Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exactly what color are these strawberries ?

UM-Bot

They look brown/grey to me. No red there.

• Like 4

Tell us more on what you want us to think, like a square is actually a circle... it's just an optical illusion.

Weird they were grey when I first opened the link but the more I looked at them they became reddish

• Like 1

To me they look no different than if i added a green/blue filter over a colour image. Didnt have to adjust my vision at all.

They look brown to me. I don't see any red. :unsure:

• Like 2

They look darker in the first picture than they do in the second. Both in shades of brown, a bit like the colour of mud.

• Like 1

Opened the picture in photoshop and took a look at some of the rgb color codes, and a lot of the "gray" pixels have a slight reddish tint. So no wonder people see them as "red".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, silentsinger said:

Opened the picture in photoshop and took a look at some of the rgb color codes, and a lot of the "gray" pixels have a slight reddish tint. So no wonder people see them as "red".

Well the color codes might do that because they are reproductions and not the original photo.  Lots of experiments demonstrate that the colors we experience (think we see) are invented in our heads and are not intrinsic to nature -- all it knows are different wavelengths being reflected by the objects we are looking at.  The mind uses all sorts of environmental clues to determine what color to report, and sometimes it gets it wrong.

The same thing applies to all sensations -- sounds, touch sensations, pain, nausea, hunger, even the need to pee.

• Like 1

Let me add to that that this doesn't mean the phenomena behind these sensations aren't real -- they exist -- what we experience are "illusions," not delusions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Merton said:

Lots of experiments demonstrate that the colors we experience (think we see) are invented in our heads and are not intrinsic to nature -- all it knows are different wavelengths being reflected by the objects we are looking at.  The mind uses all sorts of environmental clues to determine what color to report, and sometimes it gets it wrong.

You reckon that explanation would work in court as an excuse for jumping a red traffic light?  :)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

I'm super glad I was told which colour I should be seeing. This makes for great journalism and a really impartial story. Great work.

Surely this is inspired by the great "so-called" debate over this dress on social media? Do you see Black and Blue or White and Gold etc.....

dress-collage.jpg

No optical illusion here.  Just science fact.  A blue filer will only let blue light through it. You can do an experiment using a prism and a projector.  You split the light from the projector using the prism then put the colored filters either between the light and prism or in front of the prism and see what happens.  The filters need to be fairly dark but still transparent, typical of what you get in the stained glass kits.  I do a talk on this at our Color Schools we run for our customers.  I'd post it but it's too large.  If anyone's interested I can pdf it and email it to you.

• Like 2

Grey, the strawberries look grey and everything else looks blue. There is definitely 'red' pixels but that is likely down to the quality loss due to the copying of the image.

It's the normal white balance adaptation of the human eye. The brain interpolates all the colours it sees to "calculate" the colour of the light (neutral grey), all the other colours are then "calculated" by difference from that average colour. That psychologist probably knows too little about neurophysiology.

C5ts165VAAAGaD_wb.jpg

This is how Gimp "fixes" the white balance using the same basic principle as our brains. The sunlight constantly changes its tint, but all the primates must be sure about colours, for example, to differentiate a ripe fruit from green or, say, blushed cheeks from pale, that's why the brain needs that mechanism of adaptation.

Edited by Chaldon

Reminds me of this little experiment ...

~

[00.01:24]

~

Spoiler

An example of the red spade experiment conducted by Bruner and Postman.

On the Perception of Incongruity: A Paradigm

Jerome S. Bruner and Leo Postman (1949)
Harvard University

First published in Journal of Personality, 18, 206-223.

• psyclassics yorku ca link

~

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 5:54 PM, Farmer77 said:

Weird they were grey when I first opened the link but the more I looked at them they became reddish

Well, that's the power of your mind!

Next: how to bend a teaspoon.

Last step: how to make goats explode!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Parsec said:

Last step: how to make goats explode!

How about lamb? Ive been craving a gyro :yes:

• Like 1