Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mandela Effect EXPOSED

darkbreed

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

@MstrMsnsuggests it is cataclysmic if alternative universes collide in post #945. In #320 I raise the idea that matter/energy being destroyed in this universe is a pretty big hurdle for the OP model of time travel to overcome.

Fiona Broome quantify the Mandela Effect beyond asserting many people joined a conversation that started in the Green Room at Dragon Con many years ago.

In the chapter False Memory 101 - in his book Curious and Curiouser - Karl Kruzelnicki introduces us to the work of Professor Elezabeth Loftus.  We are told that Loftus has "spent over 30 years studying the fallibility of memory in some 200 studies involving over 20,000 people."  Kruzelnicki demonstrates the ease of constructing a false memory by describing a study where Loftus was able to convince a quarter of the participants they shook hands with Bugs Bunny at Disneyland.

Professor Loftus isn't Robinsoe Crusoe on this subject Dr Ullrich Ecker is also reported stating "it was quite easy to give people false memories."

For the purposes of this topic it reasonable to say that "fallibility of memory" - what Loftus describes as the "Misinformation Effect" - is well understood. The Mandela Effect being a rather specific example of the Misinformation Effect is a good working theory.

Thanks. Your post is intensive. I have no problem in accepting the studies of academics and scientists. Thing is that I try to apply that to me and it fails. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, back to earth said:

Thing is, we sorta had of it sorted and really had no more to say .... but that 'resolve' and a heap of posts have been removed . 

^_^

Kinda of a 'fringe reset' by mod. Well enjoy going over it all again...and when you arrive at exactly the same conclusion pick someone else to make the same lame statement and start all over again..........

9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

...whats wrong with exploring other theories? Isn't that what this whole threads about... besides, like I already stated, I thought Mandela was dead in the eighties. Does that make me crazy? Don't answer :)

Thinking Mandela died in the 80s doesn't make you crazy (I don't know what does, as I'm not a psychologist, but that doesn't :D )

Exploring other theories isn't a bad thing, but connecting other theories with TME... that's a different story.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Social justice like you know was permeating through music and everything else in the eighties but how much would a 13 year old really care about it. Stuck in my mind and was shocked to learn he was alive. 

I am curious as to why the death of a South African who had been in prison since long before you were born, should so stick in the mind of a 13 year old Australian? 

I wonder if in reality you are simply confusing a vague memory of the Mandela Day concert in 1988 with the more recent (made up) story that he somehow died at some undefined date whilst in prison in the 1980s?  ie you read that some think he died in prison in the 80s, and have a slight recollection of hearing something about him from the 80s (the concert), and (unconsciously) merge the two into an "invented" false memory?

• Like 2

Subconsciously, not unconsciously ..... 

(Or is there a reason I subsconsciously wrote unconsciously?  :o  )

• Like 1

Had to comment: This is the oddest thread...this should of naturally ended pages ago instead of continuous back and forth either due to purposeful trolling or unintentional misunderstanding.  Unfortunately this very comment is extending the thread.  Sorry.

Back to the 'Let's talk history' thread...

MDagger

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MDagger said:

Had to comment: This is the oddest thread...this should of naturally ended pages ago instead of continuous back and forth either due to purposeful trolling or unintentional misunderstanding.  Unfortunately this very comment is extending the thread.  Sorry.

Back to the 'Let's talk history' thread...

MDagger

As you are the last person to post here it is now your fault that this silly thing is going on.....................oh wait, dang

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Essan said:

I am curious as to why the death of a South African who had been in prison since long before you were born, should so stick in the mind of a 13 year old Australian? 

I wonder if in reality you are simply confusing a vague memory of the Mandela Day concert in 1988 with the more recent (made up) story that he somehow died at some undefined date whilst in prison in the 1980s?  ie you read that some think he died in prison in the 80s, and have a slight recollection of hearing something about him from the 80s (the concert), and (unconsciously) merge the two into an "invented" false memory?

Yeah, the point is that so many others also thought the same. What are the chances of that? 

I remember Mandela's release, watched it live, and thought at the time you'd think the man was being either crowned or buried. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

Yeah, the point is that so many others also thought the same. What are the chances of that? 

Please provide evidence that this was more than a few people.

4 hours ago, Hanslune said:

As you are the last person to post here it is now your fault that this silly thing is going on.....................oh wait, dang

HA HAR !      A new game for the  games forum 

not 'last person to post in this thread wins ' but

last person to post in this thread is a loser !   :D 

Bye bye folks  ( I off to  that  questions about history thread too }

and dont you guys dare stop posting now !  

:angry:

• Like 2

This "Let's talk history" thread sounds interesting. I should really check it out.

For the heck of it last weekend I asked numerous museum friends about the Nelson Mandela thing and not a single one remembered anything about him dying. That includes me. I have no such memory,

But I'm not doubting a few people have that memory for some reason. Memory is a fickle and unreliable thing. Does that mean quantum mechanics are at play? No, of course not. Let's stick with the obvious solution: memory is a fickle and unreliable thing.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

This "Let's talk history" thread sounds interesting. I should really check it out.

For the heck of it last weekend I asked numerous museum friends about the Nelson Mandela thing and not a single one remembered anything about him dying. That includes me. I have no such memory,

But I'm not doubting a few people have that memory for some reason. Memory is a fickle and unreliable thing. Does that mean quantum mechanics are at play? No, of course not. Let's stick with the obvious solution: memory is a fickle and unreliable thing.

People tend to think memories are perfect recalls of events, which they aren't. 

I've noticed that the main events for these memory oddities tend to tie to two things; either the person making the claim was very young at the time, or the event or idea they are claiming was very far away, or it's both. 

I guess technically that's three things. Oh well. 

It isn't things like, I woke up and my parents were different and I had a family and home I dont remember.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

It isn't things like, I woke up and my parents were different and I had a family and home I dont remember.

There was an episode of The Simpsons like that. Or was it a Family Guy episode? I can't remember.

The point is, don't go way back in time to dinosaur days and step on a butterfly. You just never know what it will do to the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

There was an episode of The Simpsons like that. Or was it a Family Guy episode? I can't remember.

The point is, don't go way back in time to dinosaur days and step on a butterfly. You just never know what it will do to the future.

It was the good one. The Simpsons. 

Still one of my favorite episodes. 

The true story behind the Mandella Effect;

"Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Doctor Sam Beckett led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as "Quantum Leap". Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Beckett prematurely stepped into the Project Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own time was made through brainwave transmissions with Al, the Project Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Beckett could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, putting things right that once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home."

giphy.gif

• Like 7

So Mandela did die in prison ..... until Sam went back and saved him  :tu:

I wonder when he'll get around to preventing Janis Joplin from taking that drug overdose?  Hope he hurries up :) 

(And, then that small matter of the lottery numbers in 1998 when I should have won £18m, which, after careful investment, made me one of the world's leading philanthropists in 2017.  Go on Sam, you know it's right!)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Essan said:

So Mandela did die in prison ..... until Sam went back and saved him  :tu:

I wonder when he'll get around to preventing Janis Joplin from taking that drug overdose?  Hope he hurries up :) 

(And, then that small matter of the lottery numbers in 1998 when I should have won £18m, which, after careful investment, made me one of the world's leading philanthropists in 2017.  Go on Sam, you know it's right!)

Actually, one of Sam's failures was trying to get Mama Cass to share her sandwich with Karen Carpenter. Had he succeeded both of them might be here today.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Actually, one of Sam's failures was trying to get Mama Cass to share her sandwich with Karen Carpenter. Had he succeeded both of them might be here today.

I was going to make a certain comment, but I promised someone that I would behave today....

• Like 4