Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is a new class of painkillers on the horizon?

Claire.

Scientists are chasing a new lead on a class of drugs that may one day fight both pain and opioid addiction. It’s still early days, but researchers report that they’ve discovered a new small molecule that binds selectively to a long-targeted enzyme, halting its role in pain and addiction while not interfering with enzymes critical to healthy cell function. The newly discovered compound isn’t likely to become a medicine any time soon. But it could jumpstart the search for other binders that could do the job.

Read more: Science Magazine

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Claire. said:

Scientists are chasing a new lead on a class of drugs that may one day fight both pain and opioid addiction. It’s still early days, but researchers report that they’ve discovered a new small molecule that binds selectively to a long-targeted enzyme, halting its role in pain and addiction while not interfering with enzymes critical to healthy cell function. The newly discovered compound isn’t likely to become a medicine any time soon. But it could jumpstart the search for other binders that could do the job.

Read more: Science Magazine

I would love to have a good pain killer come out that is not any kind of opioid. I had three back operations in the past dozen years and refuse to take the pain meds anymore. The dependence is horrible, not to mention being treated like a drug addict at the pharmacy. I've also seen it kill and ruin quite a few people over the years. 

I've heard weed helps with pain, but that's not my thing. Plus it would put me out of a job. I'd rather be dead then have to go on disability.

• Like 2