Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neolithic Enclosure Discovered in Denmark

Claire.

Neolithic Enclosure Discovered in Denmark

Archaeologist Pernille Rohde Sloth of the Museum Southeast Denmark told Seeker that a Neolithic enclosure has been found at a construction site near Copenhagen. The oval-shaped palisade, formed with five rows of posts with irregular openings, covered about 60,000 square feet. Pits containing flint flakes, ax fragments, and pieces of pottery, all thought to be about 4,900 years old, have been unearthed in the structure’s interior area. It is not known whether all five rows of the palisade were built at the same time, or how long the structure was in use. “It has been suggested that the fence rows and their openings form a sort of labyrinth,” said Rohde Sloth. Further investigation could reveal whether the enclosure served a ritual purpose, or whether it was a fortification or fenced settlement.

Read more: Archaeology and Seeker

• Like 5

BRING TIME TEAM (UK) BACK!!!

I know it won't be quite the same without Mick, Phil, et al, but at least I will get my fix of archeology!

• Like 2

I'd love to leave my crappy new job (as an order picker in a huge warehouse distributing bathroom items such as baths, toilets, sinks and toilet seats) and become an archaeologist uncovering Iron Age enclosures and hillforts. Much more enjoyable and interesting.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, acute said:

BRING TIME TEAM (UK) BACK!!!

I know it won't be quite the same without Mick, Phil, et al, but at least I will get my fix of archeology!

7 hours ago, Black Monk said:

I'd love to leave my crappy new job (as an order picker in a huge warehouse distributing bathroom items such as baths, toilets, sinks and toilet seats) and become an archaeologist uncovering Iron Age enclosures and hillforts. Much more enjoyable and interesting.

Have either of you looked at volunteering on digs? This isn't exactly my line of work but it's close enough to know they're always desperate for volunteers. Or have a look if there are any archaeological societies in your areas.

ETA: @Black Monk This is a project in your area you might be interested in: http://www.salford.ac.uk/environment-life-sciences/research/applied-archaeology/community-engagement/dig-greater-manchester

Edited by Setton
  • Like 3