Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

LHC 'heart transplant' is first major upgrade

Still Waters

One of the Large Hadron Collider's huge experiments has been given what's described as a "heart transplant".

Officials said the replacement of a key component inside the CMS experiment represented the first major upgrade to the LHC - the world's biggest machine.

Engineers have been carefully installing the new "pixel tracker" in CMS in a complex and delicate procedure on Thursday 100m underground.

It should boost the hunt for signs of new physics phenomena.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39129598

• Like 1

I often wonder if there is a limit to the number of sub-atomic particles, it often seems that as soon as the smallest sub-atomic particle is discovered, that someone will come along and smash that particle and discover that actually it's made of a handfull of really really small faster moving more energetic particles.

Well a bird and a weasel tried to shut the Hadron Collider down. Can`t they get the hint we might be on the verge of destroying our selves :)

That just means the security is lax.  CERN is looking for small particles but forgot to protect themselves from small critters.

:clap:  HOTDOG! Fire it up!!   

so what breakthroughs actually helped mankind from this machine so far besides wasting billions of dollars?

42 minutes ago, geraldnewfie said:

so what breakthroughs actually helped mankind from this machine so far besides wasting billions of dollars?

Uhm, the verification of the existence of the Higgs boson. And possibly the discovery of new physics?

Maybe you should educate yourself a little bit. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

On Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 5:21 AM, geraldnewfie said:

Nothing much

On 3/6/2017 at 9:06 PM, badeskov said:

Uhm, the verification of the existence of the Higgs boson. And possibly the discovery of new physics?

Maybe you should educate yourself a little bit. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

actually i did educate myself, i read about LHC when it first started construction, the question i asked is what did it do to help mankind so far? finding higgs didnt help us, just wasted money, yes it may have prove that where the universe came from, but yet religion still roams the earth corrupting everyone. I can see if they spent millions on something useful not some garbage that got no use for yet. if they did something useful im sure it would take generations before the public got hands on it. 

11 minutes ago, geraldnewfie said:

actually i did educate myself, i read about LHC when it first started construction, the question i asked is what did it do to help mankind so far? finding higgs didnt help us, just wasted money, yes it may have prove that where the universe came from, but yet religion still roams the earth corrupting everyone. I can see if they spent millions on something useful not some garbage that got no use for yet. if they did something useful im sure it would take generations before the public got hands on it. 

Quantum theory was pretty useless to the average person, but it lead to computers. 

You really can't force research, confirming the standard model will have knock on effects down the line. 

Most of the technology we take for granted comes from discoveries that initially showed no purpose.

4 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

I am a scientist and I support the LHC. But I agree that asking ``is it worth the cost'' is an appropriate question (again, my answer is ``yes'').

But I am curious: What would you rather spend the money on? (Not trying to make a personal attack or anything, just interested where your sympathies lie.)

5 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

actually i did educate myself, i read about LHC when it first started construction, the question i asked is what did it do to help mankind so far? finding higgs didnt help us, just wasted money, yes it may have prove that where the universe came from,

By all means of respect, but you apparently did not educate yourself. The verification of the existence of the Higgs boson was a huge milestone, many more to come I am sure. 

but yet religion still roams the earth corrupting everyone.

Utter BS. Please do keep religious nonsense out of this. It has no place here. 

I can see if they spent millions on something useful not some garbage that got no use for yet. if they did something useful im sure it would take generations before the public got hands on it. 

Please give the device back that you are writing these posts on. They were based on science like this. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

5 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

I can see if they spent millions on something useful not some garbage that got no use for yet. 

It comes as a surprise to many people but CERN is a European research organisation. So if you are not from a European country you really don't need to worry about how the money is pent, as you have contributed no money anyway. (Unless you are from Israel which is the only non-European member of CERN.)

• Like 1

http://www.colinandrews.net/AustraliaRadar2010-0430.html

When there are so many anomalies going on it the world, one wonders:) is the Hadron Collider's creating a black hole?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080627175348.htm

but could they ? http://www.colinandrews.net/Cloud-Radar-Circle-Australia-2010-0122.html

Edited by docyabut2