Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] Giraffe Cam Tracks Expectant Mother

Claire.

Baby Watch! 'Giraffe Cam' Tracks Expectant Mother

On Feb. 11, a 15-year-old expectant mother began sharing the final stage of her pregnancy with the internet, via a live video feed streaming from her pen at the Animal Adventure Park in Harpursville, New York.

Her name is April, and she is one of the park's two reticulated giraffes (Giraffa camelopardalis reticulate). Since the "Giraffe Cam" first hit YouTube, tens of thousands of viewers have flocked to see the heavily pregnant mom-to-be prepare to give birth. [Giraffe Photos: Earth's Tallest Land Mammals]

This will be April's fourth calf, and the first giraffe calf to be born at the Animal Adventure Park (AAP), representatives said on YouTube.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3

I saw that! ~

Here I go again ... I just might spam this thread with my Giraffe pics. :unsure:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I saw that! ~

Here I go again ... I just might spam this thread with my Giraffe pics. :unsure:

Post your giraffe pics!

This is going to be another nail biter. Apparently the little one has to deal with a six foot drop when it comes out.

• Like 2

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo near Colorado Springs is known for 2 things, the highest elevation zoo in the country and their Giraffes!

This is the first thing you see when entering.

33019623712_651778da4e_b.jpg

They mooch special food that you can buy to feed them.

33176196305_47abafbe3a_b.jpg

More of my zoo friends

33019759732_9abe5f0454_b.jpg

32360929943_e8f204a24f_b.jpg

The above photos were taken without the hindrance of pens or fences, you could walk right up to them. This peacock walks the paths with us humans.

32331103064_d223c12e0d_b.jpg 

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 4

Here's a follow-up article from Live Science:

What to Expect When Your Giraffe Is Expecting

April the very pregnant giraffe — and recent internet sensation — is preparing for her calf to arrive at Animal Adventure Park (AAP) in Harpursville, New York, and millions of viewers are tuning in to the park's live video feed to follow along.

Giraffes carry their young for 15 months, and April's caregivers initially estimated her birth range to be anywhere from mid-January to mid-February, based on observations of breeding behavior with her mate in mid-October, Jordan Patch, owner of AAP, told Live Science.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Pregnant Giraffe Keeps Anxious Viewers Waiting

Millions of internet viewers are tensely following the video feed featuring a pregnant giraffe named April. And more than one month after the animal's distended belly took the internet by storm, the baby giraffe that is so greatly anticipated has yet to emerge.

April appears unconcerned about still being pregnant. Though her belly hangs lower than ever and her baby's kicks are vigorous and visible, the mother giraffe appears none the worse for wear, placidly going about her daily routine under the camera's unblinking eye, in her pen at Animal Adventure Park (AAP) in Harpursville, New York.

• Like 2

On February 28, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Claire. said:

Post your giraffe pics!

This is going to be another nail biter. Apparently the little one has to deal with a six foot drop when it comes out.

Re: "six foot drop" -

serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft1.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcRyanxbkcXo5yreQGTLG-Xc-ZnKJ2pB2Uhvsn6YDL_AEw_WTbUz&sp=8ec6d249e1421a1718502149c834cabe&anticache=963833

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to [Updated] Giraffe Cam Tracks Expectant Mother
1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

April has given birth!

Animal Adventure Park Giraffe Cam -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClnQCgFa9lCBL-KXZMOoO9Q/live

Awesome! My wife has been following this constantly and April sure took her time! ;)

She tuned in just in time to see the birth live. :)

Healthy baby!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Awesome! My wife has been following this constantly and April sure took her time! ;)

Healthy baby!

I read somewhere that people were saying the pregnancy was a hoax because of the length of time April was taking to give birth, silly people! 

Several hours has passed since I saw what was happening, I can see the calf is standing now and getting on fine. He/she keeps going over to where dad is and dad is pacing about in his pen looking anxious. I bet he'd love to join them in there. Mum is looking settled after all her hard work, it's all good and the calf is adorable :wub:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Still Waters said:

April has given birth!

Animal Adventure Park Giraffe Cam -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClnQCgFa9lCBL-KXZMOoO9Q/live

That was quite a drop for April's calf.

12 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Healthy baby!

B)

Claire could hardly wait. Away for a few days, she's presumably having a great time.

Happy Easter.

• Like 3

On 2017-04-16 at 0:38 AM, aka CAT said:

Claire could hardly wait. Away for a few days, she's presumably having a great time.

Happy Easter.

I was really excited about this initially, but found it extremely difficult to watch April pacing about in a confined space, so I checked in only occasionally. I've been following the SWFL eagles and the adventures of the little eaglet E9. it's been really educational (and emotional). There's nothing like seeing animals in their natural habitat  — watching them outside of that is heartbreaking, no matter how well taken care of they are

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Claire. said:

I was really excited about this initially, but found it extremely difficult to watch April pacing about in a confined space, so I checked in only occasionally. I've been following the SWFL eagles and the adventures of the little eaglet E9. it's been really educational (and emotional). There's nothing like seeing animals in their natural habitat  — watching them outside of that is heartbreaking, no matter how well taken care of they are

Captivity is unappealing and the pacing was unsettling.  

Previously, I similarly observed an eagle's nest.  Most memorable was how the chicks expelled their bodily waste over edge in favor of a kempt nest.  

• Like 2

On 2017-04-22 at 2:42 AM, aka CAT said:

Captivity is unappealing and the pacing was unsettling.  

Previously, I similarly observed an eagle's nest.  Most memorable was how the chicks expelled their bodily waste over edge in favor of a kempt nest.  

Love the way they wiggle their little butts and aim them to the sky. They imprint very quickly watching how their parents do it.

But whilst their nests may be free of bodily waste, they are still really gross to look at. Filled with bugs and wormy things, not to mention stinky leftovers.