Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Hat Man

AppleShampoo23

Spoiler

Spoiler

When I was about 3 I started seeing this entity that I now know is called the Hat Man. It started after my family and I moved from Memphis Tn to a smaller town about 5 hours outside of Memphis called Chattanooga tn. We moved into this small house on this quiet street and I started seeing him almost immediately. He was about 8-9 feet tall, completely jet black from head to toe but you could see his outline which seemed to portray a long trenchcoat and a smaller top hat, not a bowler. I could also sense that he had on a 3 piece suit somehow. He never had eyes although I've read online that people have reported white yellow and red with him if he has visible eyes at all. I could only see him out of the corner of my eye and as soon as I looked he was gone but it was one of those things where I knew with absolute certainty that I had seen it. It was frequent sightings immediately, I started seeing him everywhere at the grocery store with my mom, in my room, at my friends houses, driving in the car it was absolutely terrifying and went on for 10 years exactly. I remember one night in particular when I was about 7 I had been sitting in my moms room on her bed using this board I used to sit and do homework on. I was finishing up some project on Alaska or something along those lines and I got up to go and put the board where I always kept it behind my armour. The only light on in my room was the TV which was turned all the way down I remember seeing him standing there out of the corner of my eye and hoping for just a second said "mom?!" when I looked I SAW him DIRECTLY for 2 seconds before he darted underneath my bed. I remember jumping on my bed and screaming. It was a year later that it became more than just visual it was around this time I was CERTAIN without a doubt that this thing was REAL. It started with a feeling of fingers being lightly run through my hair or hair being lifted and dropped on my head then it started becoming aggressive, pulling my hair so hard that it made my head jerk back and i would scream because it hurt so bad my scalp would throb afterwards. Then I started having instances of things FLYING across the room at me once I had lost my television remote and tore my bed apart looking for it only to have remade my bed and sat down in confusion and had it DROP FROM THE FREAKING AIR in front of me. Once I was lying in bed when I was 9 in the summer with my friend Taylor who was spending the night and I was telling her about him when a brush that was IN MY BATHOOM IN A BASKET landed in between us!!! What makes this even MORE INSANE and even MORE IMPOSSIBLE was that NOT ONLY was my brush IN THE BATHROOM but the bathroom door was CLOSED AND THERE WAS A CANOPY SURROUNDING MY BED THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY WITHOUT MAKING THE CANOPY MOVE THAT COULD'VE HAPPENED!!!! Some mornings I would wake up with scratches down my arms. These things continued until I was 13 when I came actually face to face with him like I never had before. I was getting ready to walk down the steps to get something to eat from my room and when I went to start down the steps he was there at the end of the steps staring at me this time it was menacing this time I was DONE and I was TERRIFIED so I started crying and I screamed at the top of my lungs GO AWAY and he disappeared. After that I didn't see him for days and thought it was over for sure. I was wrong. The last time I ever saw him he was leaned up against the doorway to the 3rd floor of my parents house and once again he let me look directly at him this time I was within half a foot of him I just remember running as fast as I could into my sisters room and I never saw him again. 

Has anyone else had an experience with The Hat Man and if so PLEASE share your story below I would love to hear other people's experiences with this being I still 10 years later am seeking answers EVERYDAY and have slight PTSD because of this entity. Please share your encounters!!!! 

also please check out my Paranormal Blog!!!! 

*Snip*

Thanks!!! 

-Gracie 

Edited by Still Waters
Link removed

I have not had this experience. You are not alone in reporting a hat man and definitely many report Shadow People. Your story has strange physical events too. I tend to think something is going on and know the skeptics will scoff at me for saying that. I am beginning to think we understand just a small percentage of the universe. Here's some theories: Shadow People

Here's my best guess from the article

DEMONS OR OTHER SPIRIT ENTITIES

The dark countenance and malevolent feelings that are often reported in association with these creatures has led some researchers to speculate that they may be demonic in nature. If they are demons, we have to wonder what their purpose or intent is in letting themselves be seen in this manner. Is it merely to frighten?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I have not had this experience. You are not alone in reporting a hat man and definitely many report Shadow People. Your story has strange physical events too. I tend to think something is going on and know the skeptics will scoff at me for saying that. I am beginning to think we understand just a small percentage of the universe. Here's some theories: Shadow People

Here's my best guess from the article

DEMONS OR OTHER SPIRIT ENTITIES

The dark countenance and malevolent feelings that are often reported in association with these creatures has led some researchers to speculate that they may be demonic in nature. If they are demons, we have to wonder what their purpose or intent is in letting themselves be seen in this manner. Is it merely to frighten?

