Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Back Pain Linked to Your Risk of Death?

Claire.

An aching back is a major cause of disability, and now, a new study finds that people with back pain may also have an increased risk of dying each year. People in the study ages 70 and older who reported having back or neck pain in the previous month were 13 percent more likely to die each year from any cause, compared with people who didn't have back pain.

The link between back pain and death, however, is not causal, the researchers noted in the study, which was published Feb. 23 in the European Journal of Pain. In other words, a person's back pain was not the cause of death. Rather, back pain and neck pain may be signs of other factors linked to an increased risk of death, such as poor health and poor physical abilities, the researchers wrote. 

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3

I may have to take back your presidential nomination Claire, seeing as you've just put the fear of god into anyone with back pain :o

;)

• Like 5

I don't think back pain is linked to risk of death if that were true half the population would be dead as we speak 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Darkenpath25 said:

I don't think back pain is linked to risk of death if that were true half the population would be dead as we speak 

I have to disagree.  Having back pain can really affect your mobility and the less you are able to move the worse condition you will be in which eventually will contribute to a shortened lifespan.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I have to disagree.  Having back pain can really affect your mobility and the less you are able to move the worse condition you will be in which eventually will contribute to a shortened lifespan.

This. Back pain leads to sitting, sitting (lack of exercise,) leads to disease, disease leads to death.

You want to know the secret of these 90 yr old marathon runners? Don't stop running. The worst thing you can do as you age is to give in to old age and stop moving your body.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Claire. said:

An aching back is a major cause of disability, and now, a new study finds that people with back pain may also have an increased risk of dying each year. People in the study ages 70 and older who reported having back or neck pain in the previous month were 13 percent more likely to die each year from any cause, compared with people who didn't have back pain.

The link between back pain and death, however, is not causal, the researchers noted in the study, which was published Feb. 23 in the European Journal of Pain. In other words, a person's back pain was not the cause of death. Rather, back pain and neck pain may be signs of other factors linked to an increased risk of death, such as poor health and poor physical abilities, the researchers wrote. 

Read more: Live Science

Sooo, when I'll be 70 I'll worry about my back pain. 

By the way, did they also check if those people had headache the month before dying? 

Or hurting joints? 

It looks to me that they just chose to focus on one symptom that fitted with their idea. Of course I could be wrong. 

To me this is absolute B.S because I've had back and neck pain for 19 years now and I'm still breathing.....I Think ...

• Like 2

It probably will lead to death if the reason for the pain is cancer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I may have to take back your presidential nomination Claire, seeing as you've just put the fear of god into anyone with back pain :o

;)

Hey, I'm probably saving lives here... :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darkenpath25 said:

It's not back pain itself, but the fact that it could be a symptomatic of something more serious. It also, as the article mentions, contributes to depression and, as OverSword, mentioned, decreased mobility which, in turn, lead to all kinds of other health issues.

Just now, Claire. said:

It's not back pain itself, but the fact that it could be a symptomatic of something more serious. It also, as the article mentions, contributes to depression and, as OverSword, mentioned, decreased mobility which, in turn, lead to all kinds of other health issues.

Yes depression can bring on serious health issues, 

• Like 1