Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First hand accounts of skinwalker/dogmen

gamubi

It's odd, I leave this forum for years at a time and whenever I return there is always a skinwalker/dogman/werewolf thread somewhere near the top when I do visit. 

The most famous experience of the dogmen is that of Bray Road up in Michigan in the '80s but luckily or unluckily I have never had any personal experience.

• Like 1

You can't take Coast to Coast too seriously. Anyone could call in and say whatever they like, with zero evidence.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Totah Dine thank you for your story, that was very interesting (and scary, to be honest). Can you tell me why wearing owl feathers is considered taboo in your culture?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2017 at 8:41 AM, dani10 said:

Totah Dine thank you for your story, that was very interesting (and scary, to be honest). Can you tell me why wearing owl feathers is considered taboo in your culture?

There are several animals that are taboo like the owl.  It's a creature of the night and we Navajo have a lot to fear from the night.  ch'įįdii inhabit the night and they are terrifying.  In our traditions when a person dies it's customary to not show grief or mention the dead person's name over the next four days.  Four is sacred in most First Nation traditions.  To do so can cause the spirit to linger and not cross over.  The spirit will then become resentful and eventually become an evil spirit.  Just to be on the safe side we don't mention the name of a person who died ever again.  We use a title or honorific.  Plus we get rid of all their belongings.  Anything that can tie the deceased to their previous home.  If they die in the house we break out the north wall and the house is abandoned.  It is considered a ghost house from then on.  We don't screw around when it comes to evil spirits/ghosts/demons whatever you want to call them.  

The evil spirits run around creating all kinds of trouble and can make you sick or cause you to lose hozhó.  We traditionally treat ghost sickness or corpse sickness with an intricate ceremony.  It's serious business.  

So back to the owl.  Skinwalkers have their own traditions and they try to undo anything that follows the Beauty Way.  They use the owl feathers to take on their attributes like seeing at night, move without sound and (some people say) fly.  Owl feathers are a sure sign that you're a Skinwalker.  

Edited by Totah Dine
  • Like 6

Fun stuff.   Thanks for sharing everyone.

Very interesting Totah Dine, thank you so much for sharing your stories!

• Like 1