According to a paranormal researcher and the girl who actually gave the hat man his title, Heidi Hollis, he is somehow associated with Aliens??? I haven't yet read her book about the hat man yet but I was on her radio show earlier last year trying to get some answers. Also thanks for the theories I'm going to check them out! It's absolutely an odd phenomena and nothing I will ever be able to explain rationally lol I have a 2 year old daughter and I am absolutely mortified that she might start seeing him also because I had a startling dream when I was pregnant with her where I was holding her and she was staring at me and talking like she had been talking for 50 years and then she suddently stopped and looked at me in the dream and said "Do you know the Hat Man??" I woke up in a cold sweat lol. 

-Gracie 

2 minutes ago, AppleShampoo23 said:

According to a paranormal researcher and the girl who actually gave the hat man his title, Heidi Hollis, he is somehow associated with Aliens??? I haven't yet read her book about the hat man yet but I was on her radio show earlier last year trying to get some answers. Also thanks for the theories I'm going to check them out! It's absolutely an odd phenomena and nothing I will ever be able to explain rationally lol I have a 2 year old daughter and I am absolutely mortified that she might start seeing him also because I had a startling dream when I was pregnant with her where I was holding her and she was staring at me and talking like she had been talking for 50 years and then she suddently stopped and looked at me in the dream and said "Do you know the Hat Man??" I woke up in a cold sweat lol. 

-Gracie 

I found another interesting article....Shadow People

• Like 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I found another interesting article....Shadow People

Heck yes checking this out now! Thanks! 

On 3/1/2017 at 5:20 AM, AppleShampoo23 said:
  Hide contents

Hide contents

When I was about 3 I started seeing this entity that I now know is called the Hat Man. It started after my family and I moved from Memphis Tn to a smaller town about 5 hours outside of Memphis called Chattanooga tn. We moved into this small house on this quiet street and I started seeing him almost immediately. He was about 8-9 feet tall, completely jet black from head to toe but you could see his outline which seemed to portray a long trenchcoat and a smaller top hat, not a bowler. I could also sense that he had on a 3 piece suit somehow. He never had eyes although I've read online that people have reported white yellow and red with him if he has visible eyes at all. I could only see him out of the corner of my eye and as soon as I looked he was gone but it was one of those things where I knew with absolute certainty that I had seen it. It was frequent sightings immediately, I started seeing him everywhere at the grocery store with my mom, in my room, at my friends houses, driving in the car it was absolutely terrifying and went on for 10 years exactly. I remember one night in particular when I was about 7 I had been sitting in my moms room on her bed using this board I used to sit and do homework on. I was finishing up some project on Alaska or something along those lines and I got up to go and put the board where I always kept it behind my armour. The only light on in my room was the TV which was turned all the way down I remember seeing him standing there out of the corner of my eye and hoping for just a second said "mom?!" when I looked I SAW him DIRECTLY for 2 seconds before he darted underneath my bed. I remember jumping on my bed and screaming. It was a year later that it became more than just visual it was around this time I was CERTAIN without a doubt that this thing was REAL. It started with a feeling of fingers being lightly run through my hair or hair being lifted and dropped on my head then it started becoming aggressive, pulling my hair so hard that it made my head jerk back and i would scream because it hurt so bad my scalp would throb afterwards. Then I started having instances of things FLYING across the room at me once I had lost my television remote and tore my bed apart looking for it only to have remade my bed and sat down in confusion and had it DROP FROM THE FREAKING AIR in front of me. Once I was lying in bed when I was 9 in the summer with my friend Taylor who was spending the night and I was telling her about him when a brush that was IN MY BATHOOM IN A BASKET landed in between us!!! What makes this even MORE INSANE and even MORE IMPOSSIBLE was that NOT ONLY was my brush IN THE BATHROOM but the bathroom door was CLOSED AND THERE WAS A CANOPY SURROUNDING MY BED THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY WITHOUT MAKING THE CANOPY MOVE THAT COULD'VE HAPPENED!!!! Some mornings I would wake up with scratches down my arms. These things continued until I was 13 when I came actually face to face with him like I never had before. I was getting ready to walk down the steps to get something to eat from my room and when I went to start down the steps he was there at the end of the steps staring at me this time it was menacing this time I was DONE and I was TERRIFIED so I started crying and I screamed at the top of my lungs GO AWAY and he disappeared. After that I didn't see him for days and thought it was over for sure. I was wrong. The last time I ever saw him he was leaned up against the doorway to the 3rd floor of my parents house and once again he let me look directly at him this time I was within half a foot of him I just remember running as fast as I could into my sisters room and I never saw him again. 

Has anyone else had an experience with The Hat Man and if so PLEASE share your story below I would love to hear other people's experiences with this being I still 10 years later am seeking answers EVERYDAY and have slight PTSD because of this entity. Please share your encounters!!!! 

also please check out my Paranormal Blog!!!! 

*Snip*

Thanks!!! 

-Gracie 

There is a massive thread regarding the hat man/shadow people on here which details a ton of member sightings. 

Edited by Still Waters
Link removed from quoted post

28 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

There is a massive thread regarding the hat man/shadow people on here which details a ton of member sightings. 

Awesome thank you!!!

-Gracie

• Like 1