Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Does Religion Sound Like?

Claire.

Listen to the Sounds of Sacred Spaces Around the World

What does religion sound like? That might seem like a weird question—until you remember the sounds of a chant, a church organist or a prayer wheel. Those sounds have a distinctive character and, though they may ring differently in different parts of the world, can be found in every culture with a spiritual or religious practice. Now, reports Maria Thomas for Quartz, you can listen to them online thanks to a new project that’s collecting sacred sounds around the world.

It’s called Sacred Spaces, and being done through Cities and Memory, a global field recording and art project that encourages people to record the sounds around them and submit them to be used in an artistic reinterpretation. Part document, part reinterpretation, the project has already gathered more than 1,400 sounds from 55 countries. Each sound is accompanied by a piece of sonic art that uses the sound, from abstract noise pieces to songs.

Read more: Smithsonian.com

• Like 1

For me, it sounds something like this.                                

• Like 1

Chanting... Mantra... Solfeggio Harmonics... even just simple sustained humming can stimulate the Vagus nerve and affect the mental state.  Stimulating this nerve and the energy pathways associated with it is a foundational and very common practice that crosses the boundaries of pretty much all known/existing traditions, (Buddhist, Taoist, Vedic, Christian/Gnostic, Sufi, Maori, Aboriginal Australian, Native American) all use chanting and sound to induce altered states, affect healing and propel the self into another sphere of experience, in spite of their differences, they all share the aim of pursuing the cultivation of higher states of awareness and reduced influence of emotional inertia along with the quieting of the Monkey Mind and each use sound to great effect.

• Like 1

Vibratory Formula: A method by which divine names and words are intoned forcefully and with authority in a "vibration." Properly performed, the vibration should be felt throughout the entire body and imagined to be vibrated throughout the universe.[2]

http://www.jwmt.org/v1n5/vibratoryform.html

• Like 1

... and , of course , perhaps the oldest music and  'spiritual songs '   you will ever hear ;

• Like 1

I like digeridoos, but here in Western Canada the only people who play them are hipsters and homeless people, unfortunately :angry:

• Like 2

A few years back , we held some large scale  ' pagan ' celebrations ;  

out in nature,  under the stars, wonderful ceremonies and   either  ;

our own music generated  (  one time  we had a harpist and I orated  ' Chorus from Atalanta in Calydon '  * 

or we used this  ( through an outside concealed  sound system ) ; 

*     http://www.bartleby.com/246/765.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Podo said:

I like digeridoos, but here in Western Canada the only people who play them are hipsters and homeless people, unfortunately :angry:

Even the 'modern stuff' played by traditional people I find a little bland .   Once, I heard some very old playing and singing  by some strong 'culture men'  / elders  ... also in the right environs  ( an/d at night  , around a fire  )   .....   WOW  !   .... the effects of that  !    The experience   ( and visions )  were amazing ... and still vivid today ....  about 15 years later !  

HIpsters  .......         arrrrrrggghhhhh   !    

The only ones I listen to are from Bondi   :D