but they fade and have to redone every couple of years.  Now, maybe a possibility....

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

Nonjudgmental too...

I would use the word "sexist."

Regarding another post -- I did not mean to imply that all tattoos are motivated by rock stars -- that was entirely a metaphor on my part and was with millennials in mind.

I don't think having a tattoo form a form of positive identification would be such a bad idea.  I can think of cases (rare but they do occur) where it would be helpful.  The only group I can think of where tattoos would be undesirable in that respect would be the ones who get them most often -- criminal types.  Of course criminality is mostly about a perverted sense of "respect" and this tends to explain them, in spite of good sense.

• Like 1

Funny story about rock star inspired tattoos Frank.

Our youngest son turned 18 and decided to get a couple of tattoos. We told him, to think carefully, not to get them where he couldnt hide them.

Anyway the young idiot comes in with the word Patience tattooed down his neck. Thinking he was quite a rebel. Man we laughed. But not as much as his friends did. It's a perfect copy of Justin Biebers. Three days after getting it, he was looking into laser removal. I did not give birth to rocket scientists.

My husband and I both have tattoos. Mine are hand crafted moments. It (because it's one that just gets added to) is basically my life story. Where I come from. My family heritage. Milestones of importance. It's very special to me. My husband picks his tattoos out of a book and there are some bad choices there.

Think carefully people. And check out your tattooist and their work before getting something permanent.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I can think of cases (rare but they do occur) where it would be helpful.  

Something I happened across by chance when reading up about twins before mine were born was about a case of these parents who had identical twins. Indistinguishably identical. One twin was healthy and one had serious health issues. Dressing them differently and other such things was their way of telling them apart and they needed them know which was which most importantly due to the one who required regular medications. On occasion the parents would mix them up and forget who they dressed in what and things like that which you can imagine was a major stress. One day the grandmother babysat and got them mixed up. She administered medication to the wrong one. It became an matter of life and death for both kids as one needed meds and the other healthy one could die because of them.

Point is that the parents thought to have one kid tattooed. Like a small dot on the bottom of its foot but they were fighting with who knows who (doctors, state? don't recall) about wether they should be allowed to do that as they were out of options. They needed a definitive way to never mix the twins up. I don't know how it ever turned out for them but they were at their wits end. I hope they got it done and now think that identical twins should be tattooed like that at birth. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1