Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas bill to tackle sanctuary city officials

F3SS

AUSTIN — Texas governmental agencies that refuse to enforce federal immigration laws would lose millions in state grant funds and face thousands in fines under a bill the Texas Senate approved on a preliminary vote Tuesday.

If the bill becomes law, officials who promote so-called sanctuary policies could face jail time. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2017/02/07/texas-senate-approves-measure-cut-funds-sanctuary-cities

Hopefully a sign of things to come. Sanctuary cities are an insult to the rule of law and victims of illegal migrant crimes.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Hopefully a sign of things to come. Sanctuary cities are an insult to the rule of law and victims of illegal migrant crimes.

Absolutely! I have been following our Governor Abbott's stance on this issue, and I like it. :tu:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 7:00 PM, F3SS said:

On 3/2/2017 at 7:06 PM, .ZZ. said:

Absolutely! I have been following our Governor Abbott's stance on this issue, and I like it. :tu:

IDK based on this I think Seattle has a pretty good case to say that trump's executive order on  sanctuary cities is illegal : Seattle sues Trump administration over ‘sanctuary city’ threat it calls ‘unconstitutional’ 

Under the anti-commandeering doctrine of the Tenth Amendment, Seattle claims the federal government cannot force local governments to act against their will.

In the lawsuit, the Emerald City cites a 1997 case, Printz v. United States, where the US Supreme Court ruled that the “Federal Government may neither issue directives requiring the States to address particular problems, nor command the States’ officers, or those of their political subdivisions, to administer or enforce a federal regulatory program.

On its face and as applied, the Executive Order does just that,” the city argues.

At the news briefing, Murray also claimed that the executive order violates the Constitution’s Spending Clause, saying the federal government “may not coerce local governments by denying them federal dollars if they are not to remain to the program in question. Yet that is exactly what the president’s order does.

Edited by Farmer77

it is a two way street, if feds can't force them to do things against their will, neither can states.   feds are not willing to give grants, than states can not make them

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

IDK based on this I think Seattle has a pretty good case to say that trump's executive order on  sanctuary cities is illegal : Seattle sues Trump administration over ‘sanctuary city’ threat it calls ‘unconstitutional’ 

Under the anti-commandeering doctrine of the Tenth Amendment, Seattle claims the federal government cannot force local governments to act against their will.

In the lawsuit, the Emerald City cites a 1997 case, Printz v. United States, where the US Supreme Court ruled that the “Federal Government may neither issue directives requiring the States to address particular problems, nor command the States’ officers, or those of their political subdivisions, to administer or enforce a federal regulatory program.

On its face and as applied, the Executive Order does just that,” the city argues.

At the news briefing, Murray also claimed that the executive order violates the Constitution’s Spending Clause, saying the federal government “may not coerce local governments by denying them federal dollars if they are not to remain to the program in question. Yet that is exactly what the president’s order does.

Wow, wish the states would refuse to follow the education program forced on us by the federal government, and not be held financially accountable. Ya know important things. 

Never mind. rapists and murderers should be the priority here, of course. SMH

• Like 2